2001-10-01 19:39:32

by Maurice Volaski

Subject: [HANG] Checking root filesystem and then...

Running on a Netfinity x340 box (single PIII, ServRAID card and
Adaptec 29160LP card, boot disk is ext2 and is attached to the
ServRAID card), a stock 2.4.10 kernel gets to the point of "Checking
root filesystem" and the system simply stops dead in its tracks.

It stops at the line initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /" If I
remove the "initlog", it still stops. If I remove the "fsck", it
stops at the next line (mount -n -o remount, rw /)!

I have systematically tried a number of different kernels and have
discovered that

2.4.10-pre5 works
2.4.10-pre6 hangs

2.4.9-ac7 works
2.4.9-ac8 hangs

How many others are seeing this behavior?

Does anyone recognize something that changed in these kernels that
could be responsible? The only thing I notice in common in the change
logs are references to gendisk. (I am not sure how that could be
responsible as the boot disk is a SCSI disk managed the ServRAID
driver.)

Does anyone have any idea how this could be further investigated?
--

Maurice Volaski, [email protected]

by Christoph Hellwig

Subject: Re: [HANG] Checking root filesystem and then...

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:39:36PM -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
> Running on a Netfinity x340 box (single PIII, ServRAID card and
> Adaptec 29160LP card, boot disk is ext2 and is attached to the
> ServRAID card), a stock 2.4.10 kernel gets to the point of "Checking
> root filesystem" and the system simply stops dead in its tracks.
>
> It stops at the line initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /" If I
> remove the "initlog", it still stops. If I remove the "fsck", it
> stops at the next line (mount -n -o remount, rw /)!
>
> I have systematically tried a number of different kernels and have
> discovered that
>
> 2.4.10-pre5 works
> 2.4.10-pre6 hangs
>
> 2.4.9-ac7 works
> 2.4.9-ac8 hangs

2.4.9-ac17+ should work again, could you test it please?

Christoph

by Maurice Volaski

>On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:39:36PM -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
>> Running on a Netfinity x340 box (single PIII, ServRAID card and
>> Adaptec 29160LP card, boot disk is ext2 and is attached to the
>> ServRAID card), a stock 2.4.10 kernel gets to the point of "Checking
>> root filesystem" and the system simply stops dead in its tracks.
>>
>> It stops at the line initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /" If I
>> remove the "initlog", it still stops. If I remove the "fsck", it
>> stops at the next line (mount -n -o remount, rw /)!
>>
>> I have systematically tried a number of different kernels and have
>> discovered that
>>
>> 2.4.10-pre5 works
>> 2.4.10-pre6 hangs
>>
>> 2.4.9-ac7 works
>> 2.4.9-ac8 hangs
>
>2.4.9-ac17+ should work again, could you test it please?

Yes, it works!

--

Maurice Volaski, [email protected]