2005-09-06 21:12:49

by Maurice Volaski

Subject: Kernel 2.6.13 is hiding devices from /dev [Was Why is the kernel hiding drbd devices?}

The kernel module drbd (version 0.7.13) can no longer find its
devices (e.g., /dev/drbd0, /dev/drbd1) in kernel 2.6.13. The version
of udev I am using 065/068 didn't make a difference. It works fine
with kernel 2.6.12.5 and 2.6.12.6.
--

Maurice Volaski, [email protected]

by Lee Revell

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 17:13 -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
> The kernel module drbd (version 0.7.13) can no longer find its
> devices (e.g., /dev/drbd0, /dev/drbd1) in kernel 2.6.13. The version
> of udev I am using 065/068 didn't make a difference. It works fine
> with kernel 2.6.12.5 and 2.6.12.6.

What is drbd? An out of tree driver? Did it work with 2.6.13-rcX? If
not, why didn't they tell us sooner? Does it expect devfs to be present
in the kernel by any chance?

Lee

2005-09-07 04:44:50

by Maurice Volaski

>What is drbd? An out of tree driver? Did it work with 2.6.13-rcX? If

Yes, it implements RAID 1 across two computers over a network link in
realtime. Generally, you combine with a program called heartbeat to
implement high-availabilty failover. It's very neat ;-)

>not, why didn't they tell us sooner? Does it expect devfs to be present
>in the kernel by any chance?

It's actually working now. Don't ask me to explain it because last
night and most of Monday I couldn't get it working and I must have
compiled half a dozen different Gentoo kernel versions of 2.6.12, and
it worked with some but not others. It worked perfectly with the
official 2.6.12 but not with official 2.6.13. Then suddenly it just
started to work again on all the Gentoo 2.6.12s it wouldn't work with
and also with the official 2.6.13. I have 2.6.13 running right now,
and drbd devices show up in /dev as if there never had been any
problem.
--

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 00:45 -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
> >What is drbd? An out of tree driver? Did it work with 2.6.13-rcX? If
>
> Yes, it implements RAID 1 across two computers over a network link in
> realtime. Generally, you combine with a program called heartbeat to
> implement high-availabilty failover. It's very neat ;-)

They should get it merged then. Anyway, I'm glad it's working...

Lee

2005-09-07 05:30:44

by Lars Ellenberg

/ 2005-09-07 01:03:00 -0400
\ Lee Revell:
> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 00:45 -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
> > >What is drbd? An out of tree driver? Did it work with 2.6.13-rcX? If
> >
> > Yes, it implements RAID 1 across two computers over a network link in
> > realtime. Generally, you combine with a program called heartbeat to
> > implement high-availabilty failover. It's very neat ;-)
>
> They should get it merged then. Anyway, I'm glad it's working...

will do, once we have it (or, the next generation of it) in shape.
maybe this year, probably next spring/summer ...

--
: Lars Ellenberg Tel +43-1-8178292-0 :
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH Fax +43-1-8178292-82 :