2020-06-11 09:02:34

by Paul Menzel

Subject: Intel laptop: Starting with `maxcpus=1` and then bringing other CPUs online freezes system

Dear Linux folks,

This is an interesting one. On a Dell Precision 3540 with a dedicated
AMD graphics card, and with Debian Sid/unstable and Linux 5.6.14, there
are several strange issues (one example [1]).

Starting the system, and adding `maxcpus=1` to the Linux command line,
the system starts.

Trying to bring up more CPUs, works for the first one, but fails for the
second. The system freezes then. Nothing is dumped on the Linux virtual
terminal.

In my limited tests, this always happens, when the system runs on
batteries, that means, without the power cord plugged in. But I was also
able to reproduce it with the USB Type-C power cable plugged in. But
sometimes it works (to bring all other seven CPUs online).

Please find the Linux messages up to bringing CPU 1 online attached with
no power cord plugged in, and the messages of a successful operation.

Is this expected? I’d appreciated tips, if it’s possible to debug this
further.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1883065

Attachments:
linux-5.6.14-dmesg-maxcpus1-on-battery-up-to-2nd-cpu.txt (85.24 kB)
linux-5.6.14-dmesg-maxcpus1-with-charger-all-cpus-online.txt (86.13 kB)

by Mario Limonciello

From some other similar reports I've heard this could be related to the ucode
loader with the initramfs as a debugging tactic.

2020-06-11 16:20:46

by Borislav Petkov

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 01:13:27PM +0000, [email protected] wrote:
> From some other similar reports I've heard this could be related to the ucode
> loader with the initramfs as a debugging tactic.

There's a cmdline param for that: "dis_ucode_ldr".

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette