2007-09-26 14:57:42

by John Z. Bohach

Subject: __kernel_vsyscall () hangs in SIGCHLD handler

Is there some reason that syslog() sleeps in __kernel_vsyscall() when
invoked from a signal handler? Is it that I am not allowed to call any
system calls from inside a signal handler?

I use syslog() from a daemon client/server sys. app. that (tries) to log
whenever a child exits. I've registered a sigChld handler via
sigaction(using SA_SIGINFO semantics), and everything works fine and is
fully functional, including calls to syslog() in the normal program
flow. However, if I try to use syslog() from inside the signal handler
itself, it never returns.

Tracing the program with gdb, I get:

Attaching to program: lfsad, process 8845
`system-supplied DSO at 0xffffe000' has disappeared; keeping its
symbols.
[New Thread -1211890000 (LWP 8845)]
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2
Loaded symbols for /lib/libz.so.1
Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.6
Loaded symbols for /lib/librt.so.1
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Loaded symbols for /lib/libdl.so.2
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Loaded symbols for /lib/libpthread.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0xb7d2457e in __lll_mutex_lock_wait () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0xb7d14d6d in _L_mutex_lock_621 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3 0x08511b18 in ?? ()
#4 0xbf86b64d in ?? ()
#5 0xbf86b628 in ?? ()
#6 0xbf86b578 in ?? ()
#7 0xb7d76320 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
#8 0xfbad8001 in ?? ()
#9 0x00000014 in ?? ()
#10 0x00000000 in ?? ()

If I check its status in /proc/8845/status, I see that its sleeping. If
I remove the call to syslog() in the signal handler, everything is
fine, no sleeping, and the rest of the syslog() work fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
John

2007-09-26 17:03:44

by Ulrich Drepper

Subject: Re: __kernel_vsyscall () hangs in SIGCHLD handler

On 9/26/07, John Z. Bohach <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there some reason that syslog() sleeps in __kernel_vsyscall() when
> invoked from a signal handler?

Only very few functions are allowed to be called from signal handlers.
This is clearly spelled out in the POSIX spec. Section XSH 2.4.3
lists the allowed functions. syslog of course is not on it.

2007-09-26 18:51:44

by John Z. Bohach

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 10:03:33 Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On 9/26/07, John Z. Bohach <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is there some reason that syslog() sleeps in __kernel_vsyscall()
> > when invoked from a signal handler?
>
> Only very few functions are allowed to be called from signal
> handlers. This is clearly spelled out in the POSIX spec. Section XSH
> 2.4.3 lists the allowed functions. syslog of course is not on it. -
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to [email protected]

Thank you for this information...also thanks to Giacomo who answered me
offline...

--john

2007-09-26 19:12:18

by Mikael Pettersson

Ulrich Drepper writes:
> On 9/26/07, John Z. Bohach <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is there some reason that syslog() sleeps in __kernel_vsyscall() when
> > invoked from a signal handler?
>
> Only very few functions are allowed to be called from signal handlers.
> This is clearly spelled out in the POSIX spec. Section XSH 2.4.3
> lists the allowed functions. syslog of course is not on it.

The Linux kernel itself imposes no restrictions on what you can
do in user-space signal handlers.

However, user-space is a different story. The interrupted thread
may have held a lock, in which case calling code from the signal
handler that tries to take the same lock may result in a deadlock.
Or the thread may be been in the process of updating some private
data, in which case calling code from the signal handler that tries
to access that data may result in data corruption. And then there's
libc which may wrap your signal handler with code doing unspecified
libc magic. And so on, the possibilities for failure are endless :-)