2002-02-06 11:05:13

by Shiva Raman Pandey

Subject: Router Discovery Messages

Can any body tell me, whether the ICMP Router Discovery Messages (RFC 1256)
are implemented in Linux kernel code of version 2.2.14 or 2.4.9 or not?
If yes then in which .c file(s) and .h(files) ?

Regards
Shiva

2002-02-06 14:37:15

by Matti Aarnio

Subject: Re: Router Discovery Messages

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:37:21PM +0530, Shiva Raman Pandey wrote:
> Can any body tell me, whether the ICMP Router Discovery Messages (RFC 1256)
> are implemented in Linux kernel code of version 2.2.14 or 2.4.9 or not?
> If yes then in which .c file(s) and .h(files) ?

It is not supported in kernel.
It is alike BOOTP/DHCP client, fully implementable in usermode process.

To be exact, RFC 1256 predates BOOTP, which was created to solve this
same problem, plus a bunch of other issues. The DHCP is just refinement
of BOOTP.

> Regards
> Shiva

/Matti Aarnio