2007-05-10 00:37:55

by NeilBrown

Subject: Please revert 5b479c91da90eef605f851508744bfe8269591a0 (md partition rescan)

Hi Linus,
Could you please revert

5b479c91da90eef605f851508744bfe8269591a0

It causes an oops when auto-detecting raid arrays, and it doesn't seem
easy to fix.
The array may not be 'open' when do_md_run is called, so bdev->bd_disk
might be NULL, so bd_set_size can oops.
I cannot really open the array (blkdev_get) at this point as I
deadlock on mddev->reconfig_mutex.
I could simply guard against bdev->bd_disk being NULL, but that is too
ugly as sometimes the partitions would be found, and sometimes not.

This whole approach of opening an md device before it has been
assembled just seems to get more and more painful. I think I'm going
to have to come up with something clever to provide both backward
comparability with usage expectation, and sane integration into the
rest of the kernel.
Maybe if you open before the array is assembled you get a completely
different bdev somehow, and on array assembly, a new bdev, or gendisk
or something, gets swapped in so the next open finds it....

Anyway, if that patch can go I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
NeilBrown

2007-05-10 01:51:51

by Linus Torvalds

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Neil Brown wrote:

> Hi Linus,
> Could you please revert
>
> 5b479c91da90eef605f851508744bfe8269591a0

Done.

(But Andrew never saw your email, I suspect: "[email protected]" is probably
some strange mixup of Andrew Morton and Andi Kleen in your mind ;)

Linus

2007-05-10 14:57:30

by Jan Engelhardt

On May 9 2007 18:51, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>(But Andrew never saw your email, I suspect: "[email protected]" is probably
>some strange mixup of Andrew Morton and Andi Kleen in your mind ;)

What do the letters kp stand for?

Jan

by Xavier Bestel

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 16:51 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >(But Andrew never saw your email, I suspect: "[email protected]" is
> probably
> >some strange mixup of Andrew Morton and Andi Kleen in your mind ;)
>
> What do the letters kp stand for?

"Keep Patching" ?

2007-05-10 16:48:58

by Satyam Sharma

On 5/10/07, Xavier Bestel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 16:51 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > >(But Andrew never saw your email, I suspect: "[email protected]" is
> > probably
> > >some strange mixup of Andrew Morton and Andi Kleen in your mind ;)
> >
> > What do the letters kp stand for?

Heh ... I've always wanted to know that myself. It's funny, no one
seems to have asked that on lkml during all these years (at least none
that a Google search would throw up).

> "Keep Patching" ?

Unlikely. "akpm" seems to be a pre-Linux-kernel nick.

2007-05-10 19:05:54

by Andrew Morton

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:51:31 +0200 (MEST) Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 9 2007 18:51, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> >(But Andrew never saw your email, I suspect: "[email protected]" is probably
> >some strange mixup of Andrew Morton and Andi Kleen in your mind ;)
>
> What do the letters kp stand for?

Some say "Kernel Programmer". My parents said "Keith Paul".

2007-05-11 00:38:11

by H. Peter Anvin

Satyam Sharma wrote:
>> > probably
>> >
>> > What do the letters kp stand for?
>
> Heh ... I've always wanted to know that myself. It's funny, no one
> seems to have asked that on lkml during all these years (at least none
> that a Google search would throw up).
>
>> "Keep Patching" ?
>
> Unlikely. "akpm" seems to be a pre-Linux-kernel nick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Morton_%28computer_programmer%29

-hpa