2008-01-30 06:41:37

by Cooper Yuan

Subject: About closed-source module use GPL module function

Hi all,

Now I am porting a device driver to Linux, its source code is not opened.

In this module, I use some interface functions exported from GPL
module through EXPORT_SYMBOL macros. (not EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL), For
example, register_sound_dsp() and so on.

Do I violate GPL? How to solve it?

Thanks a lot, any suggestion is appreciated.

Cooper

2008-01-30 07:53:04

by Pekka Enberg

Hi,

On Jan 30, 2008 8:41 AM, CooperYuan Cooper <[email protected]> wrote:
> Now I am porting a device driver to Linux, its source code is not opened.
>
> In this module, I use some interface functions exported from GPL
> module through EXPORT_SYMBOL macros. (not EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL), For
> example, register_sound_dsp() and so on.
>
> Do I violate GPL? How to solve it?

This list is probably a not good source for (free) legal advice but
the simplest way to be sure is to release the source code under GPLv2.
HTH.

Pekka

2008-02-04 14:23:36

by Alan

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:41:24 +0800
"CooperYuan Cooper" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now I am porting a device driver to Linux, its source code is not opened.
>
> In this module, I use some interface functions exported from GPL
> module through EXPORT_SYMBOL macros. (not EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL), For
> example, register_sound_dsp() and so on.
>
> Do I violate GPL? How to solve it?

You should consult your company lawyer.

Alan