2007-05-28 20:16:35

by Robert P. J. Day

Subject: stuff ready to be deleted?

i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
removing dead content from the tree:

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List

currently, the list contains the items:

* 1 Legacy power management
* 2 PCMCIA IOCTL support
* 3 Traffic shaper
* 4 Traffic policing
* 5 Userspace queueing via NETLINK
* 6 ebt: ulog support
* 7 MOXA SmartIO support
* 8 Old I2O ioctls
* 9 Stallion drivers
* 10 SDL RISCom/8 support
* 11 Macintosh M68K support
* 12 Commodore A2232 serial support
* 13 CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING
* 14 kernel_thread()

which of the above are legitimate candidates for removal? which are
already underway in someone's local tree? anything else that can
be added? etc, etc.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

by Jesper Juhl

Subject: Re: stuff ready to be deleted?

On 28/05/07, Robert P. J. Day <[email protected]> wrote:

> i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
> removing dead content from the tree:
>
> http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
>
> currently, the list contains the items:
>
> * 1 Legacy power management
> * 2 PCMCIA IOCTL support
> * 3 Traffic shaper
> * 4 Traffic policing
> * 5 Userspace queueing via NETLINK
> * 6 ebt: ulog support
> * 7 MOXA SmartIO support
> * 8 Old I2O ioctls
> * 9 Stallion drivers
> * 10 SDL RISCom/8 support
> * 11 Macintosh M68K support
> * 12 Commodore A2232 serial support
> * 13 CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING
> * 14 kernel_thread()
>
> which of the above are legitimate candidates for removal? which are
> already underway in someone's local tree? anything else that can
> be added? etc, etc.

Take a look at Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
Some of that stuff is already listed there along with who is in charge
of removing it and when.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Oliver Pinter

+ open sound system

2007-05-28 20:53:28

by Robert P. J. Day

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Oliver Pinter wrote:

> + open sound system

yeah, that one's so obvious, i don't even list it anymore. :-) i'm
assuming adrian's going to deal with that when the time comes.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

by John Anthony Kazos Jr.

> > i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
> > removing dead content from the tree:
> >
> > http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
> >
> > currently, the list contains the items:
> >
> > * 1 Legacy power management
> > * 2 PCMCIA IOCTL support
> > * 3 Traffic shaper
> > * 4 Traffic policing
> > * 5 Userspace queueing via NETLINK
> > * 6 ebt: ulog support
> > * 7 MOXA SmartIO support
> > * 8 Old I2O ioctls
> > * 9 Stallion drivers
> > * 10 SDL RISCom/8 support
> > * 11 Macintosh M68K support
> > * 12 Commodore A2232 serial support
> > * 13 CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING
> > * 14 kernel_thread()
> >
> > which of the above are legitimate candidates for removal? which are
> > already underway in someone's local tree? anything else that can
> > be added? etc, etc.
> >

> Take a look at Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
> Some of that stuff is already listed there along with who is in charge
> of removing it and when.

Let's not get in that catfight again. That file has been demonstrated to
be half too premature and half completely obsolete. He's asking for which
things should he start generating and sending patches and expect them to
not be ignored or angrily shot down. feature-removal-schedule.txt does not
provide this information, again as has been demonstrated.

Of course, it would be great if it were accurate and -did- provide that
information.

2007-05-28 21:18:28

by Jiri Slaby

Robert P. J. Day napsal(a):
> i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
> removing dead content from the tree:
>
> http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
>
> currently, the list contains the items:
[...]
> * 7 MOXA SmartIO support

already scheduled with the MXSER name.

thanks,
--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/ Jiri Slaby
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz

2007-05-28 21:24:04

by Jesper Juhl

On 28/05/07, John Anthony Kazos Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
> > > removing dead content from the tree:
> > >
> > > http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
> > >
> > > currently, the list contains the items:
> > >
> > > * 1 Legacy power management
> > > * 2 PCMCIA IOCTL support
> > > * 3 Traffic shaper
> > > * 4 Traffic policing
> > > * 5 Userspace queueing via NETLINK
> > > * 6 ebt: ulog support
> > > * 7 MOXA SmartIO support
> > > * 8 Old I2O ioctls
> > > * 9 Stallion drivers
> > > * 10 SDL RISCom/8 support
> > > * 11 Macintosh M68K support
> > > * 12 Commodore A2232 serial support
> > > * 13 CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING
> > > * 14 kernel_thread()
> > >
> > > which of the above are legitimate candidates for removal? which are
> > > already underway in someone's local tree? anything else that can
> > > be added? etc, etc.
> > >

> > Take a look at Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
> > Some of that stuff is already listed there along with who is in charge
> > of removing it and when.
>
> Let's not get in that catfight again. That file has been demonstrated to
> be half too premature and half completely obsolete. He's asking for which
> things should he start generating and sending patches and expect them to
> not be ignored or angrily shot down. feature-removal-schedule.txt does not
> provide this information, again as has been demonstrated.
>
> Of course, it would be great if it were accurate and -did- provide that
> information.

Well, at least that file does give him a clue as to who to talk to
about removal of some of the items on the list. It may not be as
up-to-date as it ought to be, but it's still a source of
information/contact info.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Jan Engelhardt

On May 28 2007 16:15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>removing dead content from the tree:
>
>http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
>
>currently, the list contains the items:
>
> * 4 Traffic policing

CONFIG_NET_SCHED? CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE? Neither seems
marked as deprecated/obsoleted in Kconfig.

Jan

by Bill Davidsen

Oliver Pinter wrote:
> + open sound system

Why?

OSS supports some hardware ALSA doesn't, it's maintained by an
independent commercial company (4Front) so maintenance isn't an issue,
and it's portable to many other operating systems.

Functionality and low TCO, what could be better?

New Linux code, including x86_64 3D drivers, was released in April, so
there's no lack of new features and activity.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>

by Robert P. J. Day

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On May 28 2007 16:15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >removing dead content from the tree:
> >
> >http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
> >
> >currently, the list contains the items:
> >
> > * 4 Traffic policing
>
> CONFIG_NET_SCHED? CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE? Neither seems
> marked as deprecated/obsoleted in Kconfig.

the "traffic policing" entry in that list refers specifically to the
config option "CLS_NET_POLICE" in net/sched/Kconfig:

config NET_CLS_POLICE
bool "Traffic Policing (obsolete)"
depends on NET_CLS_ACT!=y
select NET_ESTIMATOR
---help---
Say Y here if you want to do traffic policing, i.e. strict
bandwidth limiting. This option is obsoleted by the traffic
policer implemented as action, it stays here for compatibility
reasons.

so ... does "obsolete" really mean "obsolete"?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

by Jeff Garzik

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> OSS [is] maintained by an
> independent commercial company (4Front) so maintenance isn't an issue,

False. OSS drivers have been largely maintainerless for years.

Jeff

2007-05-28 22:42:27

by Robert P. J. Day

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>

> > On May 28 2007 16:15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >removing dead content from the tree:
> > >
> > >http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
> > >
> > >currently, the list contains the items:
> > >
> > > * 4 Traffic policing
> >
> > CONFIG_NET_SCHED? CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE? Neither seems
> > marked as deprecated/obsoleted in Kconfig.
>
> the "traffic policing" entry in that list refers specifically to the
> config option "CLS_NET_POLICE" in net/sched/Kconfig:
>
> config NET_CLS_POLICE
> bool "Traffic Policing (obsolete)"
> depends on NET_CLS_ACT!=y
> select NET_ESTIMATOR
> ---help---
> Say Y here if you want to do traffic policing, i.e. strict
> bandwidth limiting. This option is obsoleted by the traffic
> policer implemented as action, it stays here for compatibility
> reasons.
>
> so ... does "obsolete" really mean "obsolete"?

whoops, the URL i gave above is only for the main page, not for the
specific "stuff to be removed" list here:

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Stuff_to_be_removed

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

by Daniel Hazelton

On Monday 28 May 2007 16:52:07 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> > + open sound system
>
> yeah, that one's so obvious, i don't even list it anymore. :-) i'm
> assuming adrian's going to deal with that when the time comes.
>
> rday

And I thought OSS was being kept around until all the hardware it drives
properly is also supported by ALSA. Last time this one came up there were
still more than 5 items on the list of OSS supported hardware that wasn't
covered under ALSA - and the list was likely longer.

DRH

2007-05-29 06:10:02

by Jan Engelhardt

On May 28 2007 18:25, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>On Mon, 28 May 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>> >currently, the list contains the items:
>> >
>> > * 4 Traffic policing
>>
>> CONFIG_NET_SCHED? CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE? Neither seems
>> marked as deprecated/obsoleted in Kconfig.
>
>the "traffic policing" entry in that list refers specifically to the
>config option "CLS_NET_POLICE" in net/sched/Kconfig:
>
>config NET_CLS_POLICE
> bool "Traffic Policing (obsolete)"
> depends on NET_CLS_ACT!=y
>
>so ... does "obsolete" really mean "obsolete"?

Have you taken a look at the Makefile? See this oddity:

obj-$(CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE) += act_police.o
obj-$(CONFIG_NET_CLS_POLICE) += act_police.o

So is the Kconfig entry all that is obsolete?

Jan

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
> removing dead content from the tree:
>
> http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
>
> currently, the list contains the items:

[...]

> * 11 Macintosh M68K support

It's not that because Mac/m68k went skipped 2.4.x that it should be removed...

> * 12 Commodore A2232 serial support

M68k doesn't do SMP, so BROKEN_ON_SMP is IMHO not a good reason...

[...]

> which of the above are legitimate candidates for removal? which are
> already underway in someone's local tree? anything else that can
> be added? etc, etc.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2007-05-29 08:21:53

by Robert P. J. Day

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> CONFIG_NET_SCHED? CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE? Neither seems
> >> marked as deprecated/obsoleted in Kconfig.
> >
> >the "traffic policing" entry in that list refers specifically to the
> >config option "CLS_NET_POLICE" in net/sched/Kconfig:
> >
> >config NET_CLS_POLICE
> > bool "Traffic Policing (obsolete)"
> > depends on NET_CLS_ACT!=y
> >
> >so ... does "obsolete" really mean "obsolete"?
>
> Have you taken a look at the Makefile? See this oddity:
>
> obj-$(CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE) += act_police.o
> obj-$(CONFIG_NET_CLS_POLICE) += act_police.o
>
> So is the Kconfig entry all that is obsolete?

ah, i hadn't noticed that. how odd. now i don't know *what* to
think.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

by Alan

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:24:55 -0400
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oliver Pinter wrote:
> > + open sound system
>
> Why?
>
> OSS supports some hardware ALSA doesn't, it's maintained by an
> independent commercial company (4Front) so maintenance isn't an issue,
> and it's portable to many other operating systems.

The commercial OSS has been unrelated to the open source once since about
2.0 or thereabouts.

2007-05-29 08:46:14

by David Miller

From: "Robert P. J. Day" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 04:20:24 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, 29 May 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> > >the "traffic policing" entry in that list refers specifically to the
> > >config option "CLS_NET_POLICE" in net/sched/Kconfig:
> > >
> > >config NET_CLS_POLICE
> > > bool "Traffic Policing (obsolete)"
> > > depends on NET_CLS_ACT!=y
> > >
> > >so ... does "obsolete" really mean "obsolete"?
> >
> > Have you taken a look at the Makefile? See this oddity:
> >
> > obj-$(CONFIG_NET_ACT_POLICE) += act_police.o
> > obj-$(CONFIG_NET_CLS_POLICE) += act_police.o
> >
> > So is the Kconfig entry all that is obsolete?
>
> ah, i hadn't noticed that. how odd. now i don't know *what* to
> think.

Look at what tests that config option in the code, not just
what the makefiles do.

2007-05-29 08:47:18

by David Miller

From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:34:02 +0100

> On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:24:55 -0400
> Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Oliver Pinter wrote:
> > > + open sound system
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > OSS supports some hardware ALSA doesn't, it's maintained by an
> > independent commercial company (4Front) so maintenance isn't an issue,
> > and it's portable to many other operating systems.
>
> The commercial OSS has been unrelated to the open source once since about
> 2.0 or thereabouts.

But for some strange reason Hannu stays subscribed to linux-kernel
all these years :-)

2007-05-29 13:04:45

by Finn Thain

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i'm trying to keep track of kernel janitor projects that involve
> > removing dead content from the tree:
> >
> > http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Janitor%27s_Todo_List
> >
> > currently, the list contains the items:
>
> [...]
>
> > * 11 Macintosh M68K support
>
> It's not that because Mac/m68k went skipped 2.4.x that it should be removed...

It is true that the MAINTAINERS file is out of date. I suggest we remove
the maintainers file ;-)

-f