2008-02-26 18:54:22

by rzryyvzy

Subject: Is there a memory block device?

I know that tmpfs is a memmory filesystem. Is there a possibility to create also a memory block device?
Is there a possibility to create for example a 1 GB memory block device (from the RAM)?

--
E-Mail sent with anti-spam site TrashMail.net!
Free disposable email addresses: http://www.trashmail.net/

2008-02-26 19:07:50

by Valdis Klētnieks

Subject: Re: Is there a memory block device?

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:53:36 +0100, rzryyvzy said:
> I know that tmpfs is a memmory filesystem. Is there a possibility to create also a memory block device?
> Is there a possibility to create for example a 1 GB memory block device (from the RAM)?

A better question would be:

What problem are you trying to solve by ysing a "memory block device"? There
may well be other approaches that would work better, but it's hard to say.
Are you trying to avoid the buffer cache pool? Ensure pages are in physical
memory? Or some other problem?

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2008-02-26 20:04:34

by Sven-Haegar Koch

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, rzryyvzy wrote:

> I know that tmpfs is a memmory filesystem. Is there a possibility to
> create also a memory block device?
> Is there a possibility to create for example a 1 GB memory block device
> (from the RAM)?

There are the /dev/ram* devices, created through kernel config
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM (RAM disk support), kernel module rd.ko

But I'm not sure how to configure their size besides setting the kernel
config option, it's a long time ago that I used them last.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around
it. (John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)