2008-11-18 20:49:18

by Geert Uytterhoeven

Subject: linux-m68k.git

(Finally) I created an experimental git tree for Linux/m68k:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git

It contains more or less all patches I had in my quilt series at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geert/linux-m68k-patches-2.6/
A notable exception is m68k-PRIVATE-m68k-changes.diff, which hardcoded ARCH to
m68k.

As suggested by David Woodhouse, I grouped the commits by topic. But unlike
David's suggestion, I used topic branches, not topic repositories. Oh well,
we'll see...

I also created for-next and for-linus branches. Do they look OK?

If I did something wrong, please let me know.
This is still experimental stuff, which may be rebased if needed.

In addition, one day I may pull from Ralf's repository that reflects the state
of Linux/m68k CVS a few commits before our server died...

Thanks for all your (past and future) help, suggestions, tips and tricks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2008-11-18 20:58:07

by Sam Ravnborg

Subject: Re: linux-m68k.git

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:49:01PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> (Finally) I created an experimental git tree for Linux/m68k:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git
>
> It contains more or less all patches I had in my quilt series at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geert/linux-m68k-patches-2.6/
> A notable exception is m68k-PRIVATE-m68k-changes.diff, which hardcoded ARCH to
> m68k.
>
> As suggested by David Woodhouse, I grouped the commits by topic. But unlike
> David's suggestion, I used topic branches, not topic repositories. Oh well,
> we'll see...
>
> I also created for-next and for-linus branches. Do they look OK?
>
> If I did something wrong, please let me know.
> This is still experimental stuff, which may be rebased if needed.
>
> In addition, one day I may pull from Ralf's repository that reflects the state
> of Linux/m68k CVS a few commits before our server died...
>
> Thanks for all your (past and future) help, suggestions, tips and tricks!

If you plan to keep it then it would be nice if
you could add a T: entry to MAINTAINERS.
This way we can find it again later...

Sam

2008-11-18 21:20:18

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Geert,

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:49:01 +0100 (CET) Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]> wrote:

> (Finally) I created an experimental git tree for Linux/m68k:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git
>
> It contains more or less all patches I had in my quilt series at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geert/linux-m68k-patches-2.6/
> A notable exception is m68k-PRIVATE-m68k-changes.diff, which hardcoded ARCH to
> m68k.
>
> I also created for-next and for-linus branches. Do they look OK?

They look good. I have added the for-linus branch as my m68k-current
tree and changed my m68k tree over to the for-next branch.

> If I did something wrong, please let me know.
> This is still experimental stuff, which may be rebased if needed.

That's fine as long as the commits in the for-next branch are: posted
somewhere relevant, reviewed, tested and destined for the next merge
window. (None of these requirements have changed from what should have
been in your quilt tree.)

I expect the for-linus branch to be fixes and stuff for the current
release.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.18 kB)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Michael Schmitz

Hi Geert,

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> (Finally) I created an experimental git tree for Linux/m68k:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git

Sweet :-) Cloning already.

> It contains more or less all patches I had in my quilt series at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geert/linux-m68k-patches-2.6/
> A notable exception is m68k-PRIVATE-m68k-changes.diff, which hardcoded ARCH to
> m68k.
>
> As suggested by David Woodhouse, I grouped the commits by topic. But unlike
> David's suggestion, I used topic branches, not topic repositories. Oh well,
> we'll see...

As most of your 'topcis' are rather small self-contained patch sets, that should
be OK.

Thanks so much!

Michael

2008-11-19 08:14:34

by Ralf Baechle

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:49:01PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> (Finally) I created an experimental git tree for Linux/m68k:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git
>
> It contains more or less all patches I had in my quilt series at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geert/linux-m68k-patches-2.6/
> A notable exception is m68k-PRIVATE-m68k-changes.diff, which hardcoded ARCH to
> m68k.
>
> As suggested by David Woodhouse, I grouped the commits by topic. But unlike
> David's suggestion, I used topic branches, not topic repositories. Oh well,
> we'll see...

That's easy enough to undo if the need should arise.

> I also created for-next and for-linus branches. Do they look OK?
>
> If I did something wrong, please let me know.
> This is still experimental stuff, which may be rebased if needed.
>
> In addition, one day I may pull from Ralf's repository that reflects the state
> of Linux/m68k CVS a few commits before our server died...

It's CVS that must die, not the poor server ;-) If you're actually going
to pull the old CVS stuff into the new git repository and you happen to have
a newer snapshot than the one which I've converted I can re-run my converter.

Ralf

2008-11-19 08:44:20

by Geert Uytterhoeven

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:49:01 +0100 (CET) Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]> wrote:
> > (Finally) I created an experimental git tree for Linux/m68k:
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git
> >
> > It contains more or less all patches I had in my quilt series at
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geert/linux-m68k-patches-2.6/
> > A notable exception is m68k-PRIVATE-m68k-changes.diff, which hardcoded ARCH to
> > m68k.
> >
> > I also created for-next and for-linus branches. Do they look OK?
>
> They look good. I have added the for-linus branch as my m68k-current

What's the purpose of your m68k-current tree? There should not be anything
in m68k#for-linus that's not in m68k#for-next.

> tree and changed my m68k tree over to the for-next branch.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2008-11-19 09:29:27

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Geert,

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:44:03 +0100 (CET) Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]> wrote:

> What's the purpose of your m68k-current tree? There should not be anything
> in m68k#for-linus that's not in m68k#for-next.

I have a set of trees (15 so far) that are just patches pending for the
current release (mostly bug fixes). These trees are usually empty (since
things get sent to Linus fairly quickly during the -rc's) but it means
that between the time between when the fixes are ready and when Linus
integrates them, people testing linux-next don't have to worry about bugs
that already have fixes.

Having them in a (logically) separate tree, as far as linux-next is
concerned, means that if I have to drop your -next tree for any reason
then the bug fixes can stay.
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments: