2010-12-31 06:32:13

by Anca Emanuel

Subject: Re: is there a fix for ubuntu with intel GPU booting to blank screen?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Robert P. J. Day <[email protected]> wrote:

> ?i've posted on a couple other lists but i figured i'd ask the
> experts. ?on my updated/upgraded ubuntu system (gateway NV79 with
> intel GPU), i've built my own kernel from the latest linus git tree as
> i've done many times in the past, but this kernel boots to a blank
> screen. ?here's a reference that seems to nicely summarize my
> situation:
>
> ?https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/561802
>
> ?weirdly, i'm currently running an earlier "rc" hand-rolled git
> kernel which works fine:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux lynx 2.6.37-rc5+ #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 12:09:02 EST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> $
>
> (even though it says lynx, it's maverick simply fully updated.)
>
> ?and this is from lspci:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> ? ? ? ?Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 031c
> ? ? ? ?Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 41
> ? ? ? ?Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
> ? ? ? ?Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> ? ? ? ?I/O ports at 3050 [size=8]
> ? ? ? ?Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
> ? ? ? ?Capabilities: <access denied>
> ? ? ? ?Kernel driver in use: i915
> ? ? ? ?Kernel modules: i915
> ... snip ..
>
> ?i've tried various suggestions from google, as in "modeset noacpi"
> and others, but nothing works to get video on my rc7+ kernel. ?the
> rc5+ verison, though, boots properly without incident. ?and the link i
> gave to launchpad above suggests, at the bottom, that even as late as
> dec 12, people were still having problems.
>
> ?i'm open to suggestions, not scared to patch my kernel source and
> rebuild and reboot.
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?http://crashcourse.ca
>
> Twitter: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? http://twitter.com/rpjday
> LinkedIn: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

CC: lkml

did you tried 2.6.37-rc8-git1 ?

2010-12-31 14:23:46

by Robert P. J. Day

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Anca Emanuel wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Robert P. J. Day <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > ?i've posted on a couple other lists but i figured i'd ask the
> > experts. ?on my updated/upgraded ubuntu system (gateway NV79 with
> > intel GPU), i've built my own kernel from the latest linus git tree as
> > i've done many times in the past, but this kernel boots to a blank
> > screen. ?here's a reference that seems to nicely summarize my
> > situation:
> >
> > ?https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/561802
> >
> > ?weirdly, i'm currently running an earlier "rc" hand-rolled git
> > kernel which works fine:
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux lynx 2.6.37-rc5+ #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 12:09:02 EST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > $
> >
> > (even though it says lynx, it's maverick simply fully updated.)
> >
> > ?and this is from lspci:
> >
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
> > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> > ? ? ? ?Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 031c
> > ? ? ? ?Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 41
> > ? ? ? ?Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
> > ? ? ? ?Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> > ? ? ? ?I/O ports at 3050 [size=8]
> > ? ? ? ?Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
> > ? ? ? ?Capabilities: <access denied>
> > ? ? ? ?Kernel driver in use: i915
> > ? ? ? ?Kernel modules: i915
> > ... snip ..
> >
> > ?i've tried various suggestions from google, as in "modeset noacpi"
> > and others, but nothing works to get video on my rc7+ kernel. ?the
> > rc5+ verison, though, boots properly without incident. ?and the link i
> > gave to launchpad above suggests, at the bottom, that even as late as
> > dec 12, people were still having problems.
> >
> > ?i'm open to suggestions, not scared to patch my kernel source and
> > rebuild and reboot.
>
> CC: lkml
>
> did you tried 2.6.37-rc8-git1 ?

i just did a "git pull" to get the latest (-rc8) and "git log" shows
me:

commit 3643e0e87c13c670a0fdcd0c34401b38b36ff021
Merge: e983dc2 cc6455f
Author: Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>
Date: Thu Dec 30 12:09:26 2010 -0800

Merge branch 'drm-intel-fixes' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ickle/drm-intel

* 'drm-intel-fixes' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ickle/drm-intel:
drm/i915/dvo: Report LVDS attached to ch701x as connected
Revert "drm/i915/bios: Reverse order of 100/120 Mhz SSC clocks"
drm/i915: Verify Ironlake eDP presence on DP_A using the capability fuse
drm/i915, intel_ips: When i915 loads after IPS, make IPS relink to i915.
drm/i915/sdvo: Add hdmi connector properties after initing the connector
drm/i915: Set the required VFMUNIT clock gating disable on Ironlake.

no change, still prints "failed to load i915 symbols, graphics turbo
disabled" just before it all goes black but it clearly continues to
boot.

not to sound self-important but this is kind of a show-stopper, is
it not? right now, i have exactly one bootable kernel (hand-rolled
2.6.37-rc5+) and i have no idea *why* that one boots properly but,
under the circumstances, i can't move on. i'm willing to do any
testing if that would help the cause but i suspect enough people are
already digging into this so i'll just be patient and test the next
pass to see if that solves it.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

by Maxim Levitsky

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 09:23 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> [...]
> drm/i915: Verify Ironlake eDP presence on DP_A using the capability fuse
> drm/i915, intel_ips: When i915 loads after IPS, make IPS relink to i915.
> drm/i915/sdvo: Add hdmi connector properties after initing the connector
> drm/i915: Set the required VFMUNIT clock gating disable on Ironlake.
>

> no change, still prints "failed to load i915 symbols, graphics turbo
> disabled" just before it all goes black but it clearly continues to
> boot.
>
> not to sound self-important but this is kind of a show-stopper, is
> it not? right now, i have exactly one bootable kernel (hand-rolled
> 2.6.37-rc5+) and i have no idea *why* that one boots properly but,
> under the circumstances, i can't move on. i'm willing to do any
> testing if that would help the cause but i suspect enough people are
> already digging into this so i'll just be patient and test the next
Since you know how to compile kernel, and even have a close working
version, you really should just bisect the bug.

Bisection is a built-in in the git binary search that allows you to find
the first commit that introduced the bug.

For example, quick google gives,
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/v1.0.13/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2010-12-31 17:02:06

by Robert P. J. Day

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

... snip related to i915 blank screen issues ...

> Since you know how to compile kernel, and even have a close working
> version, you really should just bisect the bug.
>
> Bisection is a built-in in the git binary search that allows you to
> find the first commit that introduced the bug.
>
> For example, quick google gives,
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/v1.0.13/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt

oh, i know how to do bisection but, to be frank, i just don't have
the time. i'm under a brutal deadline for some billable work and,
even if i had the time, i suspect that when i eventually tracked down
the commit, i probably wouldn't really appreciate what i was looking
at, anyway.

i've done some searching on the issue and, among other pages, i've
come up with this one:

so i downloaded the kernel mentioned there and tested that, but no
luck. mostly, i understand that there top men -- *top* *men* --
working on this :-) who know far more about the graphics subsystem
than i do so i'm just going to stay out of their way, but i'm willing
to test any proposed solutions if they come up. my biggest worry is
that, given that we're already at -rc8, will this issue be fixed
before the next official release?

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 12:01 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>
> ... snip related to i915 blank screen issues ...
>
> > Since you know how to compile kernel, and even have a close working
> > version, you really should just bisect the bug.
> >
> > Bisection is a built-in in the git binary search that allows you to
> > find the first commit that introduced the bug.
> >
> > For example, quick google gives,
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/v1.0.13/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt
>
> oh, i know how to do bisection but, to be frank, i just don't have
> the time. i'm under a brutal deadline for some billable work and,
> even if i had the time, i suspect that when i eventually tracked down
> the commit, i probably wouldn't really appreciate what i was looking
> at, anyway.
You truly underestimate this.
Having commit that broke things points perfectly at the issue.
Then, developers can even just revert the offending commit until it is
understood why it breaks stuff.

I have done many bisections in the past, and lot of bugs were fixed that
way.

I personally can't help you with the issue, because I am nether familiar
with the hardware nor with the driver, but I just say what I do when I
get a regression (and this not uncommon).

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky