2008-08-06 02:01:25

by David Miller

Subject: [GIT]: Networking

Here are the pending networking bits.

There was going to be the addition of the ath9k wireless driver but
there was some fallout that is being worked on right now (linux/list.h
changes needed lkml review, ath9k driver triggered some gcc aborts,
all kinds of fun stuff :-) so hopefully it will make it in the next
pass. I tried to wait an extra day for it to be resolved, but that
was optimistic.

Highlights:

1) Intel driver guys triggered an OOPS when setting MTU during
a busy transmit stream, which turned out to be a qdisc locking
error.

Fix the bug, and in the next commit add some assertions to
qdisc_root_lock() to make sure it is only used in contexts where
it is safe (basically, it can only be used when RTNL is held)

2) Neighbour table procfs output can miss entries, fix from
Chris Larson.

3) When traffic classifier actions in the packet scheduler return
certain status values, this can end up corrupting root level
qdisc queue lengths and cause other weirdness. Based upon some
collaboration between Patrick McHardy, Jarek Poplawski, and
myself Jarek composed a patch which uses flag bits (which
get masked out before anything outside the qdisc layer can see
them) to indicate exactly which actions should be performed
on qdiscs leading up to the root.

4) Lennert Buytenhek did some really nice analysis on a network
device that cannot do TSO offloading in hardware. He checked
out what happens if you enable the software TSO mechanism fallback
we have in the kernel, and it improves CPU utilization tremendously.

It is safe to do this as long as the device in question can
support scatter-gather.

Herbert and I are discussing a way to do this even more efficiently
with some help from the device (currently the code has to allocate
extra sk_buff objects as we split up the TSO frame, and then do
a bunch of extra page ref counting, when all we need is some headers
and some way to say where the data portion split points are).

If this causes any problems whatsoever, it's trivial to revert this.

5) Matt Carlson fixed the tg3 driver "sleeping with lock held" problem
caused by the recent PCI power-management tg3 driver changes that
came in from the -mm tree.

6) Robert Olsson fixes two bugs in our packet generator, pktgen.

7) Yang Hongyang and herbert Xu resolved some local fragmentation
issues on the output path, particularly with ipv6.

8) Wireless driver updates and fixes from John Linville and co.

Please pull, thanks a lot!

The following changes since commit 2b12a4c524812fb3f6ee590a02e65b95c8c32229:
Linus Torvalds (1):
Merge branch 'release' of git://git.kernel.org/.../aegl/linux-2.6

are available in the git repository at:

master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6.git master

Andrea Merello (1):
Rtl8187 PATCH add usb ID for asus wireless link

Chris Larson (2):
net: in the first call to neigh_seq_next, call neigh_get_first, not neigh_get_idx.
net: fix missing pneigh entries in the neighbor seq_file code

Dan Williams (1):
libertas: only enable rtap with mesh firmware

Daniel Drake (1):
mac80211: automatic IBSS channel selection

David S. Miller (6):
Merge branch 'master' of git://git.kernel.org/.../linville/wireless-2.6
pkt_sched: Use qdisc_lock() on already sampled root qdisc.
mac80211: Use queue_lock() in ieee80211_ht_agg_queue_remove().
pkt_sched: Make sure RTNL is held in qdisc_root_lock().
net: Kill plain NET_XMIT_BYPASS.
Merge branch 'no-ath9k' of git://git.kernel.org/.../linville/wireless-2.6

Denis V. Lunev (1):
iwlwifi: RS small compile warnings without CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG

Dmitry Baryshkov (2):
RFKILL: allow one to specify led trigger name
RFKILL: set the status of the leds on activation.

Emmanuel Grumbach (3):
mac80211: pass dtim_period to low level driver
iwlwifi: bug fix in AGG flow - cast const to ULL
iwlwifi: decrement rx skb counter in scan abort handler

Esti Kummer (2):
iwlwifi: corrects power_level in sysfs
iwlwifi: set led register in disassociation

Florian Westphal (1):
ipv6: syncookies: free reqsk on xfrm_lookup error

Gregory Greenman (1):
iwlwifi: memory allocation optimization

Helmut Schaa (1):
ath5k: remove obsolete declaration of struct ieee80211_hw_mode

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (1):
rfkill: query EV_SW states when rfkill-input (re)?connects to a input device

Herbert Xu (1):
sctp: Drop ipfargok in sctp_xmit function

Ivo van Doorn (7):
rt2x00: Fix access permissions on debugfs files
rt2x00: Fix partial antenna configuration
rt2x00: rt61pci needs another millisecond after firmware upload
rt2x00: Fix VGC lower bound initialization
rt2x00: Sequence counter should be protected in irqsave
rt2x00: Fix compile warning
rt2x00: Disable link tuning in rt2500usb

Jarek Poplawski (2):
net_sched: Add qdisc __NET_XMIT_STOLEN flag
net_sched: Add qdisc __NET_XMIT_BYPASS flag

Jiri Slaby (1):
Ath5k: mask out unneeded interrupts

Larry Finger (2):
rtl8187: Fix lockups due to concurrent access to config routine
p54: Fix potential concurrent access to private data

Lennert Buytenhek (1):
net: use software GSO for SG+CSUM capable netdevices

Matt Carlson (1):
tg3: Fix 'scheduling while atomic' errors

Maxim Levitsky (1):
iwl3945: Fix statistics in monitor mode

Mohamed Abbas (1):
iwlwifi: add power save to 5000 HW

Nick Kossifidis (9):
ath5k: Update register list
ath5k: Restore saved initval after POST
ath5k: Misc hw_attach fixes
ath5k: Misc hw_reset updates
ath5k: Do ADC test during reset
ath5k: Reorder calibration calls during reset and update hw_set_power
ath5k: Add RF2425 initial rfgain values
ath5k: Update channel functions
ath5k: Update phy calibration functions

Peter Chubb (1):
rt2500pci: restoring missing line

Ralf Baechle (1):
AX.25: Fix sysctl registration if !CONFIG_AX25_DAMA_SLAVE

Rami Rosen (2):
ipv4: remove unused field in struct flowi (include/net/flow.h).
bridge: fix compile warning in net/bridge/br_netfilter.c

Robert Olsson (2):
pktgen: random flow
pktgen: mac count

Stephen Hemminger (2):
net: eliminate refcounting in backlog queue
bridge: Eliminate unnecessary forward delay

Sven Wegener (2):
net: Add missing extra2 parameter for ip_default_ttl sysctl
iwlwifi: Don't use buffer allocated on the stack for led names

Takashi Iwai (2):
ipw2200 - Fix bad ipw_write8() macro
prism54 - Use offsetof()

Tomas Winkler (16):
mac80211: fix fragmentation kludge
iwlwifi: don't stop queue in the middle of fragmented packet
mac80211: make listen_interval be limited by low level driver
iwlwifi: move iwl4965_mac_ampdu_action to iwl4965-base.c
iwlwifi: move beacon handling to iwl4965-base.c
iwlwifi: move iwl4965_set_pwr_src to iwl4965-base.c
iwlwifi: rename iwl-4695-rs to iwl-agn-rs
iwlwifi: kill iwl4965_fill_rs_info
iwlwifi: use dtim_period from association, and set listen_interval
iwlwifi: rename iwl4965-base.c to iwl-agn.c
iwlwifi: fix checkpatch.pl errors
iwlwifi: rename 4965 to AGN
iwlwifi: HW bug fixes
iwlwifi: implement iwl5000_calc_rssi
iwlwifi: fix unhandled interrupt when HW rfkill is on
iwlwifi: grap nic access before accessing periphery registers

Wei Yongjun (1):
ipv6: Do not drop packet if skb->local_df is set to true

Yang Hongyang (1):
ipv6: Fix the return value of Set Hop-by-Hop options header with NULL data pointer

Zhu Yi (1):
iwl3945: fix merge mistake for packet injection

drivers/net/tg3.c | 20 +-
drivers/net/wireless/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/ath5k.h | 8 +-
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/debug.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/debug.h | 1 -
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/hw.c | 239 ++++--
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/initvals.c | 4 +-
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/phy.c | 185 ++++-
drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/reg.h | 934 +++++++++++++++-----
drivers/net/wireless/ipw2200.c | 5 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/Kconfig | 98 ++-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/Makefile | 13 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-3945-led.c | 33 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-3945-led.h | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-3945.c | 17 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-4965.c | 156 +---
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-5000.c | 71 ++-
.../iwlwifi/{iwl-4965-rs.c => iwl-agn-rs.c} | 327 +++-----
.../iwlwifi/{iwl-4965-rs.h => iwl-agn-rs.h} | 23 +-
.../wireless/iwlwifi/{iwl4965-base.c => iwl-agn.c} | 232 +++--
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-commands.h | 44 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-core.c | 7 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-core.h | 3 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-csr.h | 10 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-debug.h | 4 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-debugfs.c | 11 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-dev.h | 22 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-eeprom.c | 3 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-hcmd.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-led.c | 69 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-led.h | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-power.c | 45 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-power.h | 33 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-prph.h | 12 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-rx.c | 59 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-scan.c | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-sta.c | 4 +-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-tx.c | 86 ++-
drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl3945-base.c | 58 +-
drivers/net/wireless/libertas/main.c | 15 +-
drivers/net/wireless/p54/p54.h | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/p54/p54common.c | 6 +
drivers/net/wireless/prism54/isl_ioctl.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500pci.c | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500usb.c | 20 +-
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00.h | 6 +
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00config.c | 4 +
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00debug.c | 17 +-
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00mac.c | 1 +
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00queue.c | 5 +-
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00usb.c | 4 +-
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00usb.h | 2 +-
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt61pci.c | 5 +
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187.h | 4 +
drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187_dev.c | 17 +-
include/linux/ieee80211.h | 13 +
include/linux/netdevice.h | 4 +-
include/net/dst.h | 12 +-
include/net/flow.h | 1 -
include/net/mac80211.h | 13 +-
include/net/sch_generic.h | 26 +-
include/net/sctp/structs.h | 3 +-
net/ax25/sysctl_net_ax25.c | 14 +-
net/bridge/br_netfilter.c | 2 +-
net/bridge/br_stp.c | 25 +-
net/core/dev.c | 32 +-
net/core/neighbour.c | 13 +-
net/core/pktgen.c | 10 +-
net/ipv4/sysctl_net_ipv4.c | 1 +
net/ipv6/ip6_output.c | 2 +-
net/ipv6/ipv6_sockglue.c | 2 +
net/ipv6/syncookies.c | 22 +-
net/mac80211/ieee80211_i.h | 2 +
net/mac80211/main.c | 5 +
net/mac80211/mlme.c | 39 +-
net/mac80211/tx.c | 17 +-
net/mac80211/util.c | 1 +
net/mac80211/wme.c | 6 +-
net/rfkill/rfkill-input.c | 54 +-
net/rfkill/rfkill.c | 15 +-
net/sched/sch_atm.c | 14 +-
net/sched/sch_cbq.c | 27 +-
net/sched/sch_dsmark.c | 10 +-
net/sched/sch_generic.c | 12 +-
net/sched/sch_hfsc.c | 12 +-
net/sched/sch_htb.c | 24 +-
net/sched/sch_netem.c | 5 +-
net/sched/sch_prio.c | 14 +-
net/sched/sch_red.c | 2 +-
net/sched/sch_sfq.c | 8 +-
net/sched/sch_tbf.c | 3 +-
net/sctp/ipv6.c | 8 +-
net/sctp/output.c | 6 +-
net/sctp/protocol.c | 9 +-
rename drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/{iwl-4965-rs.c => iwl-agn-rs.c} (89%)
rename drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/{iwl-4965-rs.h => iwl-agn-rs.h} (93%)
rename drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/{iwl4965-base.c => iwl-agn.c} (96%)

2008-08-06 02:57:21

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT]: Networking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, David Miller wrote:

> There was going to be the addition of the ath9k wireless driver but
> there was some fallout that is being worked on right now (linux/list.h
> changes needed lkml review, ath9k driver triggered some gcc aborts,
> all kinds of fun stuff :-) so hopefully it will make it in the next
> pass. I tried to wait an extra day for it to be resolved, but that
> was optimistic.

Talking about wireless driver updates - has anybody looked at the RaLink
wireless driver? It's in the newer EeePC's (901 and 1000), and it
actually has a driver from the company which the comments make clear is
GPLv2 too, no apparent oddness or anything:

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0708_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.7.0.0.tar.bz2

which admittedly apparently has some trivial problems (with a trivial
patch as seen at

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195429

I'd love to have that one working, since I have the hardware, and it's
actually reasonable (much more so than the original EeePC, in fact). What
channels should I go through? Is anybody working on integrating it
already?

(Ivo van Doorn added to Cc, since he seems the go-to guy for the rt2x00
driver in the tree, and may have some input).

Linus

2008-08-06 05:59:54

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Linus,

>> There was going to be the addition of the ath9k wireless driver but
>> there was some fallout that is being worked on right now (linux/
>> list.h
>> changes needed lkml review, ath9k driver triggered some gcc aborts,
>> all kinds of fun stuff :-) so hopefully it will make it in the next
>> pass. I tried to wait an extra day for it to be resolved, but that
>> was optimistic.
>
> Talking about wireless driver updates - has anybody looked at the
> RaLink
> wireless driver? It's in the newer EeePC's (901 and 1000), and it
> actually has a driver from the company which the comments make clear
> is
> GPLv2 too, no apparent oddness or anything:
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0708_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.7.0.0.tar.bz2
>
> which admittedly apparently has some trivial problems (with a trivial
> patch as seen at
>
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195429
>
> I'd love to have that one working, since I have the hardware, and it's
> actually reasonable (much more so than the original EeePC, in fact).
> What
> channels should I go through? Is anybody working on integrating it
> already?

I looked at the driver and got it working. However my 901 seems to
have an issue with the antennas. I can do scans, but associating with
an access point or even thinking about transmit keeps failing. Even
with external antennas this still doesn't work. So either my EeePC is
broken or it needs some ACPI magic to enable it. Personally I think
mine is broken since the PCIe hotplug stuff works for the wireless
card and that seems to be their way of doing the rfkill.

The driver itself is painful. It is full of ifdefs and some crazy
build magic. The integrated (to some degree optional) WPA code is
pretty ugly. It has also a full set of iwpriv commands to do all the
settings etc. :(

Regards

Marcel

2008-08-06 06:18:53

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I looked at the driver and got it working. However my 901 seems to have an
> issue with the antennas. I can do scans, but associating with an access point
> or even thinking about transmit keeps failing. Even with external antennas
> this still doesn't work. So either my EeePC is broken or it needs some ACPI
> magic to enable it. Personally I think mine is broken since the PCIe hotplug
> stuff works for the wireless card and that seems to be their way of doing the
> rfkill.

Yeah, the rfkill literally makes the chip go away from the PCI lists, it
seems. But your problems can certainly be somehow driver-related, I
haven't actually _tested_ that thing at all, I got the machine just as the
merge window started, so I've had no time to even play with it.

> The driver itself is painful. It is full of ifdefs and some crazy build magic.
> The integrated (to some degree optional) WPA code is pretty ugly. It has also
> a full set of iwpriv commands to do all the settings etc. :(

Well, it's also trying to support both 2.4.x and 2.6 etc. Yeah, that is
horrid. At the same time, I can't say that the "rewrite it entirely"
approach of the previous-gen cards has worked very well either, since that
seems to have just perpetuated the problems. It would be great to try to
educate them, but I'm not finding even an email address in the sources.

Oh well. I can't really complain, since just the fact that they bothered
to even make sources available still makes them pretty responsible people,
even if the sources are pretty dang ugly.

All the capitalization etc makes me think they are all old DOS and Windows
programmers. UCHAR and USHORT indeed, along with CamelCase functions.

I dunno.

Linus

2008-08-06 07:57:34

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, David Miller wrote:
> >
> > There was going to be the addition of the ath9k wireless driver but
> > there was some fallout that is being worked on right now (linux/list.h
> > changes needed lkml review, ath9k driver triggered some gcc aborts,
> > all kinds of fun stuff :-) so hopefully it will make it in the next
> > pass. I tried to wait an extra day for it to be resolved, but that
> > was optimistic.
>
> Talking about wireless driver updates - has anybody looked at the RaLink
> wireless driver? It's in the newer EeePC's (901 and 1000), and it
> actually has a driver from the company which the comments make clear is
> GPLv2 too, no apparent oddness or anything:
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0708_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.7.0.0.tar.bz2
>
> which admittedly apparently has some trivial problems (with a trivial
> patch as seen at
>
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195429
>
> I'd love to have that one working, since I have the hardware, and it's
> actually reasonable (much more so than the original EeePC, in fact). What
> channels should I go through? Is anybody working on integrating it
> already?

Like the earlier rt2x00 drivers I am rewriting the driver as released by Ralink and
have put it in the rt2x00lib/mac80211 framework. Most of the code is currently done, and the
last part should be done this week. After that it is a matter of testing and comparing
register values with the Ralink driver for the last tweaks.

I doubt the driver will be ready/stable for 2.6.28, but it should be ready for 2.6.29.

Ivo

2008-08-06 07:57:55

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> >
> > I looked at the driver and got it working. However my 901 seems to have an
> > issue with the antennas. I can do scans, but associating with an access point
> > or even thinking about transmit keeps failing. Even with external antennas
> > this still doesn't work. So either my EeePC is broken or it needs some ACPI
> > magic to enable it. Personally I think mine is broken since the PCIe hotplug
> > stuff works for the wireless card and that seems to be their way of doing the
> > rfkill.
>
> Yeah, the rfkill literally makes the chip go away from the PCI lists, it
> seems. But your problems can certainly be somehow driver-related, I
> haven't actually _tested_ that thing at all, I got the machine just as the
> merge window started, so I've had no time to even play with it.
>
> > The driver itself is painful. It is full of ifdefs and some crazy build magic.
> > The integrated (to some degree optional) WPA code is pretty ugly. It has also
> > a full set of iwpriv commands to do all the settings etc. :(
>
> Well, it's also trying to support both 2.4.x and 2.6 etc. Yeah, that is
> horrid. At the same time, I can't say that the "rewrite it entirely"
> approach of the previous-gen cards has worked very well either, since that
> seems to have just perpetuated the problems. It would be great to try to
> educate them, but I'm not finding even an email address in the sources.

I've send a mail to Ralink with a request if they could step away from the
"port the windows driver to linux" idea and get the Linux driver "kernel-ready"
early on.
That won't solve the problem now, but hopefully it does mean the drivers for
the next generation can go into the kernel sooner.

> Oh well. I can't really complain, since just the fact that they bothered
> to even make sources available still makes them pretty responsible people,
> even if the sources are pretty dang ugly.
>
> All the capitalization etc makes me think they are all old DOS and Windows
> programmers. UCHAR and USHORT indeed, along with CamelCase functions.

Well it basically is the Windows driver ported to Linux. ;)

Ivo

2008-08-06 13:32:52

by John W. Linville

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:22:02AM +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > Well, it's also trying to support both 2.4.x and 2.6 etc. Yeah, that is
> > horrid. At the same time, I can't say that the "rewrite it entirely"
> > approach of the previous-gen cards has worked very well either, since that
> > seems to have just perpetuated the problems. It would be great to try to
> > educate them, but I'm not finding even an email address in the sources.
>
> I've send a mail to Ralink with a request if they could step away from the
> "port the windows driver to linux" idea and get the Linux driver "kernel-ready"
> early on.
> That won't solve the problem now, but hopefully it does mean the drivers for
> the next generation can go into the kernel sooner.

The Ralink guys are being educated and AFAICT they are interested in
better participation. Time will tell, of course.

In the meantime as Ivo indicated he is "on the case" -- I think we
will see something before too long.

John
--
John W. Linville

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:22:02AM +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > > Well, it's also trying to support both 2.4.x and 2.6 etc. Yeah, that is
> > > horrid. At the same time, I can't say that the "rewrite it entirely"
> > > approach of the previous-gen cards has worked very well either, since that
> > > seems to have just perpetuated the problems. It would be great to try to
> > > educate them, but I'm not finding even an email address in the sources.
> >
> > I've send a mail to Ralink with a request if they could step away from the
> > "port the windows driver to linux" idea and get the Linux driver "kernel-ready"
> > early on.
> > That won't solve the problem now, but hopefully it does mean the drivers for
> > the next generation can go into the kernel sooner.
>
> The Ralink guys are being educated and AFAICT they are interested in
> better participation. Time will tell, of course.
>
> In the meantime as Ivo indicated he is "on the case" -- I think we
> will see something before too long.

For the interested, the rt2800pci and rt2800usb code which I am working on can
be found in the experimental branch of my repository:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=shortlog;h=experimental
Because the code is incomplete it cannot be tested, but it gives at least an idea
on what is already done. ;)

Ivo

2008-08-29 10:36:20

by Rui Santos

Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, David Miller wrote:
>>> There was going to be the addition of the ath9k wireless driver but
>>> there was some fallout that is being worked on right now (linux/list.h
>>> changes needed lkml review, ath9k driver triggered some gcc aborts,
>>> all kinds of fun stuff :-) so hopefully it will make it in the next
>>> pass. I tried to wait an extra day for it to be resolved, but that
>>> was optimistic.
>> Talking about wireless driver updates - has anybody looked at the RaLink
>> wireless driver? It's in the newer EeePC's (901 and 1000), and it
>> actually has a driver from the company which the comments make clear is
>> GPLv2 too, no apparent oddness or anything:
>>
>> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0708_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.7.0.0.tar.bz2
>>
>> which admittedly apparently has some trivial problems (with a trivial
>> patch as seen at
>>
>> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195429
>>
>> I'd love to have that one working, since I have the hardware, and it's
>> actually reasonable (much more so than the original EeePC, in fact). What
>> channels should I go through? Is anybody working on integrating it
>> already?
>
> Like the earlier rt2x00 drivers I am rewriting the driver as released by Ralink and
> have put it in the rt2x00lib/mac80211 framework. Most of the code is currently done, and the
> last part should be done this week. After that it is a matter of testing and comparing
> register values with the Ralink driver for the last tweaks.

Hi Ivo,

I'm now a EeePc 901 owner. I'd also like to have wireless working on
this machine.
I'm available for any test you might want to undertake so, do not
hesitate to ask.

> I doubt the driver will be ready/stable for 2.6.28, but it should be ready for 2.6.29.
>
> Ivo

Rui Santos

2008-08-31 19:58:50

by Nick Kossifidis

2008/8/29 Rui Santos <[email protected]>:
> Ivo van Doorn wrote:
>>> Talking about wireless driver updates - has anybody looked at the RaLink
>>> wireless driver? It's in the newer EeePC's (901 and 1000), and it
>>> actually has a driver from the company which the comments make clear is
>>> GPLv2 too, no apparent oddness or anything:
>>>
>>> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0708_RT2860_Linux_STA_v1.7.0.0.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> which admittedly apparently has some trivial problems (with a trivial
>>> patch as seen at
>>>
>>> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195429
>>>
>>> I'd love to have that one working, since I have the hardware, and it's
>>> actually reasonable (much more so than the original EeePC, in fact). What
>>> channels should I go through? Is anybody working on integrating it
>>> already?
>>
>> Like the earlier rt2x00 drivers I am rewriting the driver as released by Ralink and
>> have put it in the rt2x00lib/mac80211 framework. Most of the code is currently done, and the
>> last part should be done this week. After that it is a matter of testing and comparing
>> register values with the Ralink driver for the last tweaks.
>
> Hi Ivo,
>
> I'm now a EeePc 901 owner. I'd also like to have wireless working on
> this machine.
> I'm available for any test you might want to undertake so, do not
> hesitate to ask.

EeePC is working, the patch series i submitted adds support for RF2425
chip which is included on EeePCs as far as i know (i have tested it on
an EeePC 900 surf, i think EeePC 901 has the same card) ;-)

We have some performance issues with ath5k but we are working on it
you can try and lock on b rates for better performance (we miss some
RF calibration stuff and CCK rates seem to perform better).

Happy wardriving ;-)

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)

2008-08-31 20:16:26

by Linus Torvalds

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Nick Kossifidis wrote:

> EeePC is working, the patch series i submitted adds support for RF2425
> chip which is included on EeePCs as far as i know (i have tested it on
> an EeePC 900 surf, i think EeePC 901 has the same card) ;-)

I think the EeePC 900 has a ath5k chip, and the 901/1000 has some totally
different RaLink chip afaik.

I think the design change came when moving from Celeron to Atom.

Linus