2009-12-16 14:43:18

by Robert P. J. Day

Subject: anyone including <linux/perf_counter.h>?

just prepping to run my cleanup suggestion scripts after the merge
window closes, quick test run on some scripts and ran across the fact
that no one appears to be including <linux/perf_counter.h>.

any value to that file? just curious. much more pedantry after the
merge window, of course.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

by Kyle McMartin

Subject: Re: anyone including <linux/perf_counter.h>?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:42:50AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> just prepping to run my cleanup suggestion scripts after the merge
> window closes, quick test run on some scripts and ran across the fact
> that no one appears to be including <linux/perf_counter.h>.
>
> any value to that file? just curious. much more pedantry after the
> merge window, of course.

See the comment at the top, it's being provided to provide the old names
to userspace for a short time, now that the functionality has been renamed
to perf_events.

--kyle

2009-12-16 14:57:22

by Robert P. J. Day

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:42:50AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > just prepping to run my cleanup suggestion scripts after the merge
> > window closes, quick test run on some scripts and ran across the fact
> > that no one appears to be including <linux/perf_counter.h>.
> >
> > any value to that file? just curious. much more pedantry after the
> > merge window, of course.
>
> See the comment at the top, it's being provided to provide the old
> names to userspace for a short time, now that the functionality has
> been renamed to perf_events.

but if it's supposed to be providing info to user-space, shouldn't
it be *exported* to user space? it's not listed in
include/linux/Kbuild. or am i misunderstanding?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:56:47AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > See the comment at the top, it's being provided to provide the old
> > names to userspace for a short time, now that the functionality has
> > been renamed to perf_events.
>
> but if it's supposed to be providing info to user-space, shouldn't
> it be *exported* to user space? it's not listed in
> include/linux/Kbuild. or am i misunderstanding?

No, you're quite correct, my guess would be that the original
perf_counter.h header-y line was renamed to perf_event.h, and someone
forgot to add a new one for the old header.

regards, Kyle

2009-12-16 15:02:12

by Robert P. J. Day

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:56:47AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > See the comment at the top, it's being provided to provide the
> > > old names to userspace for a short time, now that the
> > > functionality has been renamed to perf_events.
> >
> > but if it's supposed to be providing info to user-space,
> > shouldn't it be *exported* to user space? it's not listed in
> > include/linux/Kbuild. or am i misunderstanding?
>
> No, you're quite correct, my guess would be that the original
> perf_counter.h header-y line was renamed to perf_event.h, and
> someone forgot to add a new one for the old header.

so i can submit a patch to do one of two things:

1) add it into Kbuild, since user-space needs it, or

2) delete it entirely since it's never been in user-space all
this time but no one seems to have missed it. :-)

thoughts? i'm fine either way.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:01:39AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> 1) add it into Kbuild, since user-space needs it, or
>
> 2) delete it entirely since it's never been in user-space all
> this time but no one seems to have missed it. :-)

My guess is the latter, since it was never exported. I just noticed that
Chuck added it to Kbuild after the rename, so it has never been exported
at all with the previous interface.

2009-12-16 15:06:36

by Robert P. J. Day

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:01:39AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > 1) add it into Kbuild, since user-space needs it, or
> >
> > 2) delete it entirely since it's never been in user-space all
> > this time but no one seems to have missed it. :-)
> >

> My guess is the latter, since it was never exported. I just noticed
> that Chuck added it to Kbuild after the rename, so it has never been
> exported at all with the previous interface.

sounds fair. deletion patch coming soon.