2008-02-13 12:43:27

by Marc Perkel

Subject: Linux Compatible USB Adapter Recommendations? [OT]

I'm looking to buy a wireless USB adapter that I can
plug into a Fedora 8 box. The main feature I want it
to be able to stick it in and have it just work. No
custom kernel compiles. If it had 802.11n that would
be a plus.

So - what "just works" with Linux?

Thanks in advance.

Marc Perkel
Junk Email Filter dot com
http://www.junkemailfilter.com

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

by Parag Warudkar

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a wireless USB adapter that I can
> plug into a Fedora 8 box. The main feature I want it
> to be able to stick it in and have it just work. No
> custom kernel compiles. If it had 802.11n that would
> be a plus.
>
> So - what "just works" with Linux?

I use this Belkin one which has a RaLink chipset -
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211

It is not .11n but I never had any problems with Fedora 8 or Ubuntu 7.10 -
well apart from fiddling with module blacklists that is. (This card is
claimed by two drivers in the kernel and the one that gets loaded does not
work - so I have to blacklist it.) But apart from that it just works -
even with NetWorkManager.

Recently I was hunting for a .11n USB card that works with Linux without
the ndiswrapper crap but wasn't able to find one.

You want to make sure though that you get the Ralink chipset with the card
revision you buy - similarly named different version cards having totally
different chipsets is not considered weird in that world.

Parag