2023-04-26 13:49:26

by Stefan Wahren

Subject: Regression: w1_therm: sysfs w1_slave sometimes report 85 degrees Celsius

Hi,

recently we switch on our Tarragon board (i.MX6ULL) to Linux 6.1 and
noticed that the connected 1-wire temperature sensors
(w1_therm.w1_strong_pull=0) sometimes (~ 1 of 20 times) report 85
degrees Celsius, which is AFAIK the only way to report errors to the
1-wire master:

sys/bus/w1/devices/28-04168158faff# cat w1_slave
50 05 4b 46 7f ff 0c 10 1c : crc=1c YES
50 05 4b 46 7f ff 0c 10 1c t=85000

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue with the old kernel 4.9.

After that i successfully bisected the issue to this commit:
67b392f7b8ed ("w1_therm: optimizing temperature read timings")

Unfortunately this commit contains a lot of independent changes, which
makes it hard to figured out the cause of this issue. So i tried to
split this patch in seven independent changes [1]. Now i was able to
bisect the cause further to this change [2] which seems to rework the
pullup handling within read_therm().

Looking closer at the code change and verify it some debug messages, the
change inverted the locking behavior (before: no pullup -> keep lock,
after: no pullup -> release lock during sleep).

Before:
if (external_power) {
mutex_unlock(&dev_master->bus_mutex);

sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto dec_refcnt;
}

ret = mutex_lock_interruptible(&dev_master->bus_mutex);
if (ret != 0)
goto dec_refcnt;
} else if (!w1_strong_pullup) {
sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto mt_unlock;
}
}

After:
if (strong_pullup) { /*some device need pullup */
sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto mt_unlock;
}
} else { /*no device need pullup */
mutex_unlock(&dev_master->bus_mutex);

sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto dec_refcnt;
}

ret = mutex_lock_interruptible(&dev_master->bus_mutex);
if (ret != 0)
goto dec_refcnt;
}

I don't believe this is intended. After inverting the strong_pullup
check, the issue wasn't reproducible on our platform anymore. But i'm
not sure this is clean.

Best regards

#regzbot introduced: 67b392f7b8ed

[1] - https://github.com/chargebyte/linux/commits/v6.1-tarragon_w1
[2] -
https://github.com/chargebyte/linux/commit/17ca863a32a6a1bdd376959f05c954bef12fc1b5

2023-04-26 14:14:26

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 03:39:15PM +0200, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> [...]
>
> After:
> if (strong_pullup) { /*some device need pullup */
> sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
> if (sleep_rem != 0) {
> ret = -EINTR;
> goto mt_unlock;
> }
> } else { /*no device need pullup */
> mutex_unlock(&dev_master->bus_mutex);
>
> sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
> if (sleep_rem != 0) {
> ret = -EINTR;
> goto dec_refcnt;
> }
>
> ret = mutex_lock_interruptible(&dev_master->bus_mutex);
> if (ret != 0)
> goto dec_refcnt;
> }
>
> I don't believe this is intended. After inverting the strong_pullup check,
> the issue wasn't reproducible on our platform anymore. But i'm not sure this

Can you send a patch that shows the change you wish to have made here so
that you can get credit for fixing the issue?

thanks,

greg k-h

2023-04-27 12:06:20

by Stefan Wahren

> Can you send a patch that shows the change you wish to have made here so
> that you can get credit for fixing the issue?

Sure, just for reference:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/T/

On 26.04.23 15:39, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> recently we switch on our Tarragon board (i.MX6ULL) to Linux 6.1 and
> noticed that the connected 1-wire temperature sensors
> (w1_therm.w1_strong_pull=0) sometimes (~ 1 of 20 times) report 85
> degrees Celsius, which is AFAIK the only way to report errors to the
> 1-wire master:
> [...]
> #regzbot introduced: 67b392f7b8ed

#regzbot fix: w1_therm: optimizing temperature read timings
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.