2003-01-27 12:33:59

by Emmett Pate

Subject: Status of Modules?

What's the status of the module loading code? I've been compiling them into
the kernel since something around 2.5.3x when the code was rewritten. I'd
like to begin using a few modules again (especially some PCMCIA stuff). Is
there any documentation explaining what will be necessary for 2.5 to use
modules?

Thanks for the help,
Emmett Pate

2003-01-27 14:40:29

by Kevin Puetz

Subject: Re: Status of Modules?

Emmett Pate wrote:

> What's the status of the module loading code? I've been compiling them
> into
> the kernel since something around 2.5.3x when the code was rewritten. I'd
> like to begin using a few modules again (especially some PCMCIA stuff).
> Is there any documentation explaining what will be necessary for 2.5 to
> use modules?

You need rusty's module-init-tools (packaged in debian at least, probably
elsewhere). Once you have that, the basics at least (ie - everything I've
tried) work fine.

2003-01-27 20:36:02

by Mark Fasheh

Along with Rustys new module-init-tools (required to get started - I
downloaded mine from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/ ) I had to apply
this patch:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104284883805276&w=2 to make
modules on 2.5.59 load without hard locking my kernel. I believe there's
newer/better versions of this fix on the list -- you might want to check the
archives.
--Mark

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:43:15AM -0500, Emmett Pate wrote:
> What's the status of the module loading code? I've been compiling them into
> the kernel since something around 2.5.3x when the code was rewritten. I'd
> like to begin using a few modules again (especially some PCMCIA stuff). Is
> there any documentation explaining what will be necessary for 2.5 to use
> modules?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Emmett Pate
>
> -