2006-01-04 17:19:47

by J R

Subject: kernel programming donts

Is there a list of kernel / driver development "donts" documented in 1
place. I'm looking for examples of coding errors that would lead to
leaks, crashes or vulnerabilities - like using tainted data from
copy_from_user() in an unsafe way. Have these things been collected in 1
place?

The only thing I could find was the coding style document - but I'm looking
for more meaty problems than commenting style.

Thanks
-J

--
http://www.cqsat.com
jr at that domain

by Bob Copeland

Subject: Re: kernel programming donts

On 1/4/06, J R <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there a list of kernel / driver development "donts" documented in 1
> place. I'm looking for examples of coding errors that would lead to
> leaks, crashes or vulnerabilities - like using tainted data from
> copy_from_user() in an unsafe way. Have these things been collected in 1
> place?

There are some documents on kerneljanitors.org, for example:

http://kerneljanitors.org/drivers-dosdonts/index.html