2006-05-10 06:20:18

by Joshua Hudson

Subject: Not mounting NTFS rw, 2.6.16.1, but does so on 2.6.15

which means cannot re-run lilo on my laptop, so Not progressing beyond
2.6.15 until fixed.
Downloading 2.6.16.15 to try that version now.

16kstacks patch was applied (I use ndiswrapper with broadcom drivers loaded).

2006-05-10 08:57:59

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: Re: Not mounting NTFS rw, 2.6.16.1, but does so on 2.6.15

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> which means cannot re-run lilo on my laptop, so Not progressing beyond
> 2.6.15 until fixed.
> Downloading 2.6.16.15 to try that version now.
>
> 16kstacks patch was applied (I use ndiswrapper with broadcom drivers loaded).

What are the error messages? (Run dmesg to find out.)

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

2006-05-10 16:24:17

by Joshua Hudson

On 5/10/06, Anton Altaparmakov <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2006, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> > which means cannot re-run lilo on my laptop, so Not progressing beyond
> > 2.6.15 until fixed.
> > Downloading 2.6.16.15 to try that version now.
> >
> > 16kstacks patch was applied (I use ndiswrapper with broadcom drivers loaded).
>
> What are the error messages? (Run dmesg to find out.)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton

Verified on 2.6.16.15. 16kstacks applied. ndiswrapper not loaded.

Dmesg:

[snip]
EXT3 FS on hdc7, internal journal
NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS-fs warning (device hdc1): load_system_files(): Unsupported volume
flags 0x4000 encountered.
NTFS-fs error (device hdc1): load_system_files(): Volume has
unsupported flags set. Mounting read-only. Run chkdsk and mount in
Windows.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.5[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 7 (level,
low) -> IRQ 7
[snip]

Yes, I know. This machine: boot disk = /dev/hdc, cdrom = /dev/hda

2006-05-10 18:43:45

by Anton Altaparmakov

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> On 5/10/06, Anton Altaparmakov <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 May 2006, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> > > which means cannot re-run lilo on my laptop, so Not progressing beyond
> > > 2.6.15 until fixed.
> > > Downloading 2.6.16.15 to try that version now.
> > >
> > > 16kstacks patch was applied (I use ndiswrapper with broadcom drivers
> > loaded).
> >
> > What are the error messages? (Run dmesg to find out.)
>
> Verified on 2.6.16.15. 16kstacks applied. ndiswrapper not loaded.
>
> Dmesg:
>
> [snip]
> EXT3 FS on hdc7, internal journal
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> NTFS volume version 3.1.
> NTFS-fs warning (device hdc1): load_system_files(): Unsupported volume
> flags 0x4000 encountered.
> NTFS-fs error (device hdc1): load_system_files(): Volume has
> unsupported flags set. Mounting read-only. Run chkdsk and mount in
> Windows.

0x4000 is VOLUME_CHKDSK_UNDERWAY. It means your volume is in the middle
of having chkdsk run on it. Do as the driver says: run chkdsk on it and
mount in Windows and the error will go away and you will be able to mount
in Linux read/write...

Here is the minimum you have to do:

- Boot windows and log in.
- Open command prompt and type: chkdsk c: /f /v /x
- Windows will ask you if you want to schedule the chkdsk for next reboot.
Answer yes and reboot.
- Allow chkdsk to run to completion. Windows will reboot again.
- Boot windows again and log in.
- Open command prompt and type: dir c:\
- Reboot.
The below may be required in some circumstances but may well not be
necessary so you can try mounting in Linux r/w now and if it still does
not work then do this:
- Boot into windows _again_ and log in.
- Open command prompt and type: dir c:\
- Reboot.

You should now definitely have cleaned up the volume for Linux to be able
to mount r/w.

Should it still not work, please let me know but you would be the first
one for whom the above sequence would not have fixed it...

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

2006-05-10 20:03:52

by Anton Altaparmakov

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> That worked. Funny, windows didn't reboot after running chkdsk during
> boot. It just proceeded streight to the logon screen.

Cool. Yes, that means it did not change anything major. Probably the
only thing it did was to determine the volume was ok and the "chkdsk in
progress" flag got then cleared and made Linux NTFS happy.

The driver used to ignore this flag but it now checks it.

This flag being set can mean that there is some serious inconcistency on
disk (it can even mean that chkdsk crashed half-way through or the
user rebooted the machine during a chkdsk) which is why we check it now...