2006-10-23 18:53:10

by Panagiotis Issaris

Subject: PC speaker listed as input device

Hi,

While trying to get my Hauppauge's remote control working, I noticed that my
PC speaker is getting recognized as an input device. This seems very weird
to me, is there some logic behind this?

takis@aether:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0010 Vendor=001f Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="PC Speaker"
P: Phys=isa0061/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=40001
B: SND=6

I'm using the 2.6.17 kernel (it is an Ubuntu kernel though).

With friendly regards,
Takis

2006-10-23 21:22:05

by Adam Henley

Subject: Re: PC speaker listed as input device

On 23/10/06, Panagiotis Issaris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to get my Hauppauge's remote control working, I noticed that my
> PC speaker is getting recognized as an input device. This seems very weird
> to me, is there some logic behind this?

Simple, all speakers are microphones!
(http://www.google.com/search?q=%22a+speaker+as+a+microphone%22)

Though I don't know the real reason for recognising a speaker as an
input device, this could be a "logical" explanation :o)

regards,

adam
(should probably reply to lkml as well...)

2006-10-24 12:30:06

by Panagiotis Issaris

Hi,

Adam Henley <adamazing <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On 23/10/06, Panagiotis Issaris <panagiotis <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While trying to get my Hauppauge's remote control working, I noticed that my
> > PC speaker is getting recognized as an input device. This seems very weird
> > to me, is there some logic behind this?
>
> Simple, all speakers are microphones!
> (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22a+speaker+as+a+microphone%22)
>
> Though I don't know the real reason for recognising a speaker as an
> input device, this could be a "logical" explanation :o)
It would be if it would be recognised as /dev/dsp4 or something... but
/dev/input/event4 makes it look like a mouse or keyboard which still
seems very weird and illogical to me :)

With friendly regards,
Takis

2006-10-24 19:13:30

by Pavel Machek

On Mon 23-10-06 20:53:07, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to get my Hauppauge's remote control
> working, I noticed that my
> PC speaker is getting recognized as an input device.
> This seems very weird
> to me, is there some logic behind this?

Some keyboards have speakers build-in (sparc).

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.