2004-04-12 16:25:35

by Ian Stirling

Subject: Where did the USB generic scanner driver go? 2.6.5

I can't seem to find where this has moved.
Has it been obsoleted, or removed for some reason?
Many thanks.
Ian Stirling.

2004-04-12 17:35:30

by Wolfgang Fritz

Subject: Re: Where did the USB generic scanner driver go? 2.6.5

Ian Stirling wrote:
> I can't seem to find where this has moved.
> Has it been obsoleted, or removed for some reason?
> Many thanks.
> Ian Stirling.
> -

This driver has been removed from the 2.6 kernel. You have to use libusb
instead. I found the link below helpful:

http://khk.net/sane/libusb.html

Make sure you have a recent sane package installed.

Wolfgang

2004-04-12 21:44:14

by Ian Stirling

Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
> Ian Stirling wrote:
>
>>I can't seem to find where this has moved.
>>Has it been obsoleted, or removed for some reason?
>>Many thanks.
>>Ian Stirling.
>>-
>

> This driver has been removed from the 2.6 kernel. You have to use libusb
> instead. I found the link below helpful:
>
> http://khk.net/sane/libusb.html
>
> Make sure you have a recent sane package installed.

I've upgraded to the latest sane (the prereleases)

My scanner does not work, the backend manpage saying nothing about libusb,
suggesting it may not have been tested with it.

If the scanner module was deprecated, wouldn't some notice on the config
entry have been a good idea?

2004-04-12 22:04:22

by Greg KH

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:46:42PM +0100, Ian Stirling wrote:

> If the scanner module was deprecated, wouldn't some notice on the config
> entry have been a good idea?

It was posted here that it was going away a number of times, and if you
search the archives, a number of people have reported this same
question.

Anyway, the driver is gone, no use worrying about it now :)

thanks,

greg k-h