2023-06-16 13:54:52

by Manthey, Norbert

Subject: Linux kernel Coverity model file

Dear Kees,

some time ago you pointed me at the github copy of the Coverity model
that is used for the Linux kernel analysis [1].

I investigated the effect of using this model, and compared defects
reported with and without the model. Before I deep dive into
modifications, I wanted to understand whether there is a more recent
version (the current one is about 4 years old). I currently have no
access to the public linux dashboard to directly check the effect
there.

In case there is a more recent model file, can you please update the
github repository?

In case I find additions, is the following a good procedure to share
model updates? I would run an analysis on a defined Linux commit with
the current model and the proposed additions, and would report the
effect on the reported defects. Is there anything else I am missing?

Best,
Norbert

[1] https://github.com/kees/coverity-linux

Amazon Development Center Germany GmbH
Krausenstr. 38
10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Christian Schlaeger, Jonathan Weiss
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg unter HRB 149173 B
Sitz: Berlin
Ust-ID: DE 289 237 879

2023-06-21 19:20:24

by Kees Cook

Subject: Re: Linux kernel Coverity model file

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 01:44:01PM +0000, Manthey, Norbert wrote:
> some time ago you pointed me at the github copy of the Coverity model
> that is used for the Linux kernel analysis [1].

Hi!

> I investigated the effect of using this model, and compared defects
> reported with and without the model. Before I deep dive into
> modifications, I wanted to understand whether there is a more recent
> version (the current one is about 4 years old). I currently have no
> access to the public linux dashboard to directly check the effect
> there.
>
> In case there is a more recent model file, can you please update the
> github repository?

This model file is current -- we haven't changed it in quite some time.

> In case I find additions, is the following a good procedure to share
> model updates? I would run an analysis on a defined Linux commit with
> the current model and the proposed additions, and would report the
> effect on the reported defects. Is there anything else I am missing?

Yes please! Either send a patch to the [email protected]
mailing list or send a PR to the github repo.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook