2009-06-26 06:46:41

by Michael Kerrisk

Subject: MS_I_VERSION added in 2.6.25

Hi,

Linux 2.6.25 added the MS_I_VERSION flag for inode versioning. Some
text on this should be added to the mount(2) man page. Could someone
of you provide a short description of

* What inode versions are used for
* the MS_I_VERSION flag.

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git

2009-06-26 17:11:52

by Christoph Hellwig

Subject: Re: MS_I_VERSION added in 2.6.25

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:46:34AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Linux 2.6.25 added the MS_I_VERSION flag for inode versioning. Some
> text on this should be added to the mount(2) man page. Could someone
> of you provide a short description of
>
> * What inode versions are used for

I don't think it should be documented. It should never have been a
user-visible option to start with and I'm eventually going to fix that.

The correct way to do this would be a feature flag in the superblock.

2009-06-26 18:46:21

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 01:11:44PM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:46:34AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Linux 2.6.25 added the MS_I_VERSION flag for inode versioning. Some
> > text on this should be added to the mount(2) man page. Could someone
> > of you provide a short description of
> >
> > * What inode versions are used for
>
> I don't think it should be documented. It should never have been a
> user-visible option to start with and I'm eventually going to fix that.
>
> The correct way to do this would be a feature flag in the superblock.

Agreed, the intention was this was something which NFSv4 would request
of the filesystem, by flipping a bit. I don't see a good reason why a
user would ever want to explicit request 64-bit version numbers, since
they're not even visible to userspace.

- Ted