2005-01-12 16:21:06

by Alexander E. Patrakov

Subject: Truoble with 8-pixel screen fonts and 2.6 kernels (2.6.9, 2.6.10)

(This report is on behalf of Declan Moriarty)

To reproduce the problem, install the "kbd" package, and from the first
virtual console execute the following command:

setfont lat1-08 # or any other 8-pixel font

Then switch to the second console and see that the cursor disappeared.
Moreover, the following escape sequences function improperly:

echo -e '\033[?Xc' where X is a digit

Even more, from the second console this command

setfont lat1-16

gives 43 screen lines with only upper halves of characters (bottoms are cut,
and I suspect this also happens with the cursor).

Looks like a bug in the character cell height logic. Could you please fix it
or at least point me to some overview of the relevant source files?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov