2001-04-22 20:01:47

by Matthew Wilcox

Subject: Architecture-specific include files

Something which came up in one of the hallway discussions at the
kernelsummit was that a lot of the architecture maintainers would find
it more convenient if the arch-specific header files were moved from
include/asm-$ARCH to arch/$ARCH/include. Since we use a symlink _anyway_,
no global changes to include statements are necessary, we'd merely need
to change Makefile from

symlinks:
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-$(ARCH) asm)

symlinks:
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf ../arch/$(ARCH)/include asm)

Would anyone have a problem with this change? It'll make for a hell
of a big patch from Linus, but it really will simplify the lives of the
architecture maintainers.

by Jeff Dike

Subject: Re: Architecture-specific include files

[email protected] said:
> Would anyone have a problem with this change?

UML already has a arch/um/include for private headers that the rest of the
kernel is not allowed to see.

It would mean moving it, which is not a big deal.

Jeff

2001-04-26 01:52:23

by Jes Sorensen

Matthew> Something which came up in one of the hallway discussions at
Matthew> the kernelsummit was that a lot of the architecture
Matthew> maintainers would find it more convenient if the
Matthew> arch-specific header files were moved from include/asm-$ARCH
Matthew> to arch/$ARCH/include. Since we use a symlink _anyway_, no
Matthew> global changes to include statements are necessary, we'd
Matthew> merely need to change Makefile from

[snip]

Matthew> Would anyone have a problem with this change? It'll make for
Matthew> a hell of a big patch from Linus, but it really will simplify
Matthew> the lives of the architecture maintainers.

I don't see what it saves, except for the fact you just have to run
diff -urN once instead of twice when you want to send Linus a large
diff. Or am I missing something?

Jes

2001-04-29 11:36:29

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Matthew> Something which came up in one of the hallway discussions at
> Matthew> the kernelsummit was that a lot of the architecture
> Matthew> maintainers would find it more convenient if the
> Matthew> arch-specific header files were moved from include/asm-
> Matthew> to arch//include. Since we use a symlink _anyway_, no
> Matthew> global changes to include statements are necessary, we'd
> Matthew> merely need to change Makefile from
>
> [snip]
>
> Matthew> Would anyone have a problem with this change? It'll make for
> Matthew> a hell of a big patch from Linus, but it really will simplify
> Matthew> the lives of the architecture maintainers.
>
> I don't see what it saves, except for the fact you just have to run
> diff -urN once instead of twice when you want to send Linus a large
> diff. Or am I missing something?

Saving one diff urN is nice, plus you can distribute your architecture
as tar file more easily, plus it is easier to put just your arch in cvs.

I like it.
Pavel