2005-05-27 07:08:41

by tom

Subject: question about /dev/console and /dev/tty

Hi everyone,

Which device is /dev/console pointing to ? or is it a virtual device ?
Actually why this node is made?

Why kernel default not providing a control terminal on /dev/console but
on other device ?

It is not surprising that we can use CTRL-C to terminate some process on
i386 linux on the Desktop machine, is that mean the shell on our
desktop is not using /dev/console ? so where are the shell running on?

Hope anyone can do me a favour.

Regards,
TOM

2005-05-27 10:29:40

by Miquel van Smoorenburg

Subject: Re: question about /dev/console and /dev/tty

In article <[email protected]>,
Tomko <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Which device is /dev/console pointing to ? or is it a virtual device ?
>Actually why this node is made?

See linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt

>Why kernel default not providing a control terminal on /dev/console but
>on other device ?

Because some daemons open /dev/console to send last resort error
messages to, and you do not want them to unexpectedly gain a
controlling tty.

>It is not surprising that we can use CTRL-C to terminate some process on
>i386 linux on the Desktop machine, is that mean the shell on our
>desktop is not using /dev/console ? so where are the shell running on?

/dev/tty1, /dev/tty2 etc

Mike.

2005-05-30 04:01:13

by tom

Hi,
Thank you very much for the reply, but i would like to ask some more.

1. it seems we can choose which device we want for console output by
typing this on kernel command line:
console = device , options
if i type "console = ttyS1 " is that means kernel will internally link
/dev/console to /dev/ttyS1 , and when i do any operation to /dev/console
, it is the same as i do to /dev/ttyS1 ?

2 . what means foreground virtual console as tty0 is representing ?

Regards,
TOM