2003-01-11 15:09:26

by Bob Tracy

Subject: 2.5.55+: soundcore: Unknown symbol errno

I'm getting the subject error message with ALSA for both 2.5.55 and
2.5.56. The culprit appears to be the very last patch in the 2.5.55
patch set, which deletes "static int errno;" from
linux/sound/sound_firmware.c. The undefined reference to errno is
from the include of <linux/unistd.h>.

Bob Tracy WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org

by Raja R Harinath

Subject: Re: 2.5.55+: soundcore: Unknown symbol errno

Hi,

[email protected] (Bob_Tracy(0000)) writes:

> I'm getting the subject error message with ALSA for both 2.5.55 and
> 2.5.56. The culprit appears to be the very last patch in the 2.5.55
> patch set, which deletes "static int errno;" from
> linux/sound/sound_firmware.c. The undefined reference to errno is
> from the include of <linux/unistd.h>.

Try compiling soundcore in-kernel (everything else can be modular).

The "problem" appears to be that 'errno' in lib/errno.c is not
EXPORT_SYMBOLed. The "static int errno;" in sound_firmware.c was most
definitely a bug, especially since it conflicts with the "extern int
errno;" in linux/unistd.h.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ [email protected]