2008-11-22 21:47:18

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: Question regarding SAS controllers.

Do any SAS controllers exist that are not RAID?

Or to put it another way, if one wants to use SAS disks for example and
NOT export them as JBOD or use them as RAID, is there a normal controller?

Back in the days of regular SCSI you had SCSI controllers and SCSI raid
controllers, when searching for SAS controllers now, all that comes up is
hundreds of SAS-Raid controllers.

Justin.

2008-11-22 21:59:40

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: RE: Question regarding SAS controllers.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Moore, Eric wrote:

> On Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:47 PM, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>
>> Do any SAS controllers exist that are not RAID?
>>
>> Or to put it another way, if one wants to use SAS disks for
>> example and
>> NOT export them as JBOD or use them as RAID, is there a
>> normal controller?
>>
>> Back in the days of regular SCSI you had SCSI controllers and
>> SCSI raid
>> controllers, when searching for SAS controllers now, all that
>> comes up is
>> hundreds of SAS-Raid controllers.
>>

> mptsas
>
> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/index.html
>
> Eric Moore

Eric,

Thanks, I had checked this out earlier but the only non-raid SAS HBAs
(those HBAs that do not end in -R) that are JBOD seem to be external only
(e.g., do not contain any internal SAS ports?)

Justin.

2008-11-22 22:12:04

by Moore, Eric

On Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:47 PM, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> Do any SAS controllers exist that are not RAID?
>
> Or to put it another way, if one wants to use SAS disks for
> example and
> NOT export them as JBOD or use them as RAID, is there a
> normal controller?
>
> Back in the days of regular SCSI you had SCSI controllers and
> SCSI raid
> controllers, when searching for SAS controllers now, all that
> comes up is
> hundreds of SAS-Raid controllers.

mptsas

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/index.html

Eric Moore

2008-11-22 22:21:45

by Dr. David Alan Gilbert

* Justin Piszcz ([email protected]) wrote:

<snip>

> Eric,
>
> Thanks, I had checked this out earlier but the only non-raid SAS HBAs
> (those HBAs that do not end in -R) that are JBOD seem to be external only
> (e.g., do not contain any internal SAS ports?)
>
> Justin.

For some of the SAS cards that LSI produce there are 2 sets of firmware
on their site and you can load the non-RAID firmware; both versions
will let you drive stuff as individual drives (e.g. tape drives or
inidivudal discs) but the non-RAID firmware is a LOT faster for that.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /
\ _________________________|_____ http://www.treblig.org |_______/

2008-11-22 22:28:21

by Justin Piszcz

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:

> * Justin Piszcz ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Eric,
>>
>> Thanks, I had checked this out earlier but the only non-raid SAS HBAs
>> (those HBAs that do not end in -R) that are JBOD seem to be external only
>> (e.g., do not contain any internal SAS ports?)
>>
>> Justin.
>
> For some of the SAS cards that LSI produce there are 2 sets of firmware
> on their site and you can load the non-RAID firmware; both versions
> will let you drive stuff as individual drives (e.g. tape drives or
> inidivudal discs) but the non-RAID firmware is a LOT faster for that.

Four and eight port LSI cards:
http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3041er/index.html
http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3081er/index.html

Firmware and BIOS for both Integrated RAID and Initiator-Target. Must
boot to DOS to run utility. Batch file simplifies installation.

Welcome to LSI Logic Integrated SAS Flash Utility
This Utility will upgrade your LSI SAS3442E HBA

Integrated RAID ( IR ) or Initiator ( IT ) Firmware

For IR Type R or r
For IT Type T or t
To Exit Type q

So one just needs to flash the card and use the initiator firmware and
then it will act like a regular (SAS) HBA, no RAID in the card itself, and
then one, presumably could use the card for md/software raid and have
direct access to the disks, no need for exporting disks via JBOD etc?

Justin.

2008-11-22 22:37:34

by Moore, Eric

> Firmware and BIOS for both Integrated RAID and Initiator-Target. Must
> boot to DOS to run utility. Batch file simplifies installation.
>
> Welcome to LSI Logic Integrated SAS Flash Utility
> This Utility will upgrade your LSI SAS3442E HBA

Justin - We have linux tools for flashing firmware and bios.

2008-11-22 22:38:28

by Justin Piszcz

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Moore, Eric wrote:

>> Firmware and BIOS for both Integrated RAID and Initiator-Target. Must
>> boot to DOS to run utility. Batch file simplifies installation.
>>
>> Welcome to LSI Logic Integrated SAS Flash Utility
>> This Utility will upgrade your LSI SAS3442E HBA
>>

> Justin - We have linux tools for flashing firmware and bios.

Eric, one final question:
http://www.lsi.jp/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3041er/index.html
This obviously has 4 SAS/SATA ports (regular cables) and looks like it
would be great in Linux/SW raid for SAS/SATA disks.

This (8 port version):
http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3081er/index.html
Has two SFF-8087 mini-SAS connectors.

It states "two (4) x1 SATA cables"

Does this mean:

8087 ------------> 8087 (with 4 lanes)

Thus it would require the purchase of an additional breakout cable or
attachment to a special SATA/SAS enclosure.

or:

8087 ------------> regular sas/sata/1
regular sas/sata/2
regular sas/sata/3
regular sas/sata/4

Justin.

2008-11-22 22:43:56

by Justin Piszcz

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Moore, Eric wrote:
>
>>> Firmware and BIOS for both Integrated RAID and Initiator-Target. Must
>>> boot to DOS to run utility. Batch file simplifies installation.
>>>
>>> Welcome to LSI Logic Integrated SAS Flash Utility
>>> This Utility will upgrade your LSI SAS3442E HBA
>>>

>> Justin - We have linux tools for flashing firmware and bios.
>>

> Eric, one final question:
> http://www.lsi.jp/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3041er/index.html
> This obviously has 4 SAS/SATA ports (regular cables) and looks like it would
> be great in Linux/SW raid for SAS/SATA disks.
>
> This (8 port version):
> http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3081er/index.html
> Has two SFF-8087 mini-SAS connectors.
>
> It states "two (4) x1 SATA cables"
>
> Does this mean:
>
> 8087 ------------> 8087 (with 4 lanes)
>
> Thus it would require the purchase of an additional breakout cable or
> attachment to a special SATA/SAS enclosure.
>
> or:
>
> 8087 ------------> regular sas/sata/1
> regular sas/sata/2
> regular sas/sata/3