2007-05-02 17:37:22

by Ioan Ionita

Subject: More JMicron troubles with 2.6.21

Hello,

I have an Asus Commando Mobo with one of those dreadful JMicron
controllers (JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02). I have a
PATA ATAPI CD-RW attached to the JMicron. I'm running 2.6.21 vanilla
with no modules, everything built-in

I can't get my CD-RW to work. have tried the pata_jmicron driver and
the JMicron ide driver, no success.

With the pata_jmicron, there are timeouts and resets in the dmesg, as
can be seen below:

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:03:00.1 to 64
ata9: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x0001bc00 ctl 0x0001b882 bmdma 0x0001b400 irq 17
ata10: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x0001b800 ctl 0x0001b482 bmdma 0x0001b408 irq 17
scsi8 : pata_jmicron
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x0001bc07
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x0001bc07
ata9.01: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata9.01: configured for UDMA/33
scsi9 : pata_jmicron
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x0001b807
ata9.01: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata9.01: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/b0 tag 0 cdb 0x12 data 36 in
res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ata9: soft resetting port

Excerpts from lspci:
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron
20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81e4

03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363
AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81e4

Some relevant .config options:
CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=y

Other relevant info: I use the libata ahci driver to run my sata ports
and that works great.

Attached:
-dmesg
-lspci -vvv
-config

(No filename) (1.71 kB)
dmesg (24.41 kB)
lspci (21.20 kB)
newconfig (38.30 kB)

by Alan

Subject: Re: More JMicron troubles with 2.6.21

> I have an Asus Commando Mobo with one of those dreadful JMicron
> controllers (JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02). I have a

The Jmicron controllers get a lot of testing so should run smoothly.

> I can't get my CD-RW to work. have tried the pata_jmicron driver and
> the JMicron ide driver, no success.

This is almost certainly a problem outside of the IDE handling in that
case. The jmicron controllers are smart, there is basically no code to
the IDE driver to go wrong (especially in the case of using the old IDE
for the PATA port where you basically use zero code that hasn't been
tested for years).

Do you get the odd timeout or continuous timeouts ?

2007-05-02 19:29:56

by Ioan Ionita

On 5/2/07, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is almost certainly a problem outside of the IDE handling in that
> case. The jmicron controllers are smart, there is basically no code to
> the IDE driver to go wrong (especially in the case of using the old IDE
> for the PATA port where you basically use zero code that hasn't been
> tested for years).
Could this be a hardware problem then? The CD-ROM is recognized by
BIOS and I'm able to boot bootable CDs fine.
Could it be a setting in BIOS? I did try to switch from Enhanced to
Compatible mode, but problem persists.
With the ide driver, the device is recognized, but when I attempt to
mount it, il times out, gets reset and my machine locks up at times.

> Do you get the odd timeout or continuous timeouts ?
With the pata_jmicron, the device is not recognized. I get the
timeouts only during the probing during the boot phase.

2007-05-02 21:50:04

by Mark Lord

Alan Cox wrote:
>> I have an Asus Commando Mobo with one of those dreadful JMicron
>> controllers (JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02). I have a
>
> The Jmicron controllers get a lot of testing so should run smoothly.
>
>> I can't get my CD-RW to work. have tried the pata_jmicron driver and
>> the JMicron ide driver, no success.
>
> This is almost certainly a problem outside of the IDE handling in that
> case. The jmicron controllers are smart, there is basically no code to
> the IDE driver to go wrong (especially in the case of using the old IDE
> for the PATA port where you basically use zero code that hasn't been
> tested for years).

The old IDE driver for JMicron didn't work well for me either,
running on Kubuntu Edgy 2.6.17. It would find the PATA DVD drive,
and work okay for the first half of a DVD movie playback, and then go bonkers.

I eventually gave up on it and installed a pure SATA DVD drive on ICH7(8?)
and just disabled the JMicron completely.

Kernel upgrades are not currenly a viable option for this box
(too many other things would need to be fiddled with).

Cheers

2007-05-02 22:55:08

by Alan

> The old IDE driver for JMicron didn't work well for me either,
> running on Kubuntu Edgy 2.6.17. It would find the PATA DVD drive,
> and work okay for the first half of a DVD movie playback, and then go bonkers.

"go bonkers" being ? (and did you keep any dumps of it ?)

> I eventually gave up on it and installed a pure SATA DVD drive on ICH7(8?)
> and just disabled the JMicron completely.

Alan