2006-03-10 08:44:09

by Joshua Kwan

Subject: Problems ejecting 4th-generation iPod with 2.6.15

Hi,

When I plug my iPod in via USB, and later eject it, I more often than
not get this:

usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
sd 14:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
usb 5-5: USB disconnect, address 20

What's going on here?

A list of other problems that I've seen can be found on Carsten Otto's
site about his own iPod experiences, http://home.c-otto.de/ipod/...

On that page a link to a SuSE ML is linked to, blaming the choice of IO
scheduler, and recommends that people use cfq. I think this is bullshit,
but I am running anticipatory. Should I try cfq?

Joshua Kwan

2006-03-10 16:17:23

by Greg KH

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:43:19AM -0800, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I plug my iPod in via USB, and later eject it, I more often than
> not get this:
>
> usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
> usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
> usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
> usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
> usb 5-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
> sd 14:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
> usb 5-5: USB disconnect, address 20
>
> What's going on here?

Can you try 2.6.16-rc5 and let us know if that works better for you
here?

thanks,

greg k-h