2006-05-28 15:07:12

by Martin Bligh

Subject: rc5-git1 and later fail to boot on x86_64

plain -rc5 seems fine. Double checking this isn't a machine issue, but
it seems to boot the older kernels just fine.

good boot is here: http://test.kernel.org/abat/33283/debug/console.log
for comparison

----------------------------

http://test.kernel.org/abat/33427/debug/console.log

Starting system log daemon: syslogd syslogd: network logging disabled
(syslog/udp service unknown).
syslogd: see syslogd(8) for details of whether and how to enable it.:
Operation not permitted

2006-05-28 15:13:48

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: rc5-git1 and later fail to boot on x86_64

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 08:06:58AM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> plain -rc5 seems fine. Double checking this isn't a machine issue, but
> it seems to boot the older kernels just fine.
>
> good boot is here: http://test.kernel.org/abat/33283/debug/console.log
> for comparison

If rc5 vs rc5-git1 shows a difference in behaviour for you, something
is seriously wrong somewhere, as git1 only contained a single arch/s390 patch.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

2006-05-28 16:27:04

by Jason Lunz

[email protected] said:
> plain -rc5 seems fine. Double checking this isn't a machine issue, but
> it seems to boot the older kernels just fine.

-rc5-git3 boots on my amd64.

Jason

2006-05-28 17:39:13

by Martin Bligh

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 08:06:58AM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> > plain -rc5 seems fine. Double checking this isn't a machine issue, but
> > it seems to boot the older kernels just fine.
> >
> > good boot is here: http://test.kernel.org/abat/33283/debug/console.log
> > for comparison
>
> If rc5 vs rc5-git1 shows a difference in behaviour for you, something
> is seriously wrong somewhere, as git1 only contained a single arch/s390 patch.

Humpf. must be a machine change then. No idea why it still boots fine to
the older kernels though ... ;-(

Thanks,

M.

2006-05-30 11:18:09

by Andy Whitcroft

Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> plain -rc5 seems fine. Double checking this isn't a machine issue, but
> it seems to boot the older kernels just fine.
>
> good boot is here: http://test.kernel.org/abat/33283/debug/console.log
> for comparison

This seems to be a machine install issue. It appears that the image on
/dev/sda1 thinks its on /dev/sdb1 which it is not which is now relevant
to the automation tools. How this happened is lost in the mists of time
sadly.

I have fixed up the install and the reruns I have done seem ok.

-apw