2007-11-28 10:17:44

by Matt

Subject: CFS scheduler, -v24, for v2.6.24-rc3-git3 / current git state

Hi Ingo & the other contributors of CFS,

I just wanted to say thank you for your excellent job on this scheduler :)

I didn't want to tell anything about v24 too fast since testing takes
its time ;)

so here my experience so far:

- no sound stuttering anymore during internet sound streaming even
during heavy compiling (maybe there's still stuttering but I can't
hear it *g*)
- desktop feels really responsive
- even firefox with around 30 tabs and fully used memory (4 GB) &
fully used swap (2.5 GB) stil feels quite responsive & great to work
with (probably it's also thanks to ck-patchset I'm using besides cfs
-> zen-sources)
- haven't tested 3d FPS so can't tell

keep up the great work !

Greetings

Mat

2007-11-28 11:24:59

by Ingo Molnar

* Matthew <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Ingo & the other contributors of CFS,
>
> I just wanted to say thank you for your excellent job on this scheduler :)
>
> I didn't want to tell anything about v24 too fast since testing takes
> its time ;)
>
> so here my experience so far:
>
> - no sound stuttering anymore during internet sound streaming even
> during heavy compiling (maybe there's still stuttering but I can't
> hear it *g*)
> - desktop feels really responsive

cool. Which scheduler are you comparing this to - v2.6.23-ish? Or
CFS-v22?

> - even firefox with around 30 tabs and fully used memory (4 GB) &
> fully used swap (2.5 GB) stil feels quite responsive & great to work
> with (probably it's also thanks to ck-patchset I'm using besides cfs
> -> zen-sources)

which patches does "ck-patchset" carry at the moment? One would be
swap-prefetch i guess, right?

> - haven't tested 3d FPS so can't tell
>
> keep up the great work !

thanks :)

Ingo

2007-11-28 11:45:16

by Matt

> cool. Which scheduler are you comparing this to - v2.6.23-ish? Or
> CFS-v22?

compared to v22 & that of 2.6.23
cfs of v2.6.23 was quite "nice" with some great stuttering - dunno why
the best besides current was v19.1 or v19.2 (sound stuttering was a
little stronger I think but desktop "feeling" was definitely better
than v22 and that of 2.6.23) if I recall right 2.6.21 + cfs backport
/ cfs patch

> which patches does "ck-patchset" carry at the moment? One would be
> swap-prefetch i guess, right?

the swap prefetch patch at least I think, I need to ask waninkoko,
he's maintaining the zen-sources git-repository

> thanks :)

Your welcome, linux needs improvement wherever it can get - until it's
the "best" OS out there :)

Mat