2007-11-02 17:10:07

by Chuck Ebbert

Subject: Re: patch remove-broken-ptrace-special-case-code-from-file-mapping.patch queued to -stable tree

On 11/02/2007 12:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:48:34AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, [email protected] wrote:
>>> This is a note to let you know that we have just queued up the patch titled
>>>
>>> Subject: Remove broken ptrace() special-case code from file mapping
>> Hmm. I think my patch is good, but Nick's patch is probably safer for a
>> stable release.
>>
>> Mine cleans things up, and removes a rather nasty special case entirely.
>> But in the process, it changes user-visible behaviour (for the better, I
>> think, but still).
>>
>> Now, probably nobody cares about the behaviour change, but Nicks patch
>> fixes the old broken special case instead of removing it.
>>
>> Now, it might be perfectly fine to just queue this one on the assumption
>> that nobody will really care, and doing a cleanup is better. But I wanted
>> to point out the (small) danger.
>
> I don't see Nick's patch in your tree, and I'd like to keep in sync
> wherever possible :)
>
> Unless Nick really objects, and then I'll drop yours and use his, but I
> don't think that Duane verified that his patch fixed the issue.

I put Nick's in Fedora, so it had better work... ;)

2007-11-02 17:52:37

by Duane Griffin

On 02/11/2007, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 11/02/2007 12:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> > Unless Nick really objects, and then I'll drop yours and use his, but I
> > don't think that Duane verified that his patch fixed the issue.
> >

> I put Nick's in Fedora, so it had better work... ;)

I've tested both patches, and they both fix the problem. So no
worries, either way :)

As Linus said, his patch does change the behaviour. I'm not qualified
to judge how risky that is, however I think that the change is an
improvement. In fact in my original bug report I suggested the old
behaviour could be considered buggy and the new behaviour might be
preferable.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan

2007-11-02 18:37:31

by Greg KH

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 05:52:25PM +0000, Duane Griffin wrote:
> On 02/11/2007, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 11/02/2007 12:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Unless Nick really objects, and then I'll drop yours and use his, but I
> > > don't think that Duane verified that his patch fixed the issue.
> > >

> > I put Nick's in Fedora, so it had better work... ;)
>
> I've tested both patches, and they both fix the problem. So no
> worries, either way :)
>
> As Linus said, his patch does change the behaviour. I'm not qualified
> to judge how risky that is, however I think that the change is an
> improvement. In fact in my original bug report I suggested the old
> behaviour could be considered buggy and the new behaviour might be
> preferable.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'll stick with Linus's patch for now,
unless someone really complains :)

thanks,

greg k-h