2005-12-14 07:27:07

by kernel coder

Subject: ENDEC port and MII interface

hi,
I'm trying to write ethernet driver.I need some explaination on
ENDEC port and MII interface.By googling i've come to know that MII is
used for phy communication by modern ethernet cards,but i haven't
found much info on ENDEC ports.

Actually mine card has option to select ENDEC port or MII interface
for transmit and recieve.

Please tell me which one should i choose and why.

lhrkernelcode

2005-12-17 02:55:40

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: ENDEC port and MII interface

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:27:05 -0800 kernel coder wrote:

> hi,
> I'm trying to write ethernet driver.I need some explaination on
> ENDEC port and MII interface.By googling i've come to know that MII is
> used for phy communication by modern ethernet cards,but i haven't
> found much info on ENDEC ports.
>
> Actually mine card has option to select ENDEC port or MII interface
> for transmit and recieve.
>
> Please tell me which one should i choose and why.

A little googling tells me that ENDECs are probably limited to
10 Mbps ethernet. E.g., one ethernet controller spec says:

Flexible IEEE 802.3 MII (10/100Mbps) and ENDEC
(10Mbps) Interfaces Allow Selection of PHY

ENDECs just convert from 8bit data to 10bit data on Transmit
(8b/10b) and from 10bit data to 8bit data on Receive.
Is ENDEC vs. MII selection a software config on your adapter
or a hardware config?

---
~Randy