2007-08-22 21:03:10

by Manuel Reimer

Subject: TV card detected wrongly by the kernel. Any chance to get this fixed?

Hello,

I have a BT878 based TV card (was sold by a german discounter some years
ago).

Unfortunately this card gets detected wrongly and so I'm unable to watch
tv, if I allow the kernel to auto-detect the card.

If I unload the module and reload it using the right "card=" value, then
anything works well. So one of the first steps, I do if I install a new
version of my distribution, is to place the "unload module and reload
with the right value" code to my "rc.local" file.

Is there any chance to get this card added to the kernel, so the right
value gets auto-loaded?

Thanks in advance

Yours

Manuel Reimer

2007-08-22 21:53:01

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 11:08:00PM +0200, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a BT878 based TV card (was sold by a german discounter some years
> ago).
>
> Unfortunately this card gets detected wrongly and so I'm unable to watch
> tv, if I allow the kernel to auto-detect the card.
>
> If I unload the module and reload it using the right "card=" value, then
> anything works well. So one of the first steps, I do if I install a new
> version of my distribution, is to place the "unload module and reload with
> the right value" code to my "rc.local" file.
>
> Is there any chance to get this card added to the kernel, so the right
> value gets auto-loaded?

It might be possible, but the driver maintainer (Cc'ed) should know best.

What is the "card=" value you use?
What is the line for yor card in the "lspci -nn" output?

> Thanks in advance
>
> Yours
>
> Manuel Reimer

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2007-08-22 22:56:17

by Mauro Carvalho Chehab

Manuel,

> > I have a BT878 based TV card (was sold by a german discounter some years
> > ago).
> >
> > Unfortunately this card gets detected wrongly and so I'm unable to watch
> > tv, if I allow the kernel to auto-detect the card.
> >
> > If I unload the module and reload it using the right "card=" value,
> then
> > anything works well. So one of the first steps, I do if I install a
> new
> > version of my distribution, is to place the "unload module and
> reload with
> > the right value" code to my "rc.local" file.
> >
> > Is there any chance to get this card added to the kernel, so the
> right
> > value gets auto-loaded?
>
> It might be possible, but the driver maintainer (Cc'ed) should know
> best.

Most cheap bt8xx boards don't have eeprom or other means for properly
detecting the board internals. For such boards, you need to specify
card=<nr>, otherwise the driver will use a generic "default" that may
not work.

The proper way for handling this is by adding at /etc/modprobe.conf
(or /etc/modules, depending on your distro) a line like:

options bttv card=<nr>

This way, every time the module will load, the modprobe tools will use
the proper options.

If your board have an unique PCI ID, we may add it to the driver,
avoiding this need. For this, we will need the results of the following
command:

lspci -vv -nn

Cheers,
Mauro

2007-08-23 15:18:13

by Manuel Reimer

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> If your board have an unique PCI ID, we may add it to the driver,
> avoiding this need. For this, we will need the results of the following
> command:
>
> lspci -vv -nn

I'm using card=65 to use my card. I never tried the tuner (don't need
it) but the composite-in works for displaying the input of my sattelite
receiver and I'm able to read videotext, too. Without "card=65", I only
got black/white output...

Here are the values of the lspci -vv -nn command. I reduced the output
to the two entries, belonging to the card.

00:10.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
Video Capture [109e:036e] (rev 11)
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

00:10.1 Multimedia controller [0480]: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
Capture [109e:0878] (rev 11)
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Thanks in advance for your answer.

CU

Manuel

2007-08-24 15:38:00

by Mauro Carvalho Chehab

Em Qui, 2007-08-23 às 17:23 +0200, Manuel Reimer escreveu:
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > If your board have an unique PCI ID, we may add it to the driver,
> > avoiding this need. For this, we will need the results of the following
> > command:
> >
> > lspci -vv -nn
>
> I'm using card=65 to use my card. I never tried the tuner (don't need
> it) but the composite-in works for displaying the input of my sattelite
> receiver and I'm able to read videotext, too. Without "card=65", I only
> got black/white output...

> 00:10.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
> Video Capture [109e:036e] (rev 11)

I can't see and subsystem ID. Since it is not on the few range of boards
where we know other ways for detecting the board internals, there's no
known way for auto-detecting your board.

The solution for you is to add:
options bttv card=65
into /etc/modprobe.conf (or /etc/modules.conf, or /etc/modules -
depending on your distro).

This way, every time the driver is loaded, the card=65 option will
automatically be used by the bttv driver.

Mauro