2000-11-11 08:30:35

by Mark Hindley

Subject: opl3 under 2.4.0-test10

I am trying to setup my ALS 110 soundcard under my build of kernel
2.4.0-test10.

I have built in isapnp support and also the sb and opl3 drivers.

The sb driver works fine other than complaining about a missing 16 bit
DMA (which I understand is missing from the card anyway). I can play
and record wav with no problems. I am still missing MIDI.

However, even though I pass opl3=0x388 on the Kernel command line all
I get is an isapnp panic.

Am I doing something silly or is there a bug? Is it a sound driver or
isapnp or kernel problem?

While trying to locate the problem I could not get any response from
/dev/sndstat.

% cat /dev/sndstat
cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

Is it not supported in 2.4.0? I can't find the same info in the /proc filesystem.

The full dmesg extract that seems relevant is

Linux version 2.4.0-test10 (root@HindleyHome) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #26 Fri Nov 3 18:08:00 GMT 2000

YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft 1993-1996
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: PnP Sound Chip detected
sb: ALS110 isapnp panic: opl3 device not found
sb: ISAPnP reports 'PnP Sound Chip' at i/o 0x220, irq 5, dma 3, 1
SB16: Bad or missing 16 bit DMA channel
<Sound Blaster 16 (ALS-100) (4.02)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 3,1
sb: 1 Soundblaster PnP card(s) found.

Thanks for the help

Mark

2000-11-11 20:32:41

by Stephen Thomas

Subject: Re: opl3 under 2.4.0-test10

Mark Hindley wrote:
> I am trying to setup my ALS 110 soundcard under my build of kernel
> 2.4.0-test10.
>
> I have built in isapnp support and also the sb and opl3 drivers.
>
> However, even though I pass opl3=0x388 on the Kernel command line all
> I get is an isapnp panic.

I'm experiencing what superficially appears to be a related problem
with an AWE64 card. I'm building the drivers non-modular (because
I've yet to find any description of how to configure modular sound
drivers for 2.4.0). I believe I'm making the appropriate configuration
settings - from my .config:

CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
CONFIG_SOUND_TRACEINIT=y
CONFIG_SOUND_DMAP=y
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=y
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=y
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y
CONFIG_SOUND_AWE32_SYNTH=y
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=y

and I'm passing "opl3=0x388" to the driver. However, if I query
what synth devices the driver supports, it only reports an
AWE32-0.4.4 (RAM512k) sample device. I expect it report an FM synth
device, too. I get the same (lack of) effect if I go via the
adlib_card code, by saying "adlib=0x388". My investigations so
far have shown that when opl3_detect() first tries to get the
signature of the OPL3 device, it gets 0xff from the inb() (line
195 of drivers/sound/opl3.c in test11pre1), while the corresponding
code in 2.2.18pre19 gets 0x00.

Stephen Thomas

2000-11-11 21:55:58

by Thomas Molina

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Stephen Thomas wrote:

> Mark Hindley wrote:
> > I am trying to setup my ALS 110 soundcard under my build of kernel
> > 2.4.0-test10.
> >
> > I have built in isapnp support and also the sb and opl3 drivers.
> >
> > However, even though I pass opl3=0x388 on the Kernel command line all
> > I get is an isapnp panic.
>
> CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=y
>
> and I'm passing "opl3=0x388" to the driver. However, if I query
> what synth devices the driver supports, it only reports an
> AWE32-0.4.4 (RAM512k) sample device. I expect it report an FM synth
> device, too. I get the same (lack of) effect if I go via the
> adlib_card code, by saying "adlib=0x388". My investigations so
> far have shown that when opl3_detect() first tries to get the
> signature of the OPL3 device, it gets 0xff from the inb() (line
> 195 of drivers/sound/opl3.c in test11pre1), while the corresponding
> code in 2.2.18pre19 gets 0x00.

Can you try resetting CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812 to m rather than y. I had a
similar problem and that is the workaround I came up with. I haven't
gone back and tried to see why it happened; maybe I need to.

2000-11-13 11:52:15

by Mark Hindley

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Stephen Thomas wrote:
>
>> Mark Hindley wrote:
>> > I am trying to setup my ALS 110 soundcard under my build of kernel
>> > 2.4.0-test10.
>> >
>> > I have built in isapnp support and also the sb and opl3 drivers.
>> >
>> > However, even though I pass opl3=0x388 on the Kernel command line all
>> > I get is an isapnp panic.
>>
>> CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=y
>>
>> and I'm passing "opl3=0x388" to the driver. However, if I query
>> what synth devices the driver supports, it only reports an
>> AWE32-0.4.4 (RAM512k) sample device. I expect it report an FM synth
>> device, too. I get the same (lack of) effect if I go via the
>> adlib_card code, by saying "adlib=0x388". My investigations so
>> far have shown that when opl3_detect() first tries to get the
>> signature of the OPL3 device, it gets 0xff from the inb() (line
>> 195 of drivers/sound/opl3.c in test11pre1), while the corresponding
>> code in 2.2.18pre19 gets 0x00.
>
>Can you try resetting CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812 to m rather than y. I had a
>similar problem and that is the workaround I came up with. I haven't
>gone back and tried to see why it happened; maybe I need to.

How does this relate to ALS 110? I have tried building the relevant drivers
both as modules and built-in to the kernel. It seems to make no difference.

Mark Hindley

Director of the Music Centre
University of St Andrews

01334 462226/7