2006-08-29 07:00:10

by Jon Escombe

Subject: Lenovo T60 - unable to resume from disk with CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G

Using a Lenovo T60 laptop - suspend to disk has always failed for me on resume.

The resume image is read from disk, and then the laptop immediately reboots.
This behavior has been verified up to 2.6.18-rc4, and can be replicated with a
minimal init=/bin/bash boot. printk's scattered through the resume code are
getting into the "for (zone_pfn = 0; zone_pfn < zone->spanned_pages;
++zone_pfn)" loop in snapshot.c / copy_data_pages() before the reboot.

Through trial and error, I've found that this problem only occurs with
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G (the default in a Fedora installation). On a couple of
occasions I've seen a hang or an oops instead of a reboot. Apologies for the
poor quality, but an image of the oops screen can be found at
http://www.dresco.co.uk/debug/resume_from_disk.jpg

Any pointers to progressing this further would be welcome...

Regards,
Jon.

(Please CC me on replies as I'm not currently subscribed to the list).

2006-08-29 12:27:55

by Jeff Chua

On 8/29/06, Jon Escombe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Using a Lenovo T60 laptop - suspend to disk has always failed for me on resume.
>
> Through trial and error, I've found that this problem only occurs with
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G (the default in a Fedora installation). On a couple of
> occasions I've seen a hang or an oops instead of a reboot. Apologies for the
> poor quality, but an image of the oops screen can be found at
> http://www.dresco.co.uk/debug/resume_from_disk.jpg

I had the same problem on my IBM x60s. In my case, I see no oops. Just
reboot right after resume with CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y. Turning off
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G, problem goes away. Don't know how to fix. Just to
confirm your findings. 2.6.18-rc5 has the same problem.

Thanks,
Jeff.