2006-03-20 15:32:04

by Alan

Subject: Libata PATA for 2.6.16

Can be found at the usual location

http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/IDE

Some further small changes and updates, in particular the use of
platform device class for VLB/ISA/legacy IDE ports and the removal of
the "no device" special cases from the core.

Alan

2006-03-20 18:45:35

by matthieu castet

Subject: Re: Libata PATA for 2.6.16

Hi Alan,

Le Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:38:15 +0000, Alan Cox a ?crit?:

> Can be found at the usual location
>
> http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/IDE
>
> Some further small changes and updates, in particular the use of
> platform device class for VLB/ISA/legacy IDE ports and the removal of
> the "no device" special cases from the core.

I still got the same problems on via :
- hardisk used at UDMA33 instead of UDMA100 (buggy cable select ??? for
the primary CS value was 0xf1f1e6e6 and for the secondary 0x2727e6e6)
- a cdrw drive lost interrupt when setting xfermode and make failed a
port initialisation (if I comment the disable code, everythings seems to
work)

Matthieu

2006-03-23 19:03:28

by Chris Boot

Hi Alan,

Alan Cox wrote:
> Can be found at the usual location
>
> http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/IDE
>
> Some further small changes and updates, in particular the use of
> platform device class for VLB/ISA/legacy IDE ports and the removal of
> the "no device" special cases from the core.
>
> Alan

If you're still looking for success reports, I just burned a DVD on
2.6.16-ide1 just fine. At the final stages of burning I got a few
messages about the burner not being ready but it kept trying and
eventually succeeded writing the lead-out. DVD works fine.

Still not tried the pesky tape drive, those tapes I ordered weeks ago
are still on back order! It is detected properly and claimed by 'st'
through.

HTH,
Chris

--
Chris Boot
[email protected]

2006-03-26 09:53:53

by Harald Dunkel

Subject: Schedule for adding pata to kernel?

Hi Alan,

Works for me, too. Is there a plan to add this to the source tree?

0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 04)
0000:00:1f.2 0101: 8086:2651 (rev 04)

Many thanx

Harri
Chris Boot wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> Can be found at the usual location
>>
>> http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/IDE
>>
>> Some further small changes and updates, in particular the use of
>> platform device class for VLB/ISA/legacy IDE ports and the removal of
>> the "no device" special cases from the core.
>>
>> Alan
>

> If you're still looking for success reports, I just burned a DVD on
> 2.6.16-ide1 just fine. At the final stages of burning I got a few
> messages about the burner not being ready but it kept trying and
> eventually succeeded writing the lead-out. DVD works fine.
>
> Still not tried the pesky tape drive, those tapes I ordered weeks ago
> are still on back order! It is detected properly and claimed by 'st'
> through.
>
> HTH,
> Chris

Attachments:
signature.asc (258.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2006-03-26 17:18:48

by Alan

Subject: Re: Schedule for adding pata to kernel?

On Sul, 2006-03-26 at 11:53 +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Works for me, too. Is there a plan to add this to the source tree?

Yes

There are several chunks of work needed. Firstly was to resync with the
libata development tree which is now done. The second to push changes to
the core code neccessary to support the PATA drivers. This is about
2/3rd done (Tejun Ho has been doing lots of work on mode changes which
also meant chunks of it were not needed).

Of the other bits that need merging some need resubmits/tidying and
oddments noted/requested by Jeff fixing. At that point it should be
possible just to drop in drivers during 2.6.17 development.

The final hard bit will be the PIIX/ICH driver as this is a major update
to a critical driver used by very many SATA people rather than a new
driver, so has the highest risk of breaking stuff.

Alan

2006-03-27 06:16:05

by James Cloos

Alan> The final hard bit will be the PIIX/ICH driver as this is a major update
Alan> to a critical driver used by very many SATA people rather than a new
Alan> driver, so has the highest risk of breaking stuff.

Incidently, on that front, what is the magic to make it work?

I've not yet tried with 2.6.16 final, but I didn't have any luck with
earlier versions.

I have a:

,----[lspci]
| 00:1f.1 0101: 8086:244a (rev 03)
| 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BAM IDE U100 (rev 03)
`----

but never managed to determine the CONFIG that used ata_piix rather
than the old ide drivers. Each attempt left me with a kernel which
could not mount its root....

-JimC

2006-03-29 14:32:51

by Robert Hancock

James Cloos wrote:
> Incidently, on that front, what is the magic to make it work?
>
> I've not yet tried with 2.6.16 final, but I didn't have any luck with
> earlier versions.
>
> I have a:
>
> ,----[lspci]
> | 00:1f.1 0101: 8086:244a (rev 03)
> | 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BAM IDE U100 (rev 03)
> `----
>
> but never managed to determine the CONFIG that used ata_piix rather
> than the old ide drivers. Each attempt left me with a kernel which
> could not mount its root....

What distribution? If you're building ata_piix and the other drivers
(scsi, sd, etc.) as modules you'll have to play with your initrd to get
it to load the correct modules on startup. If you build them into the
kernel, it should just work..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]

by Jeff Garzik

Robert Hancock wrote:
> James Cloos wrote:
>> Incidently, on that front, what is the magic to make it work?
>>
>> I've not yet tried with 2.6.16 final, but I didn't have any luck with
>> earlier versions.
>>
>> I have a:
>>
>> ,----[lspci]
>> | 00:1f.1 0101: 8086:244a (rev 03)
>> | 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BAM IDE U100 (rev 03)
>> `----
>>
>> but never managed to determine the CONFIG that used ata_piix rather
>> than the old ide drivers. Each attempt left me with a kernel which
>> could not mount its root....
>
> What distribution? If you're building ata_piix and the other drivers
> (scsi, sd, etc.) as modules you'll have to play with your initrd to get
> it to load the correct modules on startup. If you build them into the
> kernel, it should just work..

Normally you add the requisite drivers to /etc/modprobe.conf, and
mkinitrd should select the correct modules from there.

Jeff

2006-03-29 22:33:08

by James Cloos

JimC> but [I] never managed to determine the CONFIG that used ata_piix rather
JimC> than the old ide drivers. Each attempt left me with a kernel which
JimC> could not mount its root....

Robert> If you build them into the kernel, it should just work..

Agreed. It should.

But if I leave in CONFIG_IDE=y, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y I get root on
0x0302 rather than 0x0802 even when I also have CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
and CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y.

If the first two are not set then the kernel cannot find anything.

My understanding is that with Alan's patch everything should be
using major 8, and that CONFIG_IDE is no longer required, yes?

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <[email protected]>

2006-03-29 23:34:39

by Robert Hancock

James Cloos wrote:

> JimC> but [I] never managed to determine the CONFIG that used ata_piix rather
> JimC> than the old ide drivers. Each attempt left me with a kernel which
> JimC> could not mount its root....
>
> Robert> If you build them into the kernel, it should just work..
>
> Agreed. It should.
>
> But if I leave in CONFIG_IDE=y, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y I get root on
> 0x0302 rather than 0x0802 even when I also have CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
> and CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y.
>
> If the first two are not set then the kernel cannot find anything.
>
> My understanding is that with Alan's patch everything should be
> using major 8, and that CONFIG_IDE is no longer required, yes?

You should be able to set CONFIG_IDE=n and have it work. That PCI ID is
listed in the ata_piix device table so I should think it would work..
can you post the output?

2006-03-30 11:12:13

by Alan

On Mer, 2006-03-29 at 17:30 -0500, James Cloos wrote:
> My understanding is that with Alan's patch everything should be
> using major 8, and that CONFIG_IDE is no longer required, yes?

This is correct both if you are just using the existing SATA drivers or
if you are using the libata patch to drive older chips via libata.

You can mix and match but don't compile in two drivers for the same chip

Alan

2006-03-31 05:37:17

by James Cloos

I did try it again with 2.6.16.

And now it does work.

Even seems faster than 2.6.16 w/o Alan's patch. :>

But that is probably just the short uptime.

(The laptop has always slowed down after being up for a few days....)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <[email protected]>