2002-06-22 23:59:24

by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Subject: Problems with Maxtor 4G160J8 and 2.4.19-* +/- ac*

I've got an ASUS A7A266-E motherboard and a 160GB Maxtor hard drive.
The only kernel I've managed to work with this combination is 2.4.18
with Hedrick's IDE patches.

I've tried quite a few of the 2.4.19-pre patches, with or without
various -ac patches, including pre10 + ac2, and they all basically
display one of two behaviors: The machine either hangs just before
detecting the disk, or when doing the partition check for the disk.

Below is the relevant section from dmesg from 2.4.18.

Anybody got any ideas? What can I do to help debug this?

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 20
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:04.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
ALI15X3: chipset revision 196
ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd400-0xd407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd408-0xd40f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA
hda: FUJITSU MPG3307AT, ATA DISK drive
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
hdd: Maxtor 4G160J8, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 60046560 sectors (30744 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=3737/255/63
hdd: 320173056 sectors (163929 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=19929/255/63
Partition check:
hda: hda1 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12 hda13 >
hdd: hdd1

[email protected] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

2002-06-23 14:39:07

by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Subject: ALI15X3 (was: Problems with Maxtor 4G160J8 and 2.4.19-* +/- ac*)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email protected]> writes:

> I've tried quite a few of the 2.4.19-pre patches, with or without
> various -ac patches, including pre10 + ac2, and they all basically
> display one of two behaviors: The machine either hangs just before
> detecting the disk, or when doing the partition check for the disk.

[...]

> ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 20
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:04.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
> ALI15X3: chipset revision 196
> ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd400-0xd407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd408-0xd40f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA

After poking around a bit, it seems like the real problem might be
with the ALI15X3 driver. I disabled that driver, and now I can boot
using 2.4.19-pre10-ac2. Of course, that leaves me with no DMA...

So -- is this a general problem with this driver, or does it only
show up when using disks bigger than 128GiB?

[email protected] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

2002-06-23 16:57:43

by Fabio Massimo Di Nitto

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 20
>>PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:04.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
>>ALI15X3: chipset revision 196
>>ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd400-0xd407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd408-0xd40f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA
>>

>After poking around a bit, it seems like the real problem might be
>with the ALI15X3 driver. I disabled that driver, and now I can boot
>using 2.4.19-pre10-ac2. Of course, that leaves me with no DMA...
>
>So -- is this a general problem with this driver, or does it only
>show up when using disks bigger than 128GiB?

hi Lars,
now that you noticed this problem I did the same at home.
I get a different problem in general (see [FREEZE] 24.19-pre10 + Promise)
but I did like you suggested disabling the ALI driver and now everything
is working just fine but no DMA.

Fabio

2002-06-24 15:19:13

by Daniel Jacobowitz

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 04:38:44PM +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I've tried quite a few of the 2.4.19-pre patches, with or without
> > various -ac patches, including pre10 + ac2, and they all basically
> > display one of two behaviors: The machine either hangs just before
> > detecting the disk, or when doing the partition check for the disk.
>
> [...]
>
> > ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 20
> > PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:04.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
> > ALI15X3: chipset revision 196
> > ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> > ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd400-0xd407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> > ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd408-0xd40f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA
>
> After poking around a bit, it seems like the real problem might be
> with the ALI15X3 driver. I disabled that driver, and now I can boot
> using 2.4.19-pre10-ac2. Of course, that leaves me with no DMA...
>
> So -- is this a general problem with this driver, or does it only
> show up when using disks bigger than 128GiB?

I've had a lot of problems with ALI15x3; the patch that let me boot
(found somewhere on the net, do not remember the original author)
commented out the pci_read_config_byte and two pci_write_config_byte
calls right below the comment that says "set south-bridge's enable
bit". Recent -ac kernels have this in two places. DMA still works
after doing that; does this work for you?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz Carnegie Mellon University
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer

2002-06-26 16:55:22

by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Daniel Jacobowitz <[email protected]> writes:

> I've had a lot of problems with ALI15x3; the patch that let me boot
> (found somewhere on the net, do not remember the original author)
> commented out the pci_read_config_byte and two pci_write_config_byte
> calls right below the comment that says "set south-bridge's enable
> bit". Recent -ac kernels have this in two places. DMA still works
> after doing that; does this work for you?

I tried commenting out various pci_writes/pci_reads, but I'm not
familiar enough with the code to say whether what I did was
meaningful or not.

In any case, it still didn't let me boot the machine with the 160GB
disk installed.

I've now bought a Highpoint Rocket133SB card and plugged the 160GB
disk into that instead, and everything works fine. I get DMA to my
main disk via the ALI15X3 controller, and DMA to the 160GB disk via
the Rocket card.

[email protected] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen