2010-02-06 22:44:11

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Linux 2.6.33-rc7

I have to admit that I wish we had way fewer regressions listed by this
time, so I hereby would like to point every developer to

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/46197

to just remind them to look for regressions that look familiar. Taking a
few minutes to look at that list and go "Hmm, maybe I know about that one"
is a good idea.

But we've certainly fixed a few things, and it's been a week, so here's
-rc7. I wish I could say that it's the last -rc, but I strongly doubt
that, and we'll almost certainly have at least one more.

The bulk of the diffs are some powerpc defconfig additions, but if you
ignore those, you'll notice i915 and (even more so) radeon KMS updates
standing out. The rest is mostly random stuff spread all over, much of it
one- or few-liners. kgdb fixes, fixed percpu vmap gc, futex fixes, btrfs
and nfs fixes etc.

And various driver fixes and updates, of course.

Linus

---
Ajit Khaparde (1):
be2net: Bug fix to support newer generation of BE ASIC

Alberto Panizzo (1):
mx3fb: some debug and initialisation fixes

Alexander Clouter (1):
MIPS: AR7: Fix USB slave mem range typo

Alexander Duyck (1):
igbvf: fix issue w/ mapped_as_page being left set after unmap

Amerigo Wang (1):
perf: Ignore perf.data.old

Andi Kleen (1):
oprofile/x86: add Xeon 7500 series support

Andreas Schwab (1):
powerpc: TIF_ABI_PENDING bit removal

Andrei Emeltchenko (2):
Bluetooth: Remove double free of SKB pointer in L2CAP
Bluetooth: Fix memory leak in L2CAP

Andres Salomon (1):
CS5536: apply pci quirk for BIOS SMBUS bug

Andrew Morton (1):
drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_combios.c: fix warning

Aneesh Kumar K.V (1):
Btrfs: apply updated fallocate i_size fix

Anton Blanchard (1):
fault injection: correct function names in documentation

Anuj Aggarwal (2):
ASoC: AIC23: Fixing writes to non-existing registers in resume function
ASoC: AM3517: ASoC driver not getting compiled

Austin Yuan (1):
drm/ttm: remove unnecessary save_flags and ttm_flag_masked in ttm_bo_util.c

Baruch Siach (4):
mx25: remove unused mx25_clocks_init() argument
mx25: properly initialize clocks
mx25: fix time accounting
mx25: make the FEC AHB clk secondary of the IPG

Bastien Nocera (1):
Bluetooth: Use the control channel for raw HID reports

Ben Hutchings (2):
starfire: clean up properly if firmware loading fails
cdc_ether: Partially revert "usbnet: Set link down initially ..."

Benjamin Herrenschmidt (4):
powerpc/pci: Add calls to set_pcie_port_type() and set_pcie_hotplug_bridge()
powerpc/pci: Add missing hookup to pci_slot
powerpc/pci: Add missing call to header fixup
powerpc/pseries: Fix xics build without CONFIG_SMP

Benjamin Marzinski (1):
GFS2: Don't withdraw on partial rindex entries

Catalin Marinas (3):
ARM: 5904/1: ARM: Always generate the IT instruction when compiling for Thumb-2
ARM: 5909/1: ARM: Correct the FPSCR bits setting when raising exceptions
[libata] Call flush_dcache_page after PIO data transfers in libata-sff.c

Choi, David (1):
drivers/net: ks8851_mll ethernet network driver

Chris Wilson (2):
drm/i915: Prevent use of uninitialized pointers along error path.
drm/i915: Fix leak of relocs along do_execbuffer error path

Christoph Hellwig (1):
libata: fix ata_id_logical_per_physical_sectors

Chuck Ebbert (1):
block: fix bugs in bio-integrity mempool usage

Colin Tuckley (1):
ARM: 5907/1: ARM: Fix the reset on the RealView PBX Development board

Dan Carpenter (1):
drbd: null dereference bug

Dave Airlie (9):
drm/radeon/kms: fix incorrect logic in DP vs eDP connector checking.
drm/radeon/kms: use active device to pick connector for encoder
drm/kms/radeon: pick digitial encoders smarter. (v3)
drm/radeon/kms: release agp on error.
drm/radeon/kms: move radeon KMS on/off switch out of staging.
drm/radeon/kms: disable HDMI audio for now on rv710/rv730
drm/radeon/kms: make initial state of load detect property correct.
drm/radeon/kms: rs400/480 MC setup is different than r300.
drm/radeon/kms: fix r300 vram width calculations

David Howells (1):
NFS: Avoid warnings when CONFIG_NFS_V4=n

David Härdeman (1):
x86: Add quirk for Intel DG45FC board to avoid low memory corruption

David John (1):
drm/i915: Disable SR when more than one pipe is enabled

David S. Miller (1):
be2net: Fix memset() arg ordering.

Dimitri Sivanich (1):
x86, UV: Fix RTC latency bug by reading replicated cachelines

Dmitry Monakhov (1):
block: fix bio_add_page for non trivial merge_bvec_fn case

Douglas Gilbert (1):
libata-scsi passthru: fix bug which truncated LBA48 return values

Evgeniy Polyakov (1):
connector: Delete buggy notification code.

FUJITA Tomonori (1):
x86/agp: Fix agp_amd64_init regression

Felix Fietkau (2):
ath9k: fix beacon slot/buffer leak
ath9k: fix eeprom INI values override for 2GHz-only cards

Francisco Jerez (1):
drm/ttm: Avoid conflicting reserve_memtype during ttm_tt_set_page_caching.

Frans Pop (1):
sched: Correct printk whitespace in warning from cpu down task check

Frederic Weisbecker (1):
reiserfs: Fix vmalloc call under reiserfs lock

Grazvydas Ignotas (1):
ASoC: pandora: Add APLL supply to fix audio output

Guenter Roeck (1):
MIPS: 64-bit: Detect virtual memory size

Gui Jianfeng (1):
blk-cgroup: Fix potential deadlock in blk-cgroup

H Hartley Sweeten (1):
NFS: Make nfs_commitdata_release static

Hans Verkuil (1):
V4L/DVB: saa7134: remove stray unlock_kernel

Herbert Xu (2):
crypto: padlock-sha - Add import/export support
random: Remove unused inode variable

Hui Zhu (1):
markup_oops.pl: fix $func_offset error with x86_64

Jakob Bornecrantz (2):
drm/vmwgfx: Correctly detect 3D
drm/vmwgfx: Don't send bad flags to the host

Jaroslav Kysela (2):
ALSA: ctxfi - fix PTP address initialization
ALSA: ice1724 - aureon - fix wm8770 volume offset

Jason Wessel (3):
x86, hw_breakpoints, kgdb: Fix kgdb to use hw_breakpoint API
perf, hw_breakpoint, kgdb: Do not take mutex for kernel debugger
softlockup: Add sched_clock_tick() to avoid kernel warning on kgdb resume

Jean Delvare (2):
hwmon: (lm78) Request I/O ports individually for probing
hwmon: (w83781d) Request I/O ports individually for probing

Jeff Mahoney (1):
hugetlb: fix section mismatches

Jerome Glisse (4):
drm/radeon/kms: Bailout of blit if error happen & protect with mutex V3
drm/radeon/kms: move blit initialization after we disabled VGA
drm/radeon/kms: fix regression rendering issue on R6XX/R7XX
drm/radeon/kms: don't call suspend path before cleaning up GPU

Jesse Barnes (2):
drm/i915: handle non-flip pending case when unpinning the scanout buffer
drm/i915: page flip support for Ironlake

Joerg Roedel (4):
x86/amd-iommu: Fix possible integer overflow
x86/amd-iommu: Fix NULL pointer dereference in __detach_device()
x86/amd-iommu: Fix IOMMU-API initialization for iommu=pt
x86/amd-iommu: Fix deassignment of a device from the pt_domain

Johannes Berg (1):
iwlwifi: fix pointer signedness warning

John Fastabend (2):
ixgbe: set the correct DCB bit for pg tx settings
ixgbe: if ixgbe_copy_dcb_cfg is going to fail learn about it early

John Kacur (2):
drm/kms/radeon/agp: Fix warning, format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘size_t’
drm/kms/radeon/agp: Move the check of the aper_size after drm_acp_acquire and drm_agp_info

Josef Bacik (1):
Btrfs: do not try and lookup the file extent when finishing ordered io

Josh Boyer (2):
powerpc/44x: Update PowerPC 44x board defconfigs
powerpc/40x: Update the PowerPC 40x board defconfigs

Julia Lawall (1):
kernel/cred.c: use kmem_cache_free

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki (1):
devmem: check vmalloc address on kmem read/write

Kevin Hilman (2):
OMAP2/3: IRQ: ensure valid base address
OMAP2/3: GPMC: ensure valid clock pointer

Lars Ellenberg (1):
drbd: fix max_segment_size initialization

Leann Ogasawara (1):
x86: Add Dell OptiPlex 760 reboot quirk

Li Peng (3):
drm/i915: enable vblank interrupt on ironlake
drm/i915: Fix the device info of Pineview
drm/i915: don't trigger ironlake vblank interrupt at irq install

Li Zefan (1):
cgroups: fix to return errno in a failure path

Linus Torvalds (3):
Fix 'flush_old_exec()/setup_new_exec()' split
Fix potential crash with sys_move_pages
Linux 2.6.33-rc7

Magnus Damm (1):
usb: r8a66597-hdc disable interrupts fix

Mahesh Salgaonkar (1):
hw_breakpoints: Release the bp slot if arch_validate_hwbkpt_settings() fails.

Manuel Lauss (1):
MIPS: Alchemy: Fix dbdma ring destruction memory debugcheck.

Marcin Kościelnicki (1):
drm/kms: Remove incorrect comment in struct drm_mode_modeinfo

Marek Skuczynski (3):
sh: Fix access to released memory in dwarf_unwinder_cleanup()
sh: Fix access to released memory in clk_debugfs_register_one()
omap: Fix access to already released memory in clk_debugfs_register_one()

Mark Brown (5):
mx31ads: Allow enable/disable of switchable supplies
mx31ads: Provide a name for EXPIO interrupt chip
mx31ads: Provide an IRQ range to the WM835x on the 1133-EV1 module
MXC: Add AUDMUXv2 register decode to debugfs
regulator: Specify REGULATOR_CHANGE_STATUS for WM835x LED constraints

Markus Pietrek (1):
spi: spi_sh_msiof: Fixed data sampling on the correct edge

Matt Mackall (1):
random: drop weird m_time/a_time manipulation

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
saa7146: stop DMA before de-allocating DMA scatter/gather page buffers

Maxim Levitsky (2):
ALSA: hda - Delay switching to polling mode if an interrupt was missing
ALSA: cosmetic: make hda intel interrupt name consistent with others

Miao Xie (1):
Btrfs: remove BUG_ON() due to mounting bad filesystem

Michal Simek (1):
microblaze: Defconfig update

Michel Dänzer (1):
drm/radeon/kms: Fix oops after radeon_cs_parser_init() failure.

Mikael Pettersson (1):
futex_lock_pi() key refcnt fix

Mike Frysinger (2):
tracing/documentation: Cover new frame pointer semantics
Bluetooth: Redo checks in IRQ handler for shared IRQ support

Nick Piggin (2):
mm: percpu-vmap fix RCU list walking
mm: purge fragmented percpu vmap blocks

OGAWA Hirofumi (1):
GFS2: Fix refcnt leak on gfs2_follow_link() error path

Oleg Nesterov (1):
lockdep: Fix check_usage_backwards() error message

Patrick McHardy (2):
netfilter: nf_conntrack_sip: fix off-by-one in compact header parsing
netfilter: ctnetlink: fix expectation mask dump

Pauli Nieminen (1):
drm/r100/kms: Emit cache flush to the end of command buffer. (v2)

Peter Hanzel (1):
drm/vmwgfx: Request SVGA version 2 and bail if not found

Peter Zijlstra (2):
sched: Fix fork vs hotplug vs cpuset namespaces
sched: Fix incorrect sanity check

Randy Dunlap (2):
kfifo: fix kernel-doc notation
ati_pcigart: fix printk format warning

Ray Copeland (1):
hwmon: (adt7462) Wrong ADT7462_VOLT_COUNT

Richard Kennedy (2):
drm/ttm: remove padding from ttm_ref_object on 64bit builds
get_maintainer.pl: teach git log to use --no-color

Richard Röjfors (1):
uartlite: fix crash when using as console

Roel Kluin (1):
Btrfs: make error return negative in btrfs_sync_file()

Russell King (1):
ARM: Fix wrong register in proc-arm6_7.S data abort handler

Ryusuke Konishi (1):
nilfs2: fix potential leak of dirty data on umount

Sascha Hauer (2):
i.MX25: Allow secondary clocks in DEFINE_CLOCK
i.MX25: implement secondary clocks for uarts and fec

Sathya Perla (1):
be2net: use eq-id to calculate cev-isr reg offset

Sergey Matyukevich (1):
rtc-fm3130: add missing braces

Shan Wei (1):
ipv6: conntrack: Add member of user to nf_ct_frag6_queue structure

Shaohui Zheng (1):
memory hotplug: fix a bug on /dev/mem for 64-bit kernels

Sriram (1):
ARCH OMAP : enable ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL for OMAP

Stef van Os (1):
powerpc/4xx: Add pcix type 1 transactions

Stephen Rothwell (1):
percpu: add __percpu for sparse

Steven J. Magnani (1):
microblaze: fix interrupt state restore

Steven Rostedt (3):
tracing: Prevent kernel oops with corrupted buffer
ring-buffer: Check if ring buffer iterator has stale data
ring-buffer: Check for end of page in iterator

Steven Whitehouse (4):
GFS2: Fix previous patch
GFS2: Use GFP_NOFS for alloc structure
GFS2: Wait for unlock completion on umount
GFS2: Extend umount wait coverage to full glock lifetime

Suravee Suthikulpanit (1):
oprofile/x86: fix crash when profiling more than 28 events

Takashi Iwai (1):
ALSA: hda - Add an ASUS mobo to MSI blacklist

Tejun Heo (3):
idr: fix a critical misallocation bug
ahci: add Acer G725 to broken suspend list
idr: revert misallocation bug fix

Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo (1):
pktcdvd: removing device does not remove its sysfs dir

Thiago Farina (1):
lib/dma-debug.c: mark file-local struct symbol static.

Thomas Gleixner (3):
clocksource: Prevent potential kgdb dead lock
futex: Handle user space corruption gracefully
futex: Handle futex value corruption gracefully

Thomas Meyer (1):
drm/i915: slow acpi_lid_open() causes flickering - V2

Tony Lindgren (4):
omap: Remove old unused defines for OMAP_32KSYNCT_BASE
omap: Fix 3630 mux errors
omap: Fix arch/arm/mach-omap2/mux.c: Off by one error
omap: Disable serial port autoidle by default

Trond Myklebust (9):
NFS: Fix a reference leak in nfs_wb_cancel_page()
NFS: Try to commit unstable writes in nfs_release_page()
NFSv4: Ensure that the NFSv4 locking can recover from stateid errors
NFSv4: Don't allow posix locking against servers that don't support it
NFSv4.1: Don't call nfs4_schedule_state_recovery() unnecessarily
NFS: Ensure that we handle NFS4ERR_STALE_STATEID correctly
NFS: Fix an Oops when truncating a file
NFS: Fix a umount race
NFS: Don't clobber the attribute type in nfs_update_inode()

Uwe Kleine-König (3):
mx35: add a missing comma in a pad definition
omap: define _toggle_gpio_edge_triggering only for OMAP1
imxfb: correct location of callbacks in suspend and resume

Vikram Kandukuri (1):
Bluetooth: Add DFU driver for Atheros Bluetooth chipset AR3011

Vivek Goyal (1):
cfq-iosched: Do not idle on async queues

Vladimir Zapolskiy (1):
ARM: MX3: Fixed typo in declared enum type name.

Wu Fengguang (1):
devmem: fix kmem write bug on memory holes

Yan, Zheng (2):
Btrfs: fix race between allocate and release extent buffer.
Btrfs: Fix oopsen when dropping empty tree.

Yang Hongyang (1):
tracing/documentation: Fix a typo in ftrace.txt

Yong Wang (1):
perf report: Fix segmentation fault when running with '-g none'

Zhao Yakui (2):
drm/i915: Add support for SDVO composite TV
drm/i915: Fix the incorrect DMI string for Samsung SX20S laptop

Zhenyu Wang (1):
drm/i915: disable hotplug detect before Ironlake CRT detect

Zhu Yi (1):
mac80211: fix NULL pointer dereference when ftrace is enabled

anfei zhou (1):
mm: flush dcache before writing into page to avoid alias

stephen hemminger (1):
bonding: bond_open error return value

2010-02-06 22:49:52

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.33-rc7

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But we've certainly fixed a few things, and it's been a week, so here's
> -rc7. I wish I could say that it's the last -rc, but I strongly doubt
> that, and we'll almost certainly have at least one more.

Oh, and I forgot to ask one thing I had intended to ask in the release
notes..

Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files?
I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip,
because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also
re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people
are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.

Of course, if you really care about bandwidth, you're better off just
fetching the git trees instead, but the question for non-git users is:

Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?

Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
requires the traditional .gz format..

Linus

2010-02-06 23:01:01

by John Kacur

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>> But we've certainly fixed a few things, and it's been a week, so here's
>> -rc7. I wish I could say that it's the last -rc, but I strongly doubt
>> that, and we'll almost certainly have at least one more.
>
> Oh, and I forgot to ask one thing I had intended to ask in the release
> notes..
>
> Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files?
> I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip,
> because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also
> re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people
> are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.
>
> Of course, if you really care about bandwidth, you're better off just
> fetching the git trees instead, but the question for non-git users is:
>
> ? Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?
>
> Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
> requires the traditional .gz format..
>
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Linus

I mostly just use git these days, but when I do fetch something, it's
always .bz2, I haven't fetched tar.gz in quite some time. Don't know
if the embedded folks need tar.gz.

2010-02-06 23:04:58

by Justin P. Mattock

On 02/06/10 14:49, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>> But we've certainly fixed a few things, and it's been a week, so here's
>> -rc7. I wish I could say that it's the last -rc, but I strongly doubt
>> that, and we'll almost certainly have at least one more.
>
> Oh, and I forgot to ask one thing I had intended to ask in the release
> notes..
>
> Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files?
> I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip,
> because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also
> re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people
> are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.
>
> Of course, if you really care about bandwidth, you're better off just
> fetching the git trees instead, but the question for non-git users is:
>
> Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?
>
> Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
> requires the traditional .gz format..
>
> Linus

having .bz2 is always what I use, but one thing I've noticed if you
have a system without bzip2(or whatever the package tar depends on), tar
wont work with those.
I'd say keep with .tar.gz this way any system will always
uncompressed.

Justin P. Mattock

2010-02-07 04:54:45

by Mark Lord

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files?
> I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip,
> because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also
> re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people
> are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.
..

I prefer the .gz files, despite limited bandwidth here.
My older, slower CPUs cope with them better.

But .bz2-only would be fine as well.

I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
into a single flag.

-ml

2010-02-07 04:58:48

by Kyle McMartin

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:54:43PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
> into a single flag.

Shouldn't be needed anymore...

kyle@ihatethathostname ~/rpms/kernel/tarballs $ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.22
kyle@ihatethathostname ~/rpms/kernel/tarballs $ tar xvf
linux-2.6.31.tar.bz2 | head -n 2
linux-2.6.31/
linux-2.6.31/.gitignore

regards, Kyle

2010-02-07 05:07:28

by Justin P. Mattock

On 02/06/10 20:54, Mark Lord wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz
>> files? I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with
>> gzip, because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script
>> that also re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better
>> and many people are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better
>> compression.
> ..
>
> I prefer the .gz files, despite limited bandwidth here.
> My older, slower CPUs cope with them better.
>
> But .bz2-only would be fine as well.
>
> I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
> into a single flag.
>
> -ml

what about the new lz thing?
(heck haven't even figured that out yet).

Justin P. Mattock

2010-02-07 05:11:26

by Mark Lord

Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:54:43PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
>> I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
>> into a single flag.
..
> Shouldn't be needed anymore...
..

Ouch. 'tar xf' does indeed seem to work.
But I've got nearly 20 years of habit now in 'tar xzf',
and 'z' still fails on .bz2 files. Damn! ;)

2010-02-07 10:21:22

by Joel Becker

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 02:49:49PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?
>
> Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
> requires the traditional .gz format..

When I grab tarballs, I only grab .gz. Bandwidth isn't a
problem (3 minutes versus four on my DSL, I still switch over to another
screen and check back). But .bz2 unpacks very slowly in the
environments I'm usually grabbing a tarball for. I save more time
unpacking .gz than I do downloading .bz2.
That said, I'm often doing repeated unpacks, so I could easily
turn a .bz2 into .gz when I first grab it, then use the local .gz.

Joel

--

"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other
people."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (650) 506-8127

2010-02-07 10:41:46

by Justin P. Mattock

On 02/07/10 02:20, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 02:49:49PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?
>>
>> Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
>> requires the traditional .gz format..
>
> When I grab tarballs, I only grab .gz. Bandwidth isn't a
> problem (3 minutes versus four on my DSL, I still switch over to another
> screen and check back). But .bz2 unpacks very slowly in the
> environments I'm usually grabbing a tarball for. I save more time
> unpacking .gz than I do downloading .bz2.
> That said, I'm often doing repeated unpacks, so I could easily
> turn a .bz2 into .gz when I first grab it, then use the local .gz.
>
> Joel

(Not sure what the spec is.)
the question is:
if converting everything to .gz,
yes is easy for everybody, because they don't
need a bzip2 or xzutils(external app),
but results in Linus's server having more mb's

as opposed to having a bzip2, or lzma(xzutils)
resulting in less mb's on the server(Linus's server)?

I guess whatever gives Linus's server less space
since he's kind enough to publish this for everybody..

Justin P. Mattock

2010-02-07 10:49:59

by John Feuerstein

I've looked up the GNU tar history, just in case this is relevant:

[1] 1994-11-16 Version 1.11 -z --gzip
[2] 1999-02-01 Version 1.12 -y --bzip2
[3] 2000-10-24 Version 1.12+ -j --bzip2
[4] 2007-10-17 Version 1.20+ --lzma
[5] 2008-06-26 Version 1.20+ -J --lzma
[6] 2008-06-26 Version 1.20+ --lzop
[7] 2009-03-04 Version 1.21+ -J --xz

GNU Tar: http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/

[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=17badf1
[2] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=6ccb513
[3] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=caf6047
[4] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=620a136
[5] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=c9a7297
[6] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=c9a7297
[7] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commit;h=c10830a

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz
> files? I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with
> gzip, because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script
> that also re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better
> and many people are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better
> compression.

I prefer bzip2 or better, but then again, I'm usually working in GNU
environments.

Mark Lord wrote:
> what about the new lz thing?
> (heck haven't even figured that out yet).

Have a look at:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xz
- http://tukaani.org/xz/format.html

--
John Feuerstein <[email protected]>

2010-02-07 18:32:10

by Linus Torvalds

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Joel Becker wrote:

> When I grab tarballs, I only grab .gz. Bandwidth isn't a
> problem (3 minutes versus four on my DSL, I still switch over to another
> screen and check back). But .bz2 unpacks very slowly in the
> environments I'm usually grabbing a tarball for. I save more time
> unpacking .gz than I do downloading .bz2.

Ok, there seems to be a fair number of people who prefer .gz files for
whatever reason.

So I guess I'll stay with the current setup. It's only (somebody elses)
diskspace, after all.

Another option might be to stop generating the .bz2 files, of course.
Anybody who cares more about network bandwidth than CPU use (ie people who
would seem to prefer bz2) would be better off using git instead, which
packs things _way_ better, by virtue of being much more incremental.

But at that point, I'm not even involved any more, because that bz2
generation is entirely scripted at kernel.org.

Linus

2010-02-07 18:40:04

by Joerg Roedel

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:32:02AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Another option might be to stop generating the .bz2 files, of course.
> Anybody who cares more about network bandwidth than CPU use (ie people who
> would seem to prefer bz2) would be better off using git instead, which
> packs things _way_ better, by virtue of being much more incremental.

The .bz2 files are downloaded by the ketchup script. I use it sometimes
to get a specific kernel tree version on a machine without having to
look up the urls to download them manually. So there are users for the
.bz2 files too ;-)

Joerg

2010-02-07 20:04:24

by James Cloos

Mark> I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
Mark> into a single flag.

Try the -a flag:

-a, --auto-compress use archive suffix to determine the compression program

(Which does seem to be on by default, now, as mentioned in the other reply.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <[email protected]> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

2010-02-08 03:27:24

by H. Peter Anvin

On 02/06/2010 02:49 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Of course, if you really care about bandwidth, you're better off just
> fetching the git trees instead, but the question for non-git users is:
>
> Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?
>
> Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
> requires the traditional .gz format..

Please don't do that right now! First of all, we don't back up .bz2
files, since they are all autogenerated.

We're currently about to figure out how to manage the transition to .xz
on kernel.org.

At the moment, I personally prefer the notion of removing the .bz2 files
(as opposed to .gz) in favor of .xz for two reasons:

a) the .gz files are the current original content.
b) gzip is a lot faster than bzip2, but xz is as fast or faster than
bzip2 for decompression. bzip2 is bigger than xz and slower, and so
it doesn't have any unique reason to exist.

-hpa

by H. Peter Anvin

On 02/07/2010 11:10 AM, James Cloos wrote:

> Mark> I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
> Mark> into a single flag.
>
> Try the -a flag:
>
> -a, --auto-compress use archive suffix to determine the compression program
>
> (Which does seem to be on by default, now, as mentioned in the other reply.)

For decompression it should use magic numbers, not filenames. For
compression, using filenames as a heuristic I guess makes sense.

-hpa

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > When I grab tarballs, I only grab .gz. Bandwidth isn't a
> > problem (3 minutes versus four on my DSL, I still switch over to another
> > screen and check back). But .bz2 unpacks very slowly in the
> > environments I'm usually grabbing a tarball for. I save more time
> > unpacking .gz than I do downloading .bz2.
>
> Ok, there seems to be a fair number of people who prefer .gz files for
> whatever reason.
>
> So I guess I'll stay with the current setup. It's only (somebody elses)
> diskspace, after all.
>
> Another option might be to stop generating the .bz2 files, of
> course.

It would be good to keep ketchup working.

> Anybody who cares more about network bandwidth than CPU use (ie people who
> would seem to prefer bz2) would be better off using git instead, which
> packs things _way_ better, by virtue of being much more incremental.

Well, yes, but git did really badly on arm/128MB machine when I
tried. What would be *really* nice... could we get -rc-s relative to
each other?

That would help a lot. Of course, git wins when you only produce diffs
against .X release, but... That would be 80% bandwidth saving against
current situation and still cpu-friendly.

Pavel

by Jiri Slaby

On 02/08/2010 07:28 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> What would be *really* nice... could we get -rc-s relative to
> each other?

It's already there in incr/ subdir, isn't it?

--
js

2010-02-09 11:40:05

by Pádraig Brady

On 06/02/10 22:49, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Oh, and I forgot to ask one thing I had intended to ask in the release
> notes..
>
> Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files?
> I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip,
> because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also
> re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people
> are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.
>
> Of course, if you really care about bandwidth, you're better off just
> fetching the git trees instead, but the question for non-git users is:
>
> Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?
>
> Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
> requires the traditional .gz format..

For reference, we've stopped releasing bz2 files for the coreutils project.
We use gz for compatibility and xz for increased compression ratio/decompression speed.

$ rpm -q xz gzip bzip2
xz-4.999.9-0.1.beta.20091007git.fc11.i586
gzip-1.3.12-10.fc11.i586
bzip2-1.0.5-5.fc11.i586

$ bzip2 -dc linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.bz2 | xz > linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.xz
$ xz -dc linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.xz | gzip > linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.gz
$ l
-rw-rw-r-- 1 padraig 66,191,954 Feb 6 22:27 linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.bz2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 padraig 56,347,392 Feb 9 11:17 linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.xz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 padraig 85,300,209 Feb 9 11:20 linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.gz

$ time bzip2 -dc linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.bz2 >/dev/null
real 0m30.132s
$ time gzip -dc linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.gz >/dev/null
real 0m4.996s
$ time xz -dc linux-2.6.33-rc7.tar.xz >/dev/null
real 0m11.003s

cheers,
P?draig.

2010-02-10 08:14:53

by Pavel Machek

> On 02/08/2010 07:28 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > What would be *really* nice... could we get -rc-s relative to
> > each other?
>
> It's already there in incr/ subdir, isn't it?

Oops, you are right. I wonder if I need new ketchup...?