2002-11-06 15:23:13

by James Cloos

Subject: 2.5 bk, input driver and dell i8100 nib+pad

Trying out 2.5, I've got only a partially working mouse. The usb
mouse is fully functional, as are both sets of buttons on the
notebook. The mouse pad works, but the nib is ignored.

Of course, I only ever use the nib and only noticed that the pad was
working by accident.

I seem to recall a similar post some time back, but cannot find it in
my archives.

Any ideas?

I do need to reboot into 2.4 and clone my bk clone from the sbp2 disk
to the internal disk (ohci1394 is b0rked ATM) to see the .config I
ended up with....

The relevant X config is:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
Option "Protocol" "ps/2"
Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "USBmouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout[all]"
InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "USBmouse" "SendCoreEvents"
Option "Clone" "off"
Option "Xinerama" "off"
Screen "Screen[0]"
EndSection

-JimC

2002-11-06 16:42:06

by James Cloos

Subject: Re: 2.5 bk, input driver and dell i8100 nib+pad

Here is the input-relevant section of the .config that lets the pad
work but not the nib:

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1600
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=1200
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TSDEV is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set
# CONFIG_GAMEPORT is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
# CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710 is not set
# CONFIG_SERIO_PARKBD is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_INPORT is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_LOGIBM is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PC110PAD is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=y
CONFIG_BUSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_USB=m
# CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT=y
# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD_ALT=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=m
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
# CONFIG_HID_FF is not set
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
CONFIG_USB_KBD=m
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m
CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK=m
CONFIG_USB_WACOM=m
CONFIG_USB_POWERMATE=m
CONFIG_USB_XPAD=m

-JimC

2002-11-06 16:57:46

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> Trying out 2.5, I've got only a partially working mouse. The usb
> mouse is fully functional, as are both sets of buttons on the
> notebook. The mouse pad works, but the nib is ignored.

> Of course, I only ever use the nib and only noticed that the pad was
> working by accident.

> I seem to recall a similar post some time back, but cannot find it in
> my archives.

http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7774.html

I've since been playing with the docs for the SuperIO chip but I'm not
convinced we can actually talk to all four PS/2 ports individually unless
we reflash the 8051 firmware on it, which I don't really want to play with.

--
dwmw2

2002-11-06 17:30:24

by James Cloos

>> Of course, I only ever use the nib and only noticed that the pad
>> was working by accident.

>> I seem to recall a similar post some time back, but cannot find it
>> in my archives.

David> http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7774.html

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

-JimC

2002-11-07 04:11:52

by James Cloos

>> Trying out 2.5, I've got only a partially working mouse. The usb
>> mouse is fully functional, as are both sets of buttons on the
>> notebook. The mouse pad works, but the nib is ignored.

David> http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7774.html

The patch in the referenced post did not fix this for me in 2.5 bk
current. The nib continued to do nothing.

-JimC

2002-11-07 07:09:32

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> The patch in the referenced post did not fix this for me in 2.5 bk
> current. The nib continued to do nothing.

You need to reboot or suspend and resume, Just unloading and reloading the
psmouse module isn't sufficient.

--
dwmw2

2002-11-07 10:05:12

by James Cloos

>> The patch in the referenced post did not fix this for me in 2.5 bk
>> current. The nib continued to do nothing.

David> You need to reboot or suspend and resume, Just unloading and
David> reloading the psmouse module isn't sufficient.

Of course; I even incremented my EXTRAVERSION for the new kernel, and
the import and compile was done in a fresh clone....

-JimC

2002-11-07 10:23:39

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> Of course; I even incremented my EXTRAVERSION for the new kernel, and
> the import and compile was done in a fresh clone....

Weird. Does it come back to life if you suspend to RAM and resume? Does the
'mouse' get detected as a Synaptics Touchpad by the changed psmouse.c?

--
dwmw2

2002-11-07 13:41:41

by James Cloos

David> Weird. Does it come back to life if you suspend to RAM and
David> resume? Does the 'mouse' get detected as a Synaptics Touchpad
David> by the changed psmouse.c?

I have to do a new compile with the csets from overnight for the htree
bug before I can test that. But from /var/log I see:

kernel: input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1

with the patch and w/o the patch I had:

kernel: input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1

so that part of it at least was fixed.

-JimC

2002-12-11 01:24:05

by James Cloos

|> Weird. Does it come back to life if you suspend to RAM and resume?
|> Does the 'mouse' get detected as a Synaptics Touchpad by the
|> changed psmouse.c?

I've some more data on this. I'd had been some time until I was able
to get a 2.5 to boot enough to run X....

Anyway, at 2.5.50 + a few csets, I had a spot where gpm could see the
nib iff /dev/mouse was symlinked to /dev/input/mice (c 13 63) but not
if it was linked to /dev/psaux (c 10 1) as it had been.

I hoped from that that X would also work, but I've not been able to
replicate that success even with gpm. I don't know what magic insmod
made the difference (I wasn't trying to get it to work at the time,
just accidently hit the nib while at run level 3 and saw the gpm
cursor...).

As for a susend/resume cycle, this box has never been happy to do that.

-JimC