2002-03-12 20:05:25

by John Covici

Subject: vmware and 2.5 kernels ?

Hi. I am trying to get the vmware modules to compile with the 2.5
kernel (2.5.6-pre2). I replaced the malloc.h references with slab.h as
there is no longer a malloc.h, but I am still getting errors with
current->fd structures.

Anyone got this correct?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

--
John Covici

by Petr Vandrovec

Subject: Re: vmware and 2.5 kernels ?

On 12 Mar 02 at 15:04, John Covici wrote:

> Hi. I am trying to get the vmware modules to compile with the 2.5
> kernel (2.5.6-pre2). I replaced the malloc.h references with slab.h as
> there is no longer a malloc.h, but I am still getting errors with
> current->fd structures.

Get patches from usual place
(ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/, update8 is currently latest). You
must have VMware 3.0, as I do not (and nobody else does AFAIK) support
VMware 2.0 on 2.5.x kernels - you need to patch VMware binary to put
sysinfo() call into it, instead of parsing /proc/meminfo contents, which
changed before 2.5.1 (yes, they did not learn from 2.3.24 /proc/meminfo
lesson :-( ) and I have no interest in fixing it in old version.
VMware 3.1 will work on 2.5.6. I have no idea about future kernels, as
always...

If you are using VMware on oficially unsupported kernels, please
visit nntp://news.vmware.com/vmware.for-linux.experimental, you'll find
couple of your possible questions answered there.

And as always - there is no warranty, and I have no idea whether it is
legal to use my patch in the U.S.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec

by John Covici

Thanks much -- I will try this, but I haven't seen anything a

--
Thanks much -- I will try this and look for the 3.1 which I haven't
seen any announcement about.

by Petr Vandrovec

On 13 Mar 02 at 10:06, John Covici wrote:

> Thanks much -- I will try this and look for the 3.1 which I haven't
> seen any announcement about.

It is in invited beta stage just now, so you can either contact VMware
through your support contact, or you'll have to live with my patches.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
[email protected]