2001-02-06 15:02:01

by J.A. Magallon

Subject: /dev/shm mount visible

Hi,

Just a little question. In previous kernels and shm patches the /dev/shm
filesytem was invisible under a 'mount' query (just managed like procfs
or devpts). Now it appears listed under a mount command. Is it normal ?
Does mount show it coz it is no more 'special' or hidden in any way ?

(now i'm running 2.4.1-ac3)

--
J.A. Magallon $> cd pub
mailto:[email protected] $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.4.1-ac3 #1 SMP Tue Feb 6 01:06:05 CET 2001 i686

2001-02-06 19:08:54

by Christoph Rohland

Subject: Re: /dev/shm mount visible

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, [email protected] wrote:
> Just a little question. In previous kernels and shm patches the
> /dev/shm filesytem was invisible under a 'mount' query (just managed
> like procfs or devpts).

mount does always show all mounted fses. I asume you mean df.

> Now it appears listed under a mount command. Is it normal ? Does
> mount show it coz it is no more 'special' or hidden in any way ?

Because shm fs now estimates the free space when not given any
limits. This is needed to use it as /tmp for some applications.

Greetings
Christoph

2001-02-06 19:13:04

by J.A. Magallon

On 02.06 Christoph Rohland wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, [email protected] wrote:
> > Just a little question. In previous kernels and shm patches the
> > /dev/shm filesytem was invisible under a 'mount' query (just managed
> > like procfs or devpts).
>
> mount does always show all mounted fses. I asume you mean df.

Right, was checking both things...