2004-03-24 02:42:03

by Ameer Armaly

Subject: missing files in bk trees?

Hi all.
I got the latest kernel tree from linux.bkbits.net, and I try to make
config, and it complains about a missing zconf.tab.h. However, it has
decrypted the other sccs files, but for some oodd reason it can't find
this particular one. Suggestions would be appriciated.
Thanks,

Ameer

2004-03-24 02:50:06

by Joshua Kwan

Subject: Re: missing files in bk trees?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:41:46 -0500, ameer armaly wrote:
> Hi all.
> I got the latest kernel tree from linux.bkbits.net, and I try to make
> config, and it complains about a missing zconf.tab.h. However, it has
> decrypted the other sccs files, but for some oodd reason it can't find
> this particular one. Suggestions would be appriciated.
> Thanks,

you need to do 'bk -r get' in the root of your checkout

--
Joshua Kwan

2004-03-24 04:35:31

by Theodore Ts'o

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 06:50:16PM -0800, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:41:46 -0500, ameer armaly wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I got the latest kernel tree from linux.bkbits.net, and I try to make
> > config, and it complains about a missing zconf.tab.h. However, it has
> > decrypted the other sccs files, but for some oodd reason it can't find
> > this particular one. Suggestions would be appriciated.
> > Thanks,
>
> you need to do 'bk -r get' in the root of your checkout

Better to do a "bk -r get -S", actually. That way files that are
already checked out won't be created a second time.

- Ted

2004-03-24 09:22:18

by Gabriel Paubert

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:35:22PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 06:50:16PM -0800, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:41:46 -0500, ameer armaly wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > > I got the latest kernel tree from linux.bkbits.net, and I try to make
> > > config, and it complains about a missing zconf.tab.h. However, it has
> > > decrypted the other sccs files, but for some oodd reason it can't find
> > > this particular one. Suggestions would be appriciated.
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > you need to do 'bk -r get' in the root of your checkout
>
> Better to do a "bk -r get -S", actually. That way files that are
> already checked out won't be created a second time.

Even better is "bk -Ur get -S", which won't check out ChangeSet and the
files in the BitKeeper/ and its subdirectories. The most visible effect
is that it avoids checking out the 3000+ files in BitKeeper/deleted
(3098 as of this morning).

Regards,
Gabriel

2004-03-24 18:48:47

by James Cloos

Josh> you need to do 'bk -r get' in the root of your checkout

Ted> Better to do a "bk -r get -S", actually. That way files
Ted> that are already checked out won't be created a second time.

And even better, add a -U to skip the deleted files and others
under the BitKeeper dir:

bk -r -U get -S

-JimC

2004-03-24 20:02:15

by Andy Isaacson

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:41:46PM -0500, ameer armaly wrote:
> I got the latest kernel tree from linux.bkbits.net, and I try to make
> config, and it complains about a missing zconf.tab.h. However, it has
> decrypted the other sccs files, but for some oodd reason it can't find
> this particular one. Suggestions would be appriciated.

The build fails on this file because the kernel makefiles don't have
complete dependency information. Make is smart enough to automatically
check out foo.c and foo.h if you say

foo.o: foo.c foo.h
$(CC) -c foo.c -o foo.o

but in the absence of that information, make cannot deduce it.

The work-around is to simply check out everything before running make:
% bk -Ur get -S

-andy

2004-03-24 21:11:35

by Ameer Armaly

Subject: Re: missing files in bk tree

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:41:46PM -0500, ameer armaly wrote:
> > I got the latest kernel tree from linux.bkbits.net, and I try to make
> > config, and it complains about a missing zconf.tab.h. However, it has
> > decrypted the other sccs files, but for some oodd reason it can't find
> > this particular one. Suggestions would be appriciated.
>
> The build fails on this file because the kernel makefiles don't have
> complete dependency information. Make is smart enough to automatically
> check out foo.c and foo.h if you say
>
> foo.o: foo.c foo.h
> $(CC) -c foo.c -o foo.o
>
> but in the absence of that information, make cannot deduce it.
>
> The work-around is to simply check out everything before running make:
> % bk -Ur get -S

Thanks; It worked.