2002-02-20 17:24:44

by Elieser Leão

Subject: Lucent WinModem

How can I use my LT Winmodem on Slackware???
I have a driver but doesn't work!!!! I don't know why...

--
------------------------
Elieser Le?o

"Computers are like air conditioners.
They stop working when you open Windows."
(Anonymous)

2002-02-20 17:32:04

by Alan

Subject: Re: Lucent WinModem

> How can I use my LT Winmodem on Slackware???
> I have a driver but doesn't work!!!! I don't know why...

Ask the binary only driver provider.

This list is about free software, and nobody else but the driver vendor
can really help you

2002-02-20 17:45:44

by William Stearns

Good day, Elieser,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Elieser Le?o wrote:

> How can I use my LT Winmodem on Slackware???
> I have a driver but doesn't work!!!! I don't know why...

Please see http://www.linmodems.org/ for more information and a
mailing list where your question should go.
Cheers,
- Bill

"I've discovered that using VMS is a lot like driving a nail
with your head: sure, you eventually get something practical done, but
it usually results in a headache and some blood loss."
(Courtesy of Dmitri <[email protected]> and Sean A. Simpson)
William Stearns ([email protected]). Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns
LinuxMonth; articles for Linux Enthusiasts! http://www.linuxmonth.com

by Nadav Har'El

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002, Alan Cox wrote about "Re: Lucent WinModem":
> > How can I use my LT Winmodem on Slackware???
> > I have a driver but doesn't work!!!! I don't know why...
>
> Ask the binary only driver provider.
>
> This list is about free software, and nobody else but the driver vendor
> can really help you

Actually, I think that Lucent's driver has been open source (I didn't check
how "free" their license is) for at least a year now. No more of these ugly
binary drivers that you had to apply binary patches (aggh!) to on every
kernel version.

A quick google search turned out http://www.heby.de/ltmodem as a place you
can get the sources.

I'm using such a driver on my laptop (Redhat 7.2), I compiled it myself (I
don't know why Redhat doesn't include a module for this modem - maybe it
isn't "free enough") and the modem is working nicely.

--
Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 21 2002, 9 Adar 5762
[email protected] |-----------------------------------------

2002-02-21 10:52:50

by Christoph Rohland

Hi Nadav,

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002, Alan Cox wrote about "Re: Lucent WinModem":
> Actually, I think that Lucent's driver has been open source (I
> didn't check how "free" their license is) for at least a year
> now. No more of these ugly binary drivers that you had to apply
> binary patches (aggh!) to on every kernel version.

Nope, in the archive you will find a file ltmdmobj.o. The rest is a
wrapper for this binary only driver.

Greetings
Christoph

2002-02-21 20:37:27

by Todd M. Roy

If you unpack ltmodem, then source.tar.gz you will find an object
module that you don't have to source to. Therefor the lucent winmodem
code can't be open source.

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:55:13 +0200
> From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email protected]>
> Cc: Elieser =?iso-8859-8-i?Q?Le=E3o?= <[email protected]>,
> linux-kernel <[email protected]>
> Sender: [email protected]
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002, Alan Cox wrote about "Re: Lucent WinModem":
> > > How can I use my LT Winmodem on Slackware???
> > > I have a driver but doesn't work!!!! I don't know why...
> >
> > Ask the binary only driver provider.
> >
> > This list is about free software, and nobody else but the driver vendor
> > can really help you
>
> Actually, I think that Lucent's driver has been open source (I didn't check
> how "free" their license is) for at least a year now. No more of these ugly
> binary drivers that you had to apply binary patches (aggh!) to on every
> kernel version.
>
> A quick google search turned out http://www.heby.de/ltmodem as a place you
> can get the sources.
>
> I'm using such a driver on my laptop (Redhat 7.2), I compiled it myself (I
> don't know why Redhat doesn't include a module for this modem - maybe it
> isn't "free enough") and the modem is working nicely.
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 21 2002, 9 Adar 5762
> [email protected] |-----------------------------------------
> Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A smart man always covers his ass. A wise
> http://nadav.harel.org.il |man just keeps his pants on.
> -

by Pavel Machek

hi!

> > How can I use my LT Winmodem on Slackware???
> > I have a driver but doesn't work!!!! I don't know why...
>
> Ask the binary only driver provider.
>
> This list is about free software, and nobody else but the driver vendor
> can really help you

Well... no. HW driver is already done, so what we need is someone
implementing opensource V.34/V.90. Anyone can do that.
Pavel