2007-01-28 01:36:42

by Rob Landley

Subject: The mbox format archives of linux-kernel are gone.

I would like to find the history of linux-kernel in mbox format. I thought it
was under http://kernel.org/pub but apparently not.

Rooting around at http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-kernel points
to a bunch of stale links. (The alaska archive is gone, the helsinki one
stopped in 2004, the indiana one mbox link is 404...)

The linux-kernel faq's archives entry points to web archives, where I can look
up one post at a time. I could do that through google groups. I used to be
able to see "month at a time" indexes at lists.insecure.org, but that took
its' linux-kernel archive down last year.

I found Zach Brown asking for them and getting them anonymously sent to him,
but no download link and one reason I want them is Kernel Traffic stopped
updating in 2005 and I've fallen behind on the list again.

This link:
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2005-February/019865.html

Suggests that mbox files may be found on lkml.org, which doesn't seem to be
true (not on their current main page, nor archive.org, nor any browsing
around I've managed to do...)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Google is being unhelpful...

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

2007-01-28 05:34:11

by Andrew Morton

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:36:31 -0500
Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:

> I would like to find the history of linux-kernel in mbox format. I thought it
> was under http://kernel.org/pub but apparently not.
>
> Rooting around at http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-kernel points
> to a bunch of stale links. (The alaska archive is gone, the helsinki one
> stopped in 2004, the indiana one mbox link is 404...)
>
> The linux-kernel faq's archives entry points to web archives, where I can look
> up one post at a time. I could do that through google groups. I used to be
> able to see "month at a time" indexes at lists.insecure.org, but that took
> its' linux-kernel archive down last year.
>
> I found Zach Brown asking for them and getting them anonymously sent to him,
> but no download link and one reason I want them is Kernel Traffic stopped
> updating in 2005 and I've fallen behind on the list again.
>
> This link:
> http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2005-February/019865.html
>
> Suggests that mbox files may be found on lkml.org, which doesn't seem to be
> true (not on their current main page, nor archive.org, nor any browsing
> around I've managed to do...)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Google is being unhelpful...

I have them going back to October 2000. I guess I can upload them
after various bandwidth-using offspring have finished playing counterstrike
and WoW.

2007-01-28 07:52:23

by Dirk Behme

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:36:31 -0500
> Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I would like to find the history of linux-kernel in mbox format.
> I have them going back to October 2000. I guess I can upload them
> after various bandwidth-using offspring have finished playing counterstrike
> and WoW.

Any chance to have anything like an auto-update mbox archive
of LKML? Would be nice for people not permanently subscribed
to LKML.

Regards

Dirk

2007-01-28 09:15:25

by Benny Amorsen

DB> Any chance to have anything like an auto-update mbox archive of
DB> LKML? Would be nice for people not permanently subscribed to LKML.

Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if it
isn't exactly what you asked for.

/Benny

2007-01-28 16:30:47

by Dave Kleikamp

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> DB> Any chance to have anything like an auto-update mbox archive of
> DB> LKML? Would be nice for people not permanently subscribed to LKML.
>
> Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if it
> isn't exactly what you asked for.

I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good method if
you want to reply to an email. You're email was only sent to the list
and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.

Shaggy
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

2007-01-28 16:57:58

by Benny Amorsen

DK> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>> Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if
>> it isn't exactly what you asked for.

DK> I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good
DK> method if you want to reply to an email. You're email was only
DK> sent to the list and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.

True. There has been a few flame wars over whether it is good
netiquette to send both to the list and to the person though -- and
some newsreaders can be told to send courtesy copies by email.

/Benny

2007-01-28 17:27:50

by Andrey Borzenkov

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> DK> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 10:17 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>> Perhaps nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel can help, even if
>>> it isn't exactly what you asked for.
>
> DK> I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good
> DK> method if you want to reply to an email. You're email was only
> DK> sent to the list and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.
>
> True. There has been a few flame wars over whether it is good
> netiquette to send both to the list and to the person though -- and
> some newsreaders can be told to send courtesy copies by email.

It is not newgroup, it is lkml where keeping Cc list is standard. Answering
via gmane unfortunately completely trims Cc list, keeping at most sender
and list but not recipients of message. May be other newsreaders behave
better (using Knode)

-andrey

2007-01-28 22:38:18

by Oleg Verych

> From: Andrey Borzenkov <[email protected]>
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
> Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:24:43 +0300

Hallo.

>> DK> I like to read the mailing list this way, but it's not a good
>> DK> method if you want to reply to an email. You're email was only
>> DK> sent to the list and not to the Dirk, who you were replying to.
>>
>> True. There has been a few flame wars over whether it is good
>> netiquette to send both to the list and to the person though -- and
>> some newsreaders can be told to send courtesy copies by email.
>>

> It is not newgroup, it is lkml where keeping Cc list is standard. Answering
> via gmane unfortunately completely trims Cc list, keeping at most sender
> and list but not recipients of message. May be other newsreaders behave
> better (using Knode)

Yes. LKML is a list, list with heavy load. For better tracking of
threads, MUA maybe better, sometimes.

Problem with Cc list isn't problem, actually:
<http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html>

("Reply-To" is forbidden by vger)

If this will be adopted by all Mail/News UAs, it will be OK.

As for my slrn, it lets me to edit whole message, i.e. incuding
headers, so until i will implement something in the sources, i can
copy "MAil-Followup-To" by hands ;D

If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
please.

> -andrey

____

2007-01-29 01:44:35

by Oleg Verych

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:17:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:46:32 +0000
> Oleg Verych <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
> > please.
>
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/lkml-mbox-archives/

I think, whole set, possibly from most active start years, say 1993, 1994
or so, must be collected, then i can contact Lars to try to import all
this into Gmane with current web links being preserved.

BTW, donwloading (big) sets of archives _from_ Gmane is strongly
discouraged.

____

2007-01-29 05:59:48

by Rob Landley

On Sunday 28 January 2007 8:52 pm, Oleg Verych wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:17:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:46:32 +0000
> > Oleg Verych <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > If somebody will get lkml mbox archive, can you import it into gmane,
> > > please.
> >
> > http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/lkml-mbox-archives/
>
> I think, whole set, possibly from most active start years, say 1993, 1994
> or so, must be collected, then i can contact Lars to try to import all
> this into Gmane with current web links being preserved.
>
> BTW, donwloading (big) sets of archives _from_ Gmane is strongly
> discouraged.

The very early archives are available on the web:
http://www.kclug.org/old_archives/linux-activists/

And I'm under the impression that Alan Cox once collected a complete set of
mbox archives, but this is a vague an unfocused recollection of something
going by years ago. (I also thought the result was downloadable under
kernel.org/pub somewhere. This would not appear to be the case.)

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

2007-01-29 06:29:10

by Dave Jones

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:59:27AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 8:52 pm, Oleg Verych wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:17:06PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/lkml-mbox-archives/
> >
> > I think, whole set, possibly from most active start years, say 1993, 1994
> > or so, must be collected, then i can contact Lars to try to import all
> > this into Gmane with current web links being preserved.
> >
> > BTW, donwloading (big) sets of archives _from_ Gmane is strongly
> > discouraged.
>
> The very early archives are available on the web:
> http://www.kclug.org/old_archives/linux-activists/
>
> And I'm under the impression that Alan Cox once collected a complete set of
> mbox archives, but this is a vague an unfocused recollection of something
> going by years ago. (I also thought the result was downloadable under
> kernel.org/pub somewhere. This would not appear to be the case.)

ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/history/funet-archive/
ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/alan/Kernel/Documents/Old-Funet-Lists
has some of the really early stuff.

Until recently I had a bunch of mid 90s to early 2000's in mboxes too,
but a disk accident seems to have eaten the only copies I had.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk