2003-01-09 08:19:13

by Andres Salomon

Subject: 2.5.x inspiron touchpad breakage

2.5.54 and 2.5.55 do not appear to initialize the touchpad on my Dell
Inspiron 3800. No mouse device is detected until I plug a normal ps/2
mouse into the laptop. I assume this is some weird bios thing. 2.4.x
works fine with it. Does anyone have suggestions about where to look for
any changed in the 2.5 series that might've broken it, or any patches that
fix it?

2003-01-09 13:35:31

by Andrew McGregor

Subject: Re: 2.5.x inspiron touchpad breakage

Works for me on an Inspiron 8000. The trackpoint does not, which is a
known bug. Of course, the 3800 might be different...

Have you been bitten by the input layer configuration issue? Here's what I
have:

#
# Input device support
#
CONFIG_INPUT=y

#
# Userland interfaces
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y

#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

Andrew

--On Thursday, January 09, 2003 03:27:54 -0500 Andres Salomon
<[email protected]> wrote:

> 2.5.54 and 2.5.55 do not appear to initialize the touchpad on my Dell
> Inspiron 3800. No mouse device is detected until I plug a normal ps/2
> mouse into the laptop. I assume this is some weird bios thing. 2.4.x
> works fine with it. Does anyone have suggestions about where to look for
> any changed in the 2.5 series that might've broken it, or any patches that
> fix it?
>
> -

by Andres Salomon

The appropriate config section from my kernel:

#
# Input device support
#
CONFIG_INPUT=y

#
# Userland interfaces
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024

#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=m
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_MISC is not set

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TSDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set

#
# Input I/O drivers
#
# CONFIG_GAMEPORT is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710=m

The inspiron uses an i8042 for the keyboard and the external ps/2
mouse/keyboard port. I'm not sure what it uses for the touchpad.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:43:57 +1300, Andrew McGregor wrote:

> Works for me on an Inspiron 8000. The trackpoint does not, which is a
> known bug. Of course, the 3800 might be different...
>
> Have you been bitten by the input layer configuration issue? Here's what I
> have:
>
> #
> # Input device support
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT=y
>
> #
> # Userland interfaces
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
>
> #
> # Input Device Drivers
> #
> CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
>
> Andrew
>
> --On Thursday, January 09, 2003 03:27:54 -0500 Andres Salomon
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> 2.5.54 and 2.5.55 do not appear to initialize the touchpad on my Dell
>> Inspiron 3800. No mouse device is detected until I plug a normal ps/2
>> mouse into the laptop. I assume this is some weird bios thing. 2.4.x
>> works fine with it. Does anyone have suggestions about where to look for
>> any changed in the 2.5 series that might've broken it, or any patches that
>> fix it?
>>
>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2003-01-10 08:51:02

by Niels den Otter

On Friday, 10 January 2003, Andrew McGregor wrote:
> Works for me on an Inspiron 8000. The trackpoint does not, which is a
> known bug. Of course, the 3800 might be different...

My Dell Latitude C400 has both a touchpad and a trackpoint as well.
After a cold boot of 2.5.55 (and previous kernels) only the touchpad
appears to work. To get the trackpoint working I need to hibernate my
laptop and wake it up again. Didn't have this problem with 2.4 kernels.

-- Niels