2004-04-18 16:25:42

by Markus Hästbacka

Subject: 2.6.5 pts problem

Hi list,
I noticed something strange this day last week:
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
midian :0 - Thu20 ?xdm? 1:32m 2.98s
/usr/bin/gnome-session
midian pts/0 :0.0 Thu20 1:49 18.91s 18.91s ssh midi
midian pts/51 :0:S.0 Thu22 1:33 6.43s 6.43s irssi
midian pts/92 :0.0 19:08 14:19 2.14s 2.14s ncftp
ftp.fi.netbsd.org
midian pts/93 :0.0 19:24 0.00s 0.00s 0.00s w
^^
As you see, pts is just growing, not using the old used numbers.

Markus

2004-04-18 21:48:55

by Joshua Kwan

Subject: Re: 2.6.5 pts problem

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:25:40 +0300, Markus H?stbacka wrote:
> midian pts/93 :0.0 19:24 0.00s 0.00s 0.00s w
> ^^
> As you see, pts is just growing, not using the old used numbers.

The implementation was changed intentionally to make it that way. The
numbers will only be recycled once we go over the max number of
psuedoterminals, I think..

--
Joshua Kwan

2004-04-19 08:14:17

by Albert Cahalan

>> As you see, pts is just growing, not using the old used numbers.
>
> The implementation was changed intentionally to make
> it that way. The numbers will only be recycled once we
> go over the max number of psuedoterminals, I think..

You can also recycle the numbers by rebooting.
That's what I do. :-/

(I can't be spending 10% of my disk on a giant wtmp
file. Also, I use the tty names for xterm titles now.
If they get too big, the GNOME taskbar button titles
get truncated.)

2004-04-19 09:14:13

by Jorge Bernal

On Lunes, 19 de Abril de 2004 07:52, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> >> As you see, pts is just growing, not using the old used numbers.
> >
> > The implementation was changed intentionally to make
> > it that way. The numbers will only be recycled once we
> > go over the max number of psuedoterminals, I think..
>
> You can also recycle the numbers by rebooting.
> That's what I do. :-/

and what about making that configurable.

I mean putting a config option to select between "recyclable" and
"non-recyclable" pts numbers. Or maybe via /proc