2005-04-12 10:23:40

by Andrew Morton

Subject: incoming

As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
knowing what's hitting the main tree.

This is the first live test of Linus's git-importing ability. I'm about
to disappear for 1.5 weeks - hope we'll still have a kernel left when I
get back.

- As we're still a fair way from 2.6.12 and things are still backing up,
it's a relatively large update.

- Various arch updates

- Big x86_64 update, as discussed

- decent-sized ppc32, ppc64 updates

- big infiniband update

- very nearly the last batch of u32->pm_message_t conversions. Some
other bits of this will be sitting out in subsystem trees - this is just
the stuff which doesn't overlap.

- the important fixes from the md, nfs4 queues

- other random fixes and things we probably want to have in 2.6.12.

- I'd draw especial Linus attention to:

"fix crash in entry.S restore_all" and
"pci enumeration on ixp2000: overflow in kernel/resource.c"

2005-04-12 11:33:00

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: incoming

David Vrabel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
> all to one thread?

I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

Hopefully we'll have the commits list running next time...

2005-04-12 11:37:26

by David Vrabel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> David Vrabel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
>> all to one thread?
>
> I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
> become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

I meant something like this:

[patch 000/100] Foo-ize the baz.
[patch 001/100] Frob the baz
[patch 002/100] baz cleanups
[patch 003/100] apply foo-ization to baz

Rather than

[patch 000/100] Foo-ize the baz.
[patch 001/100] Frob the baz
[patch 002/100] baz cleanups
[patch 003/100] apply foo-ization to baz

Which would (as you rightly pointed out) be ludicrous.

i.e., all the patches are replys to the summary.

David Vrabel

2005-04-12 12:03:36

by David Vrabel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
all to one thread? Perhaps as a reply to a summary? 1 thread to ignore
is preferable to 198.

David Vrabel

2005-04-12 14:46:31

by Chris Friesen

Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

I'd like to second the idea of having all the patches be replies to this
original posting (ie one level of indenting for all patches). That way
a threaded view will only have one subject line for all 198 patches.

Chris

2005-04-12 20:31:48

by Matthias Urlichs

Hi, Andrew Morton schrub am Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:10:45 -0700:

> David Vrabel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
>> all to one thread?
>
> I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
> become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

Umm, what stops you from letting all the parts refer to part zero,
instead of part n-1?

--
Matthias Urlichs | {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de | [email protected]

2005-04-12 21:10:08

by Russell King

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:23:22AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

I don't see a patch which adds linux/pm.h to linux/sysdev.h, which is
required to fix ARM builds in -rc2 and onwards kernels.

It is my understanding that you have such a patch, and if it isn't
going to be sent, I'd like to send my own fix so that ARM can start
building again in mainline.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core

2005-04-12 21:17:59

by Russell King

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:08:00PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Russell King <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I don't see a patch which adds linux/pm.h to linux/sysdev.h, which is
> > required to fix ARM builds in -rc2 and onwards kernels.
>
> That fix is buried in [patch 105/198]

Great, thanks. I must have missed it, sorry.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core

2005-04-12 21:18:07

by Andrew Morton

Russell King <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't see a patch which adds linux/pm.h to linux/sysdev.h, which is
> required to fix ARM builds in -rc2 and onwards kernels.

That fix is buried in [patch 105/198]

2005-04-14 11:48:36

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

Is it me, or were really only 117 mails of the 198 sent to lkml?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2005-04-14 11:57:38

by Paulo Marques

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>>As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
>>on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
>>knowing what's hitting the main tree.
>

> Is it me, or were really only 117 mails of the 198 sent to lkml?

(?)

I just double-checked, and I can say that I received all 198 emails from
vger...

--
Paulo Marques - http://www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

2005-04-14 15:38:16

by Lee Revell

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 13:48 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> > on this lot. Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> > knowing what's hitting the main tree.
>
> Is it me, or were really only 117 mails of the 198 sent to lkml?

The patch bombing seems to have really wedged vger. It took up to 24
hours to get all the messages.

Looks like Andrew's patch bomb script needs some rate limiting ;-)

Lee

2005-04-16 09:01:40

by Paul Jackson

Andrew wrote:
> I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
> become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

My sendpatchset tool should be good for this. It sends all but the
first message are sent in "Reference" to, and "In-Reply-To" the first
message.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pj99/sgi/sendpatchset

I use it when sending out multiple patches in sequence from a quilt
repository.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability

2005-04-16 09:05:04

by Paul Jackson

> Looks like Andrew's patch bomb script needs some rate limiting ;-)

sendpatchset has that, already builtin ;)

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pj99/sgi/sendpatchset

Though the 5 second delay might not be enough for someone
publishing at the rate Andrew does.