2002-02-27 19:39:01

by Rick Stevens

Subject: Big file support

I'm not certain if this is the right place, but are there plans to
have big file support (files >2GB) anytime soon? I ask, as we use
Linux to serve LOTS of streaming media and the logs for popular sites
often exceed 2GB. I'd like to see the ability to handle at least 16GB
files, possibly more.

Please cc: me on any replies if possible. I've been REALLY busy and
am finding it hard to keep up with l-k traffic.

Thanks!
- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc. [email protected] -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice) http://www.vitalstream.com -
- -
- Never eat anything larger than your head -

by Jon

Subject: Re: Big file support

This support has been in ReiserFS for some time. On a SuSE system running
2.4.16 (their official kernel) you can issue: mkreiserfs -v2 /dev/sdaxxx and
there you go, LFS is in ver2.

Regards,

jon
> I'm not certain if this is the right place, but are there plans to
> have big file support (files >2GB) anytime soon? I ask, as we use
> Linux to serve LOTS of streaming media and the logs for popular sites
> often exceed 2GB. I'd like to see the ability to handle at least 16GB
> files, possibly more.
>
> Please cc: me on any replies if possible. I've been REALLY busy and
> am finding it hard to keep up with l-k traffic.
>
> Thanks!

by Barubary

A lot of the kernel supports big files already. The real problem is the
fact that the primary Linux file system, ext3, does not. If you use some
file system besides ext3, big files should work.

Linux already has API calls to read big files.

-- Barubary

> I'm not certain if this is the right place, but are there plans to
> have big file support (files >2GB) anytime soon? I ask, as we use
> Linux to serve LOTS of streaming media and the logs for popular sites
> often exceed 2GB. I'd like to see the ability to handle at least 16GB
> files, possibly more.
>
> Please cc: me on any replies if possible. I've been REALLY busy and
> am finding it hard to keep up with l-k traffic.
>
> Thanks!

by Alan

> A lot of the kernel supports big files already. The real problem is the
> fact that the primary Linux file system, ext3, does not. If you use some
> file system besides ext3, big files should work.

This is incorrect information. Ext3 supports large files. Whoever told
you otherwise was wrong.

2002-02-27 20:36:45

by Matti Aarnio

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 12:02:12PM -0800, Barubary wrote:
> A lot of the kernel supports big files already. The real problem is the
> fact that the primary Linux file system, ext3, does not. If you use some
> file system besides ext3, big files should work.

Bullshit. EXT2/EXT3 does support large files. Has done so since
kernel 1.2 in fact, altough formely only at 64 bit machines.

Since 2.4 the kernel has been changed internally so that it supports
large files also at measly 32 bit thingies including i386...

There are several filesystems which are 64-bit/large-file supporting,
but also some which are inherently incapable to exceed 2G or 4G.

It looks like the LOOP driver lands in between -- it should be LFS
capable, but it isn't.

> Linux already has API calls to read big files.

Those were done for 2.4 kernel too.

> -- Barubary

by Chris Wedgwood