Subject: problem in booting HP zx6000 with stock kernel 2.5.75

Hello everybody

I am trying to boot 2 CPU hp zx6000 machine (ia64, itanium2) from STOCK
kernel version 2.5.75. I have followed following steps.

1. I have downloaded the kernel from http://www.kernel.org . Also I have applied
ia64 patch (from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ports/ia64/v2.5/linux-2.5.75-ia64-030
712.diff.gz) on it .

2. Now I have build the kernel (using make compressed) for ia64 processor
type hp-zx1. (With ia64 processor type "generic" I got errors on compilation
like NR_NODES are not declared.. etc.).

3. I have copied vmlinuz.gz (using mcopy) to vfat mounted partition
(/boot/efi/efi/redhat) and made appropriate entries in elilo.conf.

4. Now I have rebooted the system and tried to load the image using EFI
shell.

5. The kernel hangs after uncompressing the kernel successfully. Nothing is
working here, neither keyboard nor anything else.

Kindly provide me appropriate guidance.. , where am I wrong ?

I have following doubts: -

1. Is it possible to build and run _stock_ kernel (not redhat patched
kernel, as redhat advanced distribution is available on my machine) on hp
zx6000 machine ? Do I need additional patches the stock kernel + ia64 patch
?

PLEASE CC REPLY TO ME ALSO..

Thanks in advance..

Deepak Kumar Gupta
HCL Technologies Limited
NOIDA, UP
INDIA.

2003-11-09 18:57:28

by David Mosberger-Tang

Deepak> Hello everybody I am trying to boot 2 CPU hp zx6000 machine
Deepak> (ia64, itanium2) from STOCK kernel version 2.5.75. I have
Deepak> followed following steps.

2.5.75? Why such an old kernel?

Deepak> Kindly provide me appropriate guidance.. , where am I wrong?

For a zx6000, you're better off configuring it as ZX1 system, rather
than GENERIC. The latter should also work, but will be (slightly)
less efficient (and the kernel will be needlessly bigger).

Deepak> I have following doubts: -

Deepak> 1. Is it possible to build and run _stock_ kernel (not
Deepak> redhat patched kernel, as redhat advanced distribution is
Deepak> available on my machine) on hp zx6000 machine ?

Yes, but you do need something newer than 2.5.75. Try 2.6.0-test9.

Deepak> Do I need additional patches the stock kernel + ia64 patch ?

No patch is needed. There still is a patch, but if you don't care
about the last drop of performance and/or early printk-support, you
don't need it.

BTW: The daily build-status of Linus' kernel tree can be found here:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/kerncomp/
You can also get know-to-be-good .config files from there.

Also, in the future you may want to use [email protected] for
such question, since that mailing list is focused on ia64.

--david

2003-11-10 05:03:43

by Ameya Mitragotri

"Deepak Kumar Gupta, Noida" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> 5. The kernel hangs after uncompressing the kernel successfully.
Nothing is
> working here, neither keyboard nor anything else.

Which SCSI driver is configured? I had a qla driver and i faced a
panic while booting 2.6.0-test5. This patch solved my problem

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0309.2/0331.html

Hope that helps,
Ameya

> "Deepak Kumar Gupta, Noida" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > 5. The kernel hangs after uncompressing the kernel successfully.
> Nothing is
> > working here, neither keyboard nor anything else.
>
> Which SCSI driver is configured? I had a qla driver and i faced a
> panic while booting 2.6.0-test5. This patch solved my problem
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0309.2/0331.html

In my case after uncompressing the kernel, it just hangs. Even the SCSI disk
driver is not loaded, so i guess problem is some where else. I am using
Symbios (SYM53C8XX) driver.

Thanks
Deepak.

2003-11-10 16:25:30

by Alex Williamson

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 22:28, Deepak Kumar Gupta, Noida wrote:

> In my case after uncompressing the kernel, it just hangs. Even the SCSI disk
> driver is not loaded, so i guess problem is some where else. I am using
> Symbios (SYM53C8XX) driver.

Deepak,

As David mentioned, 2.5.75 is rather old. Please try 2.6.0-test9 and
start with one of the configs David pointed at on the Gelato URL. If
you're using a VGA console, it's easy to configure the kernel to not get
output where you want it. If you're trying to use a serial console,
make sure you're appending a 'console=ttyS0,<speed>n8' to your elilo
entry. Note that it depends how you have your firmware setup as to
whether ttyS0 is the builtin UART port or the 'console' port on the
management port (if you have one). You can check this in the EFI boot
option maintenance menu. Choose one, and only one, UART port for the
console output device. The PNP0501 entry is the builtin UART, the
HWP0002 is the management port. Also, the on-board scsi controller for
the zx6000 is the mpt fusion driver, not the sym driver. Thanks,

Alex

--
Alex Williamson HP Linux & Open Source Lab